Author Topic: Come and share your Vintage watches  (Read 104291 times)

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
Re: Come and share your Vintage watches
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »
Sharing my full set vintage watches :D:
(from left)
1. 1064 Omega Seamaster 131.018 Cal.601
2. 1970 Omega Geneve 166.0163 Cal.1012
3. 1962 Omega Seamaster 600 135.011 Cal.601
4. 1964 Longines manual wind 2546-370 Cal.370

Sorry for the bad photo quality taken by phone.

Wow, guess you are Vintage watches lover, is it difficult to maintain those watches???

Yes, I really love these timeless machines. I have no issue with their maintenance as these watches I have acquired are in very mint conditions. I would send them for overhaul only when they do not keep reasonable time. I would also ensure they are not exposed to water as these vintage watches are not really waterproof. There's always a pack of moisture absorber in the watch box for the same reason. ;)

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2011, 09:31:28 PM »
Have posted this before... :)
Omega seamaster 1962, gold - plated 24 Jewel Automatic Movement, Cal. 552...according to the seller.. ;D

Nice watch but correct me if I am wrong, the dial looks refurbished.

Offline zuki

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Omega seamaster 1962, gold - plated 24 Jewel Automatic Movement, Cal. 552...according to the seller.. ;D

Yes! You are right. It went for complete restoration at UK (also according to the seller). The other photo from seller attached.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2011, 08:27:46 AM »

Yes! You are right. It went for complete restoration at UK (also according to the seller). The other photo from seller attached.

You bought it online? did the restoration come with all the original parts???
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline skygan

• Freshie
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 12:37:26 AM »
my vintage rolex 6694,16014

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »
skygan-

Both neat looking rollie; :thumbsup:

Bought pre-owned?

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
Another small seamaster of mine (32mm) ;)

Offline zuki

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2011, 04:27:05 PM »

You bought it online? did the restoration come with all the original parts???
I actually never check on it, but look at the face of the watch, it is a permanent scare so I assume at least the watch face is still the original part> BTW, dont really bother with the refurbished part, I like the shining one actually. ;)

Offline sanguoich

• Freshie
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2011, 11:51:56 PM »
The oldest watch in my collection - Seiko "UFO" aka Yachtman aka Big Eye/Small Eye - Ref. 6138-0010; Circa 1970

oh manburg, that is a real beautiful watch, are all the parts original?
very unique looking piece. how do the hands line up after reset?
I wish Seiko still produced automatic chronos..

Offline Manburg

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:46 PM »

The bezel insert and dial are most probably aftermarket. All the chrono hands line up properly after being reset. I wouldn't bear to see one in my collection that's not aligned properly.

Seiko still produces mechanical chronographs, but not those being brought in by Thong Sia. You've got to take the JDM route.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »

The bezel insert and dial are most probably aftermarket. All the chrono hands line up properly after being reset. I wouldn't bear to see one in my collection that's not aligned properly.

Seiko still produces mechanical chronographs, but not those being brought in by Thong Sia. You've got to take the JDM route.

yeap... seiko still hv auto chrono !
pls surf around...
seiko phoenix brightz
seiko flightmaster automatic
seiko ananda
seiko velatura chronograph auto LE

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
Seiko chrono too good until tag heur also take one of the seiko IP to do the new Carrera  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »
Seiko chrono too good until tag heur also take one of the seiko IP to do the new Carrera  :Laughing_on_floor:

You mean this one?

:Cheers:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2011, 08:08:59 AM »

You mean this one?

:Cheers:

yes you are very correct  :thumbsup:

It may be modified to tag spec but nevertheless its still based on seiko movement  :thumbsup:

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
That seiko looks amazing

Feeling gutted I never took carenof my seiko collection ;(
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Manburg

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »

What caused the controversy was TH's initial announcement which suggested that the design was created completely in-house. It attracted negative reactions from aficionados who immediately spotted the resemblance to Seiko's classic TC78. What actually happened was instead of developing the movement from a clean sheet, TH acquired the IP rights to the TC78.

According to Master Watchmaker Peter Roberts who did an analysis on Caliber 1887, he felt that he was looking at a complete rebuild, with wholesale design changes. He's of the view that TH earned the right to call it an in-house movement. If TH had bought Seiko's movement and just changed the balance, the escapement, and fitted a new rotor, he then believed that TH couldn't say it was manufacture . But with what had been done by TH to the Seiko movement, Roberts thought it's safe to say that this is a TH manufacture movement.

Well, I guess it depends on where you're coming from. The purists might argue that unless you develop it from scratch, you can never call it your own, and vice versa. For TH, they've managed to achieve its goal at the quarter of the cost that it would have to spend should it decide to start from scratch, and henceforth the relatively friendly price of the Carrera Calibre 1887. Compare that with Breitling which chose to start from scratch for its Calibre B01 and the resultant price of its watches running on that engine.

I guess the bottom line is, to each his own.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:16:53 PM by Manburg »
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »

What caused the controversy was TH's initial announcement which suggested that the design was created completely in-house. It attracted negative reactions from aficionados who immediately spotted the resemblance to Seiko's classic TC78. What actually happened was instead of developing the movement from a clean sheet, TH acquired the IP rights to the TC78.

According to Master Watchmaker Peter Roberts who did an analysis on Caliber 1887, he felt that he was looking at a complete rebuild, with wholesale design changes. He's of the view that TH earned the right to call it an in-house movement. If TH had bought Seiko's movement and just changed the balance, the escapement, and fitted a new rotor, he then believed that TH couldn't say it was manufacture . But with what had been done by TH to the Seiko movement, Roberts thought it's safe to say that this is a TH manufacture movement.

Well, I guess it depends on where you're coming from. The purists might argue that unless you develop it from scratch, you can never call it your own, and vice versa. For TH, they've managed to achieve its goal at the quarter of the cost that it would have to spend should it decide to start from scratch, and henceforth the relatively friendly price of the Carrera Calibre 1887. Compare that with Breitling which chose to start from scratch for its Calibre B01 and the resultant price of its watches running on that engine.

I guess the bottom line is, to each his own.

+1  :thumbsup:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2011, 08:12:53 PM »
i also read that other than Tag mod the movement for mass production there still one part of tat watch is still supplied by seiko which was sort of "secret". Any idea what was tat part?

I wonder if those watchmaker that are trained by tag to repair the "new" movement are also able to repair seiko 6s37 movement given the fact that are similar base but with heaps loads of components differences (eg seiko own components vs swiss stuff like nivarox, etc) between them? It would be save the folks the hassle to send watch back to Japan to service the movement if the tag guy can find its way around seiko version of tat movement?   ???

Offline siodee

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2011, 07:31:57 AM »
hmm..interesting arguments, but I think people who buy Tag will not like the idea of using Japanese movement, after all, why pay a premium to own a watch that is similar to Seiko. And I remember this discovery made a big "hoo haa" in those days.

And Manburg is rightly pointed out "The purists might argue that unless you develop it from scratch, you can never call it your own"  :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2011, 07:54:49 AM »
hmm..interesting arguments, but I think people who buy Tag will not like the idea of using Japanese movement, after all, why pay a premium to own a watch that is similar to Seiko. And I remember this discovery made a big "hoo haa" in those days.

And Manburg is rightly pointed out "The purists might argue that unless you develop it from scratch, you can never call it your own"  :thumbsup:

i dun think ppl k which country made the movement as long as the brand name is TAG HEUER
Tag targeting mass market than niche
thats y tag sponsored f1
so as oris, those who buy oris care about which country make their movement?

Offline siodee

« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »

i dun think ppl k which country made the movement as long as the brand name is TAG HEUER
thats y tag sponsored f1

But I think otherwise, if Tag announce that they use Seiko ODM movement before they sell, then I think people will accept by knowing the fact. But, not the other way (realize later).

