Author Topic: A Lange & Sohne Saxonia  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Mitty25

A Lange & Sohne Saxonia
« on: November 19, 2019, 11:19:14 PM »
Hey everyone,
Just wanted the forum’s input on their experience with owning an ALS. Better yet, if anyone has owned a piece from their Saxonia range. I have my eyes on their 35mm Saxonia hand would. Pros? Cons? Servicing? Regrets? All input welcomed to help me make an educated decision.
Cheers and thanks!

Offline iffy38

Re: A Lange & Sohne Saxonia
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »
I see nobody replied you. I will bite.

Pros:
Best movement finishing in the business in my honest opinion. Enjoy with a Loupe. Yes a Dufour is better finished, but how many of us can get our hands on one.
Very solidly made.

Cons:
Once you try a Lange, it raises the bar in which you evaluate other watches. In short, other watches might not feel that nice anymore.
Very understated. Most people will not know what it is. From more than 1 meter away, it looks like any other dress watch. The watch is for you and you only. Only very rarely you will come across a watch geek who knows it and respects it.
Servicing in on par with the stature of the watch. Which means it won't be cheap but it is to be expected. Pay to play buddy.

Saxonia is a very simple watch. 2 hands and that is it. It is not for everybody especially the ostentatious type. If you are the low key type. It is a great watch.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 06:19:03 PM »
I see nobody replied you. I will bite.

Pros:
Best movement finishing in the business in my honest opinion. Enjoy with a Loupe. Yes a Dufour is better finished, but how many of us can get our hands on one.
Very solidly made.

Cons:
Once you try a Lange, it raises the bar in which you evaluate other watches. In short, other watches might not feel that nice anymore.
Very understated. Most people will not know what it is. From more than 1 meter away, it looks like any other dress watch. The watch is for you and you only. Only very rarely you will come across a watch geek who knows it and respects it.
Servicing in on par with the stature of the watch. Which means it won't be cheap but it is to be expected. Pay to play buddy.

Saxonia is a very simple watch. 2 hands and that is it. It is not for everybody especially the ostentatious type. If you are the low key type. It is a great watch.

very informative reply... I dnt need to elaborate more on the pros but I need to highlight the cons to you. the servicing will cost you a bomb when u send back for servicing... base on hear say is RM 6k onwards...

Offline kelv_w

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
Just realised this thread, too awhile  lol

I do like the 35mm Saxonia, there were many times I 'almost' pull the trigger on one. It fits well on a small wrist, but sometimes makes me wonder if the watch is too small. I would go away and come back again to try it on and it feels right. I am quite torn by this watch tbh. I guess if you'd like it really discreet and unassuming 35mm is a good dress watch, but personally I am warming up to the 37mm as well. It could be mistaken for a DW from afar....oops did I just say that? ;) j/k
Anyway every time I try the 35mm, i get split opinions of it being too small or just fits fine. ::)

Servicing shouldn't be too bad since it's just a simple movement with no complications but expected a higher than average servicing costs as Dennis.T has mentioned. Also because the movement is German Silver, it's easily marked by fingerprints if serviced by a non-competent watchmaker. Hence it has to go back to ALS for servicing.

I was this close to purchasing the blue dial but in the end I went for something else. 

I think the 37mm has bit more wrist presence