Author Topic: looking for a good watch repair shop  (Read 115376 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: looking for a good watch repair shop
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:02 PM »
Thanks David,

Another noob question since its related to the usage ,.... but then does it mean that when we are not wearing our watch, we let it stop? .... do you we suppose to give it a shake shake so that the movement keep moving? I am asking this because i saw shops selling those auto winding mechanism to keep our automatic machines. Wouldn't that similar to daily user?

Following your guide, .... i need to send my Oris for long overdue service. Called them and was told full overhaul that include polishing is about RM580 (and i saw somebody posted that sending their Rolex for service for less than RM300) .... isn't that a rip-off from Oris?? Furthermore they say will have to check my crown to see whether the water proofing still intact and will cost another RM180 if need to change. .... Then i enquired about the hands, one set is RM100...... All in about RM860.  :Startled:

I think the minimum charge for a Rolex service at the Rolex Service Centre is at least RM2,000...

Is the quote for your Oris service from the authorised service centre or third party watchmaker?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
Rolex service for RM 300? must have been a very long time ago..

An Omega Co-Axial service costs between RM 1,000- RM 1,600 depending on whether its a simple 3 hand watch or a chrono.
Even TAG service is close to RM 1,000
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
Rolex service for just rm300?. Sad to say you been had..

Just an evaluation alone and not proceed to service after quoting takes rm200 plus.....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Calibr

« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2013, 06:53:00 PM »
I was at the RSC recently.. minimum charges for servicing a Datejust is RM1950, includes free polish. If you only want to polish the Datejust, it's RM484. Servicing fees for SS sport watches (GMT IIc, Explorer 2, etc..) starts at RM2000 plus, and if polishing only, it's RM604. The servicing charges seem to work out out to around 10% of the current prices of the watches. But since the routine servicing is done once every few years, the charges should be acceptable. Not a cheap hobby, ya?  :o :o :o

Offline davidtth

« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2013, 07:08:39 PM »
300 is just for verify for your rolex if its authenticate, which they just see see and issue a cert/paper for you and throw in some freebie for you  ;D

Offline patrickfam

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
Wow, servicing is really a bomb for mechanical pieces .... :o

Anyway, the quote for my Oris was from Oris Malaysia and come with a one year warranty after service. Judging from the response .... i'll be sending it soon because my watch seems to lose some time :P

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2013, 03:17:31 PM »
I've been to the TxC shop in Amcorp Mall a few times although mostly just to browse about. But did ask them to change straps for a few of my watches once. The see-thau-poh (I think) was very friendly and fair.
I chose 1 strap which was close to RM200 and she took the watch in to change it after getting my consent to cut the strap to fit the lugs. But later came out to say not advisable to change the strap as the strap might not last long after being cut. Anonimo watch got different lugs.
Thot that was a very nice gesture. The fee for changing strap / punching holes was also ok at RM10 per watch.
Of course, this is just a simple service. Havent had any experience with the more complicated services.
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline dpkong

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
I too visited that TxC shop in Amcorp Mall. Though they claim they're able to service all the high end Swiss watches and have quite a few pictures on the website, the fine print is worrisome plus I've yet to hear their work reputation.

Also, she said for a quote, they need one week (??) to inspect the watch and give a quotation. Why one week?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
1 week ?

Mayb
1. After u go they send to real expert to check n quote ( this happen to the one in summit and the
One opened many counter in big shopping mall!
Meaning they r not watchmaker but shop owner
2. They doesn't feel comfortable let u see on the spot Opening UR watch...
3. They r real busy in delivering old orders...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »
But they did have a nice glass partition between the "customer" area and work area presumably so you can watch the watchmaker in action.

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:55 AM »
Yah thot that was nice. Gives some added visual confidence. I did see a couple of "apprentices" working inside. Maybe the boss was busy elsewhere. I remember reading about them on their website. Thot the experience of the boss was quite impressive.
Well, I suppose we'll learn from the word-of-mouth and continue to share our collective "customer experiences".
 :Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »
Rule of thumb on maintaning the watch is the more exp the watch the higher the service cost. That why i try if possible reduce quantity of the watch and focus on more quality (less is more)  :thumbsup:

Offline swleong

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
Rule of thumb on maintaning the watch is the more exp the watch the higher the service cost. That why i try if possible reduce quantity of the watch and focus on more quality (less is more)  :thumbsup:

less watches = more money in the bank  ;D ;D

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »

less watches = more money in the bank  ;D ;D

If your watch is the one with alot of complication i would say teh $ in the bank are meant for full service when time comes  ;D

Offline Calibr

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

If your watch is the one with alot of complication i would say the $ in the bank are meant for full service when time comes  ;D
[/quote]

