Author Topic: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??  (Read 170481 times)

Offline Enkidu

Re: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??
« Reply #275 on: November 10, 2012, 08:26:33 AM »
Well, what would you do if the one girl you loved with all your heart, whom you adored til the seventh heaven, and brought you those wonderful feelings when you're together, who then duly reciprocated by declaring to the world that she loves you for what you are, and that you're the best in the world, suddenly turned her back from you and ran to the next guy flaunting his wealth, whilst telling him that he's the best there is?  :Mad: It's a cut that will never heal mate.  :'(

Anyway, enough of that, as the mod and those on the other side of the M6 motorway (if you get what I mean  ;)) might have a dimmed view of this unrelated conversations. Back to the matter at hand.

The only reason as to why you don't recall seeing me owning any PAM is because I don't own any. A poor sod eh?  :-[

Well, your old flame Blondie had it quite rough last year. Guess she may not ever fully recover from the trauma too. With so many other enchantresses in the harem, I am sure she feels like a fallen angel.

Well, PAM is an acquired taste. Guess you jst have not acquired the taste. Hahaha....maybe my taste is not sophisticated enough and my fashion sense is just bad..

:thumbsup: 

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
We should invite vannic to share his views on whether or not OP is a fashion house or otherwise. Or Panerai watches are just fashion watches. A collector his calibre may be able to enlighten the souls here I am sure.

Offline sm

« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2012, 03:42:54 PM »
may I play:

Some of the comments are laughable. Uncouth and do not befit the house rules.

To my peers and master, i think we do not need to offer an olive branch to ppl who acted without decorum. Much less for a very open ended topic "Just a fashion house??". It is not a statement but merely an inviting question for all members to banter.

Get real, we are not and will never be a party nor a shareholder of any international brands. There is no need to get offended if our leanings is not view in the same manner as we would like it to be. Bill Shankly once said "football is not just life & death, its much more than that". On home front, we have pam lovers taking the statement to the hilt.

For the many of us, we invoke and caress the beauty of each and every watch that is being crafted by big brands. If there is a pam lover who thinks it is his oyster, so be it. For the many of us, it is just another big boys' toys that we indulge in whenever we have extras in our kitty.

I have dabbled in Rolex, Panerai, IWC, Tag, GShock etc and I dont lose sleep if anyone of you think if it is a fashion brand or otherwise. So let the debate continues come what may.....

sm

Offline More Deneiro

« Reply #278 on: December 06, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
I was shopping for luxury watch recently and the Pam was on my list. It looks trendy and unique, but I knew next to nothing about the brand. Then I researched, they mostly used ETA for their movements which earn some demerit points in my mind but it's still ok probably. But the one point which made me not buy a PAM was how could they put an inexpensive 17 jewels movement into their watch and then retail it above USD5000? IMHO, that's shortchanging. So my take on the topic, if they can't overcome that perception, then yes I think they won't be en vogue soon. Oh, yes I have small wrists too.

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
I was shopping for luxury watch recently and the Pam was on my list. It looks trendy and unique, but I knew next to nothing about the brand. Then I researched, they mostly used ETA for their movements which earn some demerit points in my mind but it's still ok probably. But the one point which made me not buy a PAM was how could they put an inexpensive 17 jewels movement into their watch and then retail it above USD5000? IMHO, that's shortchanging. So my take on the topic, if they can't overcome that perception, then yes I think they won't be en vogue soon. Oh, yes I have small wrists too.
Your comment is understated. Try to read this,  ;D
http://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/t8207-panerai-movement-scandal

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »

Understated his post may be...but enlightened More Denerio is.  :thumbsup:

Offline More Deneiro

« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »

Yes, it was meant to be, else I risk the wrath passionate PAM lovers! Just sharing my decision making when I rewarded myself for the years of toil.

