Author Topic: My not-so-vintage Omega Seamaster cal.1110  (Read 4047 times)

Offline jefflwc

• Freshie
My not-so-vintage Omega Seamaster cal.1110
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:19 PM »
This Omega Seamaster, ref MD166.0281 cal.1110 (which I believe is an Omega cal for ETA2892-A2) belonged to my late father, and he had this watch since 1985. He wore this as his only watch until his passing in 1991. I was still much too young to appreciate his watch back then. This watch was then kept by my mom in a box and left in the cupboard where it stayed there for more than 20 years until about 3 years back, where the WIS in me piqued my curiosity of his watch. I remember taking it out from the box, and waking/winding it up from its 20 years of hibernation, and seeing the smooth second hand ticks.

Although this is not an expensive watch, the sentimental values of my late father's watch is priceless.
A few weeks ago, I've finally decided to send it to a local watchmaker for a full service. Technically speaking, the watch only did ran for 6 years when my late father had it on his wrist, still the watch was losing 1 min every hour probably due to dried lubrication in the movement. It also had an almost non existent power reserve of only 10 hours.

The case, hands, dial, and crystal was left untouched. The watchmaker said it needed new seals/gaskets, mainspring replaced, a new crown, and complete movement cleaning and lubrication. Fair enough, and I believe this is the watch's first service after almost 30 years.
I've since collected the watch back from the watchmaker, put it a new strap and the joy of having been able to see my late father's watch working again is almost unexplainable. The watch is now running at a constant +5secs a day regardless of position, and back to it specified almost 40hrs power reserve.
This is my wrist shot of having to wear his watch for the first time after more than 20 years

Apologize for the not-so nice photos ;D. I only have my Ricoh GR with me to take these. Mods, please feel free to move this thread to where ever suitable, I was having a hard time deciding to place this under the vintage forum or this one. Since this watch is neither old enough to be vintage nor new enough as a modern watch. Anyway,  :Cheers:

Offline Narco

Re: My not-so-vintage Omega Seamaster cal.1110
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:11:24 PM »
Cool historical watch. A story worth telling and continue the legacy.

Offline Clicko

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:35:33 PM »
Tks for sharing how you brought the watch back to life!

Offline Timeless

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:58:45 AM »
Meaningful of next generation story.. watch reborn and wear with happiness

Offline h.chang

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
Is the case gold filled ( plated ) or solid 18K ? Thanks

Offline jefflwc

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:44 PM »