How true.. I was saying earlier about the cost of servicing a humble Rolex 16233 TT Datejust at the RSC recently. Total cost of service, including replacement of the dial and hands (which are spotted and slightly oxidised), sapphire crystal (some minor chippings at the edges), the caseback (showed some signs of corrosion - which if not replaced, RSC will not do a water-proofing test on the watch, and hence not warranted against water-proofing), and replacing the main oscillating weight (that showed signs of wear and tear, and hence might not keep accurate time under COSC stds, and no warranty for that) comes to about RM4,800.. :Startled:

The sweetener is that after the service, the watch carries a 2 year warranty, and the I got 2 stacks of "collectible" Rolex Angpow packets  ;D. This watch is probably a Tier-3, or at best low-end Tier-2 item. Imagine how much it would cost to do the same services for a PP, AP, JLC or a Lange!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2013, 08:43:03 PM »
3 of my JLCs have been serviced before by MJLC at Le Sentier Switzerland.

i) Reserve deMarche
ii)Reverso Grande GMT with PR/day-night/GMT/GMT diffrential/big date
iii) Master Control Master Moon with moonphase & annual calendar

The highest cost of service amongst the 3 to-date is abt RM 3,000.00

If your watch is the one with alot of complication i would say the $ in the bank are meant for full service when time comes  ;D

Imagine how much it would cost to do the same services for a PP, AP, JLC or a Lange!
[/quote]
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »

i) Reserve deMarche

Imagine how much it would cost to do the same services for a PP, AP, JLC or a Lange!
[/quote]

How long does the service took for your watches when it goes all the way to Switzerland. My vintage omega took around 3 month plus when it was sent to Omega Bienne for total overhaul

Offline Calibr

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2013, 08:52:54 PM »

i) Reserve deMarche

The local RSC's charges are probably a bit higher that those overseas. Bare servicing cost is RM1950, the cost of the new dial and hands (come together in a set) is RM1616, sapphire crystal is RM464, etc, etc.. The costs of service and original parts are like a major service and repair costs for a car.. only that for watches, it's done once in a few years!

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
shortest was 3 months and longest was 5 months..

i) Reserve deMarche

How long does the service took for your watches when it goes all the way to Switzerland. My vintage omega took around 3 month plus when it was sent to Omega Bienne for total overhaul
[/quote]

Offline spryken

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
need to repair my watch, went to a Swiss watch repair shop in 1montkiara, so unprofessional, seems like wanna cut my head with their price , quoted me before they know what is the movement, and force me to service as well. don't do part replacement only.

worst then a normal low profile watch shop.

will try check amcorp mall if free...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:56:07 PM by spryken »

Offline tancho

« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
Hi Gapper,

I just got back my Sub from RSC and complete overhaul cost around 850MYR, got some part changed too (i think few gears and crown)...

Is your RM2K included the bracelet?

I find the Rolex service is the cheapest so far... I once sent back a JLC and it cost me MYR1.5K++ and the time will not accurate...   :Scolding:

scott.

Wow, that's a good price for RSC service, including parts.  I enquired at Swatch Group, KL for Omega service, and they quoted minimal RM1,470 for basic service without changing any parts.

Offline timenut

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Yah thot that was nice. Gives some added visual confidence. I did see a couple of "apprentices" working inside. Maybe the boss was busy elsewhere. I remember reading about them on their website. Thot the experience of the boss was quite impressive.
Well, I suppose we'll learn from the word-of-mouth and continue to share our collective "customer experiences".
 :Cheers:

Yah.. one of their "apprentices" managed to scratch the crystal on my watch when I sent it in for repair. Only found out when I got home.

On another occasion, when I was there, the "apprentice" was explaining to the customer how he managed to make the watch stop working altogether when the customer sent it the watch only to have it regulated. Needless to say, the customer was flabbergasted.  :o

Long list of terms and conditions when you send your watch in. Be careful what you are signing up for.  8)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »
Hmmm, sorry to hear of you experiences. I also dont have much confidence in the apprentices. Dont know what's their background and experiences.

Was there last weekend to ask for polishing charges. Lady boss said must leave the watch there to check for quotation. They cant give a range on the spot. Thought it's cumbersome - I just want a rough quote or range first. But nvm...  :Blue:

Offline tsh23

« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
My 2 sen : Stay away from number 3. Sent in an old rolex as it was running slightly fast.. Took them 2 months.. in the end they called me to say they couldn't fix the problem  :HammerHead:

Offline Chipi

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2014, 01:45:23 AM »
I'm looking to repair my Zodiac Professional.
Saw on ebay, ppl are selling the new face and hands.
Is it advisable to change them? Will it reduce the value?

I went to the watch repair in Summit. He quoted Rm400 for complete overhaul and new leather strap.
(The quotation does not include new face and hands).
You guys think the price is reasonable? Newbie here. So need some good advise from you taikos.
Thank you in advance    :Cheers: