Author Topic: My one and only dress watch: Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Lune Retrograde  (Read 11094 times)

Offline G.MAC

Got this one a few months back while looking for a power reserve indicator watch to add to my collection and only thought of reviewing it now after few months of testing and assessing the watch and to test out a new lens. Quite a 'complete' watch in terms of functionality save for the lack of a perpetual calendar.
Tech specs:
Handwind movement
43.5mm stainless steel case and crown
Sapphire crystal
30m water resist
Functions: Day, date, power reserve indicator, moonphase indicator

First and foremost I would like to comment about the build quality. Case is made of stainless steel and is polished. This is to give it a more classy feel but is also a magnet for hairline scratches and swirls. The build feels solid though a bit light as it is not a diver and it sits nicely on the wrist and does not appear to be too big that it becomes sporty nor too small that it would feel cartoonish on my big wrist

Only the hands are lumed and even so the lume is not bright. The crown is engraved with the Maurice Lacroix logo and is comfortable to wind even with my big fingers. The day and moonphase indicator are set via pushers on the side where the day pusher is marked by the sun whereas the moonphase pusher is marked by the crescent moon. These pushers like the crown are engraved on and  painted as shown in the next pic. They are however hard to press as they are flushed together with the case. This is both good and bad as a) the likelihood of accidentally pressing them are nil and b) when you need to press them, it is difficult to do so.
 Since it is not a diver and has low water resist, it is rather thin and light and has an exhibition caseback.  These are illustrated below

I am not too sure whether the exhibition caseback is sapphire crystal as well but it does feel heavy and solid like the main glass. Movement is a 35 jewels hand-decorated handwind movement. As can be seen the movement is well made with blued screws all around and a swan neck is present for better precision. Accuracy is rated to +/- 20 seconds a day. Power reserve indicator used to be able to wind all the way to full when new but after a few months it settled to slightly below that. Power reserve is roughly about 42 hours. The strap is croc and is quite soft and comfortable to wear although a bit absorbent and thus prone to absorbing sweat and would stink after a while thus i only wear this in an air-conditioned environment. The buckle is a crocodile style clasp with push release buttons to open the buckle.

It also has a nicely engraved Maurice Lacroix Logo on it as well.
. More pictures of the watch:
Hope you all enjoy my beginner's review and thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:23:29 PM by G.MAC »
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
That's very nice review and I especially like the decorated movement  :thumbsup:
Make sure you wear it daily or put into watch winder to keep the moonphase running ;D

Offline G.MAC

Have to remember to wind as this is mechanical and not automatic so putting it in a watch winder is redundant. :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
ooh ya hor .. haha my bad.

Offline Paulkky

Very nice piece there..... :thumbsup:...
a real beauty Masterpiece......especially the moonphase and retrograde....
Cheers

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Hi,

COngratz of your new watch, i can see your collection growing up like a child  :Cheers:

That's very nice review and I especially like the decorated movement  :thumbsup:
Make sure you wear it daily or put into watch winder to keep the moonphase running ;D

The post that make up my days  :) :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Yeah my 500 ppost  :Jumping: :Jumping:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
ml at their best...
retrograde

now even modified to 3/4 plate

Offline Scott C.

Nice ;) Love the movement  :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

Nicely decorated movt there.

Although i must say the dial is abit busy for me.

There are actually some manual winding "winders" around.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Wow, G.mac, nicely done, enjoy the reading, by the way, for the sun and moonphase pusher, you need to manually press the button to indicate day time and night time? Or the moonphase is for the indication of full moon on every 15th?

I hope to see more watch review done by our MWF members, cause it really help to understand the watch better and for the rest of us to droollll....  :Dancing_banana:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline danny

• Administrator
Great review. I particularly like the large diameter movement, exquisite decorations, 3/4 plate and oversized balance. What's the frequency of the balance?
However I'm a bit surprised by the published accuracy of +/- 20secs per day. How's the performance in real life?

:Cheers:

Offline G.MAC

Wow, G.mac, nicely done, enjoy the reading, by the way, for the sun and moonphase pusher, you need to manually press the button to indicate day time and night time? Or the moonphase is for the indication of full moon on every 15th?

it is the indication of the full moon on the 15th not a day/night indicator.
How's the performance in real life?

it is more of +/- 45 seconds a day. It has a frequency balance of 18000 a/h

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
good job on the review....ML always makes beautiful complications...
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
man...that is sweeeeeeeet looking
arghhh...poison

Offline jonhtks

Arrrrgghh i like ur watch a lot  :thumbsup: my favorate brand, it sure cost a bomb !

Offline Fairy Oly

nice watch!! i like this watch!!
  :thumbsup:

i think it will looks good on me too!!... ;x :-X
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Offline jonhtks

Bro mind pm me how much is this fantastic timepiece?

Offline shamtv2555

luxury

Offline engkow

beautiful watch and love the movement.