Offline gck

« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2012, 02:10:40 PM »
you beat me to it..when i go get my 005, first thing i make AD to do is to open the caseback and bring my loupe for inspection.,

Offline STT1987

« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Yes, the infamous PAM 318 "Brooklyn Bridge special edition" scandal. Made all the more interesting that there is an American saying, "to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge" referring to a conman taking advantage of gullible people. With this piece of self inflicted idiocy and damage to the brand, you could almost hear the collective, "hmmmmm, I told you so" from the conspiracy minded and brand bashers. I don't blame anyone for having second thoughts about the brand after reading about the incident. It's a fair cop.

Anyone who has a PAM 318 can trade it in to have the unmodified ETA6497 movement swapped out with standard OP. II movement that usually goes into these special editions. Shipping and handling extra - so it wasn't a completely free upgrade unless you walked in. Forum scuttlebutt has it that few PAM 318 owners seem to be taking advantage of the offer even when made aware of the upgrade available to them. Things like these are probably like postage stamp printing mistakes; errors and mishaps make for a better story value adding to the watches' uniqueness.

Nevertheless IMHO, it was an incredible act of lunacy that did a huge amount of damage to the brand in the watch community. It reinforced all the negatives that the brand doubters had against Panerai. Personally, I doubt that mistake was made at a high level of the company (what is a few hundred bucks savings of a watch movement vs. serious reputation damage to a brand). Having worked at a big multi-national company before, I know that upper management has very little knowledge of the lower/middle management doings day to day. My personal theory is that a low level manager in New York or Switzerland swapped in low grade movement to meet a shipment date. For the sake of the company, I hope that guy or gal was fired but in the end it's still management's fault that this was allowed to occur.

Who knows?
It may have even been deliberate disastrously bad joke (based on the brookly bridge saying) that Panerai played on itself and the watch community.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:06:24 PM by STT1987 »
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2012, 03:04:03 PM »
http://xtrememeantime.forumotion.com/t8207-panerai-movement-scandal   :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

wOw~
never knew about this.. thanks for sharing...
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
you beat me to it..when i go get my 005, first thing i make AD to do is to open the caseback and bring my loupe for inspection.,

Did the ad open up the case back for you? Also how did they address the water resistant rating after the case back was reinstall? Did the ad test the watch? Would be interesting to know.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »
But the one point which made me not buy a PAM was how could they put an inexpensive 17 jewels movement into their watch and then retail it above USD5000?

I think that pretty much applies to almost the whole industry don't you think?

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

Well what can I say? At USD 5k? R u kidding me?? Eta movement? Actually no one is shortchanging anybody. It's clear for certain models they do house Unitas movement. If it ain't yours then don't buy. USD5k sounds princely for a non manufacture movement.

Yup. For that price u may be able to find a GS, or. Rolex even. It's not for everybody. IWC uses ETA too. Same price maybe.

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2012, 07:09:28 PM »

True enough..."no one is shortchanging anybody"...all one need is to look under the `hood'...information is available everywhere these days...best part, brands never deny if they do not use in-house movement...well if the buyer decides not to learn, who are we to say anything.

It just irks me when the less informed start trumpeting crap to the rest of us...no matter which brand it may be.

Under such circumstances, best thing to do is just to smile and walk away, :)

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #289 on: December 06, 2012, 08:07:46 PM »
Life is as such that no one points a gun to our temple and say my friend buy this fashionable watch for a sum. I was reading P.com yesterday when there was some joker trying to be smart when one fella asked a very innocent question and he was walloped and to me that that is just effing stupid. The usual fellas who like to point out trolls just kept quiet. To me wtf! If it continues it will implode! Trust me. But I found a lot of truth in that particular thread. It's laughable! Play safe. Well who am I to judge.