If I were to be the buyer, then I will definitely feel cheated. Just different view

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »

thats y tag sponsored f1

But I think otherwise, if Tag announce that they use Seiko ODM movement before they sell, then I think people will accept by knowing the fact. But, not the other way (realize later).

If I were to be the buyer, then I will definitely feel cheated. Just different view

:thumbsup: They really blunded the PR department  :HammerHead:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »

thats y tag sponsored f1

haiya... This is how u all think not 99% of tag buyers!!!
Ask buyers in the tag boutique c they know n k what movement inside?
I bet most can't even differentiate between quartz, auto, mechanical n handwind exactly!!!

Go n survey at lowyat.net n c...

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:46 PM »

Yes the very same 'purist' who clamour after AP watches with JLC movement. Snob factor at work perhaps? Just like I know this guy who says he will never buy the Montblanc Star Nicolas Rieussec Monopusher Chronograph because Montblanc is not a manufacturer or even a watch maker. Well, I say his loss.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:10:51 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline siodee

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2011, 02:51:28 PM »

thats y tag sponsored f1

haiya... This is how u all think not 99% of tag buyers!!!
Ask buyers in the tag boutique c they know n k what movement inside?
I bet most can't even differentiate between quartz, auto, mechanical n handwind exactly!!!

Go n survey at lowyat.net n c...

Good try Chris, if I put the survey in LYN, sure kena cucuk more than constructive arguments.

I just surf the web site for the story of this argument, here is what I found, but I can't confirm the authentic of the statement. Perhaps someone are familiar with the head and tail of this turmoils

Quoted from other web site :
"Tag Heuer shamed into admitting "Manufacture" Cal. 1887 bought from Seiko...

Basically, TH was forced by the public uproar on watch forums to admit that they had to buy the basic calibres from Seiko:

Hi, I'm J.C. Babin the CEO of TAG Heuer, and YES, the new Caliber 1887 is based on a SII (Seiko Instruments Inc.) TC78 platform developped and patented in 1997 (filing) and eversince produced in very limited quantities, apparently for Junghans and Seiko watches in Japan. The caliber we propose and announced last week in London is a major evolution of this platform even though I aknowledge that the overall construction may look similar at first glance. However, the TAG Heuer movement is much different in terms of components, size and eventually performances, not to mention it is manufactured (all its key components including plate, bridges, assortment, cannon pinion, eccentrics etc....) in Switzerland in TAG Heuer workshops of Cornol (Cortech - a company owned by TAG Heuer and already producing TAG Heuer and Zenith cases) and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where we have also the HQs and where we added 30.000 sq feet more last year for movements assembling and other manufacturig projects) as well as from "best in class" partners such as Nivarox.
- Dimensions: it's broader (29.3 mm vs 28 mm) and thinner (7.13 mm vs 7.27 mm)
- Therefore the main plate, bridges - especially the chronograph bridge - and oscillating mass have been significantly modified to allow this evolution
- Its assortment is a swiss asortment specifically developped by Nivarox for TAG Heuer, and allowing to improve further accuracy and shocks resistancy
- New assortment centring of the balance wheel also specifically developped by KIF, a leading swiss expert company in balance wheels centrings
- Change and development of a new swiss engineered cannon pinion to increase time-setting overtime reliability
- Redesign of the fixing of ball bearings of the mass to contribute reducing the thickness
- Adjustements to pass the famous "60 TAG Heuer torture tests" in terms of accuracy, reliability, thermical and physical shocks resistancy, chemical agressions etc....

We have today already 45 TAG Heuer people working full time on that project in Switzerland and work with 21 other suppliers for additional parts, most being swiss. Total investment is several tenth of mio USD.

I would therefore qualify that movement as really in-house and manufactured by TAG Heuer even though, yes, the original IP has been acquired from SII. Please note that the original SII Caliber has always been praised by watches experts."
"""" End quote