Poll

Which one is the brand of your choice? and why?

ROLEX
8 (50%)
AUDEMARS PIQUET
2 (12.5%)
PATEK PHILLIPPE
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: September 18, 2020, 10:52:58 PM

Author Topic: ROLEX vs AUDEMARS PIQUET vs PATEK PHILLIPPE  (Read 5234 times)

Offline apache0909

• Freshie
ROLEX vs AUDEMARS PIQUET vs PATEK PHILLIPPE
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:52:58 PM »
Hi guys. Ive always been a fan of rollies. But my knowledge on AP and PP is so little. Its probably because ppl around me are rolex fans as well. What is your take on this? Im keen to learn more on AP and PP.

Offline dpkong

Re: ROLEX vs AUDEMARS PIQUET vs PATEK PHILLIPPE
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 07:28:21 AM »

Can't vote because can't choose...

ROLEX is a tough and reliable watch. Very precise and dependable. No display backs. Attractive tool watches. Most affordable among the 3 brands.

AP design is very bold and finish is very high quality. Sharp lines between polished and brushed areas. Display backs on most models to show the nicely finished movement. Movements aren't usually as tough and often need to visit the Service Centre if you take a hard hit. Some even go bonkers when you first buy it but warranty usually fixes that. More expensive than ROLEX.

No experience with PP but they have some really desirable pieces.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 08:22:03 AM »
When you get to know more about the horology, there are still many brands that is far superior than Rolex, namely the Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, a.k.a. the big three. Then followed by A. Lange & Söhne, being a german luxury watch manufacturer, the overall qualities of lange watches is more or less equal with aforementioned top three.

These watches you can really admire it with a loupe, every bits in the movement is man-polished to perfection, even screws and gearwheels are polished too, bevel chamfering, all sort of geneva stripe, engraving (lange), etc. You'll hardly find any imperfection unlike Rolex.

Rolex is a tool watch, very reliable and relatively "inexpensive" as compared to those from the top of the hierarchy. That's why you'll see more people wearing it.

For me, even Jaeger-LeCoultre is superior than Rolex, JLC were known as 'the watchmaker's watchmaker", they are not in the same league imo.

Offline swleong

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 02:03:54 PM »
Lolek of course, the only brand I can afford out of the 3.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »

When you get to know more about the horology, there are still many brands that is far superior than Rolex, namely the Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, a.k.a. the big three. Then followed by A. Lange & Söhne, being a german luxury watch manufacturer, the overall qualities of lange watches is more or less equal with aforementioned top three.

But if you talk about brand recognition, nearly everyone knows ROLEX so they are superior is that sense.

Offline apache0909

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 02:13:07 PM »
Simple name appeals to everybody, especially the chinese.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »

But if you talk about brand recognition, nearly everyone knows ROLEX so they are superior is that sense.
Marketing is the keyword here, being an independent watchmaker they are freely to do whatever marketing decision without having go through the others authority. Say the Richemont Group, it is impossible to build brand equity for a certain watchmakers without compromising others brands within the same group. Brand positioning will always be there, just like JLC will never surpass VC albeit it could, potentially.

I may be speak out of turn, these are just my observation throughout my journey of horology, nothing against Rolex, I do love Rolex, more sensible choice for luxury daily watch. As for the top three I mentioned up there, never think of it, pocket not deep enough.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline sshark

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 02:47:56 PM »
Rolex watches are robust. PP and AP are delicate and must be handled with extra care while wearing it. They emphasize on the artistic side. OTH, Rolex watches are utilitarian watches with well-polished movements. Another brand that comes to mind is Grand Seiko.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:00:34 PM »
Rolex watches are robust. PP and AP are delicate and must be handled with extra care while wearing it. They emphasize on the artistic side. OTH, Rolex watches are utilitarian watches with well-polished movements. Another brand that comes to mind is Grand Seiko.
You sound like PP & AP are all making out of paper, so fragile.  ;D
I believe one could abuse PP Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas just like what people usually do with Rolex Professional Sport watches, and those watches can still outlive you and me.
Price point do play a big part here, if the price of the watch can justified being your daily beater, by all mean enjoy it daily, definitely need not handled it delicately.
Couldn't agreed more on Grand Seiko, wear a Rolex to impress others but you wear a Grand Seiko to impress yourself.
Cheer.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »

I believe one could abuse PP Nautilus, AP Royal Oak and VC Overseas just like what people usually do with Rolex Professional Sport watches, and those watches can still outlive you and me.
Price point do play a big part here, if the price of the watch can justified being your daily beater, by all mean enjoy it daily, definitely need not handled it delicately.
Couldn't agreed more on Grand Seiko, wear a Rolex to impress others but you wear a Grand Seiko to impress yourself.
Cheer.

PP and AP are definitely not meant for you to bang around like a G-shock unless of course you don't mind sending it to hospital on a very regular basis. If not mistaken, the service for a PP takes months and is in the 5 figure range depending on complications.

For steel AP ROO, I believe a full service is around RM7k or more.. haven't had to use it yet....   :Praying:  Maybe someone who knows can share.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 08:40:53 PM »

Cheer.

PP and AP are definitely not meant for you to bang around like a G-shock unless of course you don't mind sending it to hospital on a very regular basis. If not mistaken, the service for a PP takes months and is in the 5 figure range depending on complications.

For steel AP ROO, I believe a full service is around RM7k or more.. haven't had to use it yet....   :Praying:  Maybe someone who knows can share.
Well, for some people who rocking a RICHARD MILLE as daily, PP and AP are nothing for them.  ;D

Seriously I don't understand wearing a watch as a daily would've caused it to visit SC regularly? Perhaps scratches will be generate but calibre problems? I can't brain it, I won't buy a watch if I don't wear it.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »

Cheer.

Well, for some people who rocking a RICHARD MILLE as daily, PP and AP are nothing for them.  ;D

Seriously I don't understand wearing a watch as a daily would've caused it to visit SC regularly? Perhaps scratches will be generate but calibre problems? I can't brain it, I won't buy a watch if I don't wear it.

Not all of us are Nadal and I doubt he rocks the RM daily as a beater. Probably only uses it during the game to as part of the advertising contract agreement. Supposedly, the watch is so light it doesn't get in the way of his game but can you imagine the G-forces exerted on that movement and believe it nothing happens to it? Same case with AP and Serena Williams.

You don't see Patek pulling a stunt like that right? And Federer only puts on the ROLEX when it's time to lift the trophy in front of cameras.

Offline apache0909

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 07:40:52 PM »
From the looks of the watches, it would appear to me that rolex seems more hardy compared to AP and PP. Though I have to say Ive nvr worn an AP or PP.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 10:45:34 AM »

Cheer.

Not all of us are Nadal and I doubt he rocks the RM daily as a beater. Probably only uses it during the game to as part of the advertising contract agreement. Supposedly, the watch is so light it doesn't get in the way of his game but can you imagine the G-forces exerted on that movement and believe it nothing happens to it? Same case with AP and Serena Williams.

You don't see Patek pulling a stunt like that right? And Federer only puts on the ROLEX when it's time to lift the trophy in front of cameras.
Here is a very good example of how are we being well influenced by these brands' marketing. When sport celebrities (or their ambassadors) wearing a certain watch, it mean that the watch is tough and durable but they certainly don't wear it during the game. We can see Rolex/AP/Omega sponsored many sport events and tournament but not PP. Rolex known as the King of Sport Sponsorship, motorsports, tennis, equestrianism , golf, sailing, just to name a few.

Maybe I got it wrong, at least for my daily routine, I don't do stunt or sport everyday, I'm just a regular office boy, wearing Rolex, AP or PP daily will not ruin the watch as per say, maybe just some desk diving marks or scratches, this is what I meant "daily".  ;D

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »

Got vacancy there? I oso wanna be office boy wearing PP there....

Offline ethan89

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2020, 02:06:14 PM »

Got vacancy there? I oso wanna be office boy wearing PP there....
Just sayin'  ::)

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2020, 04:24:19 PM »
Of the three brands, I went Rolex. Very simple..AP is too big, PP is too small and Rolex is just right...just like Goldilocks. I have a six and a half inch wrist and it was a time when all watches are available without having to pay a premium and you can just go into any AD and try on any watch with no issues...This was the day when an AP Royal Oak was only around RM50K.

My ultimate grail back in the day was a PP 5711 blue dial. Second on the list was an AP diver. Never in my wildest dream would I even want to entertain the idea of buying a Rolex. It was because so many wear it, it is so damn common and there are so many “homages” to the Submariner.

So fast forward to another time where the watches are still readily available, I have the funds, and I felt that I can justify the purchase of a “nice” watch...So it’s off to the boutique to try on my grail. Now I know that I don’t have overly large wrists,  as mine is the size of your average Asian...and I was wearing an IWC 3717 at the time, not chunky, but 42mm and a little thick. So after trying on the very elegant, slim and beautiful 5711...I was left feeling...a little underwhelmed. I gave it a few more days of thought...went back to the boutique to retry it and walked out without the watch. It was going to cost me RM120K for that watch back then. Which is why I had to think for so long. I am just a salaryman and not from a rich family. So that to me was a HUGE purchase. If I were to hear Angels singing etc etc when I tried it on, I would have bought it...no hesitation. But, it was not singing to me. So no PP for me...

Then it was off to the AP boutique where an AP diver would have cost, at the time, RM65K...tried the watch on...only to find it...too big. The integrated bracelet had a bigger diameter than my wrist and it “overhung”...so sad so sad...I went home, thought about it...went back again to try it out, only to find it...still too big.

I left with nothing, didn’t think about watches for a few years, till it was the missus’ 30th birthday. And I went out to get her a 34mm Rolex Air King, white dial 3,6,9. Classic...brushed oyster bracelet and simple classic lines. It was then that I realised...hey...Rolex ain’t too bad...feels very solid. Very versatile and is built really well. That was what turned me...and I never looked back. I didn’t think about resale value back then, or anything else...just wanted a watch that is tough as nails...goes with everything and can be serviced anywhere in the world should something happen to it.

SO this is my story...hope this helps. I don’t care about value retention, or see it as an “investment” or anything else. It was just a tough watch, put it on and forget about it. No need to baby it. Wear it to the beach, to the pool and anything else in between. It is slim enough to slip under my cuff if I have to wear a shirt and tie and casual enough for T shirt and shorts. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2020, 07:12:50 PM »

This long write up is probably why many people buy and wear a ROLEX. Simple, comfortable, easy to wear everywhere watches. PP is probably too much for most people and AP just to large, chunky and fragile.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »

This long write up is probably why many people buy and wear a ROLEX. Simple, comfortable, easy to wear everywhere watches. PP is probably too much for most people and AP just to large, chunky and fragile.
It is a rather simple, comfortable and easy watch to wear...and this is the one that started it all for me, even though that it was for my wife...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline el118

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:36 PM »
1) I missed my chance to land on Nautilus 5711 at sub-RM80k 5 years back and the rest is history. their prices now are like glove counter shares, whether you dare to move in.
2) I used to own AP Royal Oak and offshores, frankly speaking the quality (Movement) were rather disappointing and have since unloaded them.
3) For peace of mind, go for Rolex.
4) Best still, i wear smart watch more than others now!

Offline jmur3

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 02:37:43 PM »
I used to dream about rolex, then dislike rolex and ended up buying rolex.
In fact, i was contemplating hard between AP15710ST and rolex 126600 last year.
The robustness and durability of rolex made me go for the 126600.
Even though they are considered tool watch, i find they are bling enough for dinners, etc.
Since then, i have decided to casually collect rolex as and when watch fund is available.
Maybe i will venture to others such as IWC, Panerai, Omega and Glashutte original in the future.
After all, pocket is not deep enough to collect everything that we want  :P...