Offline More Deneiro

« Reply #290 on: December 06, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
I truely understand that putting a value on luxury/fashion is purely subjective. Maybe some value the brandname and looks more than anything else and there are many others who don't need to consider so much before putting USD5K on the table for watch. It's the principle of willing buyer, willing seller I get it. But if I would have bought it, I wouldn't be happy knowing that it's a brand that didn't hesitate using relatively inexpensive movement for USD5K watch. When it comes to luxury timepieces, I would like to feel confident that the people behind it takes pride in making quality watches and paying attention to details and it shows on the watch and on the insides. And should not feel compelled to open the case just to make sure if it does not come with clear caseback for a new watch. But this is just me.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2012, 05:19:10 AM »
I truely understand that putting a value on luxury/fashion is purely subjective. Maybe some value the brandname and looks more than anything else and there are many others who don't need to consider so much before putting USD5K on the table for watch. It's the principle of willing buyer, willing seller I get it. But if I would have bought it, I wouldn't be happy knowing that it's a brand that didn't hesitate using relatively inexpensive movement for USD5K watch. When it comes to luxury timepieces, I would like to feel confident that the people behind it takes pride in making quality watches and paying attention to details and it shows on the watch and on the insides. And should not feel compelled to open the case just to make sure if it does not come with clear caseback for a new watch. But this is just me.

First, as I mentioned before, I believe we need to discuss the merit/demerit of a watch brand without any reference to the subjective intention of the buyer. People buy watches for millions of reasons; it can be pure interest in the timepiece, need a watch, want to reward oneself, want to keep up with peers, true and inexplicable love for the watch, fashion trendiness, after seeing a nice pic on the Internet, (or who knows??) a real pistol to the head, and possibly a mixture of many reasons. This applies to all buying decisions of course, not just in relation to watches.

As regards OP's sales / marketing direction, I personally still find the interview given by Bonati to Timezone some ten years ago instructive. Of course, like all interviews given by a non-impartial company representative, this needs to be read with the proverbial pinch of salt..

http://people.timezone.com/library/tzints/tzints631742020270625000

Panerai imploding? As long as the brand is still under the Richemont stable and if Richemont is growing (which it is I believe), the Panerai brand will not implode. 

Offline gck

« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
sorry it is not AD, i bought it at a grey dealer, and yes he did a waterproof test on a machine that looks like bell.

Did the ad open up the case back for you? Also how did they address the water resistant rating after the case back was reinstall? Did the ad test the watch? Would be interesting to know.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
sorry it is not AD, i bought it at a grey dealer, and yes he did a waterproof test on a machine that looks like bell.

Cool. Tested to 375M. Congrats. Wear it with good health and wealth.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:41:55 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline Gabriel

• Freshie
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

Hi bro, just curious, in short, is your 005 house with decorated movement? Or raw Unitas?

Offline gck

« Reply #295 on: December 10, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
hi gabriel,
sorry i didn't take any pix while at it. but it looks something like this, i think so, not an expert on movement, i just want to make sure i don't get raw 6497 movement like 380, the raw 380 movement looks worse than a steinhart.

i am not a super pam fans, just like the design and since the price it just right, i pulled the trigerred.
this model i gave up after a few visit to one dealer in The gardens mid valley, 6 months also not in stock.
i just go to grey dealer and get it.

Hi bro, just curious, in short, is your 005 house with decorated movement? Or raw Unitas?

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »
PAM 380 uses a raw movement? You sure?

Offline gck

« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
ops, you caught a non-ritis pants down!  :mooning:

is pam318

PAM 380 uses a raw movement? You sure?

Offline Gabriel

• Freshie
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2012, 06:56:55 PM »
hi gabriel,
sorry i didn't take any pix while at it. but it looks something like this, i think so, not an expert on movement, i just want to make sure i don't get raw 6497 movement like 380, the raw 380 movement looks worse than a steinhart.

i am not a super pam fans, just like the design and since the price it just right, i pulled the trigerred.
this model i gave up after a few visit to one dealer in The gardens mid valley, 6 months also not in stock.
i just go to grey dealer and get it.

Thx for the confirmation, plan to get 000, already leave down name at AD for months, no news so far.  :Blue:

Offline volks2

« Reply #299 on: December 13, 2012, 11:53:17 AM »
May I know wat model is it?