Author Topic: New Speedmaster 321  (Read 4171 times)

Offline i.z.z

• Freshie
New Speedmaster 321
« on: June 30, 2020, 03:48:04 AM »
Omega announced  the new Speedmaster 321 "Ed White" in January early this year and expected to be release in July. But due to global pandemic the release is expected to be at the end of the year.
For Speedmaster fans this watch is the real deal , in stainless steel. It is a vintage watch made in modern time. The legendary and iconic 321 movement had been re-introduced in Platinum last year. Even for Speedy fans the platinum watch was exabortitant in price. USD 59,400 watch is unachievable for majority of the people atleast.
So for RM 55,900 the new stainless steel Speedy 321 might make someone dream achievable.
So what do you think of the 321 movement, is it worth the hype and high price? Is it worth to pay for the history and craftsmanship? How about the new Speedy, is it just a marketing strategy from Omega to compete with more popular and expensive Daytona?
Sorry for the long post. And i could not find any thread or discussions about Speedmaster in here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline G.MAC

Re: New Speedmaster 321
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:10:40 AM »
The caliber 321 is a robust movement but is it worth the price and hype? Maybe not. If something could be sold for cheaper back then, it is clear that the company is trying to milk the history of the watch through marketing. RM55,900 is asking a lot for an Omega with even the Speedy Tuesdays costing half that at retail. Still I believe that it will sell reasonably well with it being a moonwatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline i.z.z

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:33:17 AM »
Yup I agree with you bro G.Mac. Omega is taking advantage of the history of the movement, and the difficulty of getting a hand on SS Daytona at retail. And the original 321 movement in vintage Speedmaster also has gone up in price and are a rarity specially in mint condition.
But I think their strategy is working as what I heard from Omega AD is that there's a waiting list already.

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »
Taking advantage is about right. The Speedmaster, to me, has always stood as the affordable option to Rolex. With the new "Ed White" with 321, this is no longer the case. Not to mention, Omega has also been continuously "milking" their customers with a barrage of Limited Editions, year after year.

I was (perhaps am still) a fan, but my interest has started to wane. No brand is infallible, Panerai showed us that.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
Cal. 321 is aka Lemania 2310.

Currently, Lemania is now owned by Richemont group. Mont Blanc watch with Lemania movement is less costly and more worthwhile to own.

Offline i.z.z

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
Cal. 321 is aka Lemania 2310.

Currently, Lemania is now owned by Richemont group. Mont Blanc watch with Lemania movement is less costly and more worthwhile to own.
Yup it is a Lemania 2310, Omega call it cal 321. PP, VC, and Breguet had based their movement from Lemania 2310 if I'm not mistaken. So it's a great movement no doubt.
I had thought that montblanc has minerva movement, so good to know.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
Sorry but no thanks!

The waiting list is from the people who think they're able to profit from it by re-selling at a premium. But how much more above premium do you think you can go after RM55,900 RRP? This isn't like the CK2998 which had a much lower RRP.

And as I mentioned in another thread, Omega is just milking the Moonwatch brand too much for far too long. I would rather drop the money on the co-axial chronograph and Liquidmetal tech than this outdated movement.

Nice but not RM55,900 nice. Plenty of very nice chronos you can buy for that money.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 10:55:36 AM »
I do agreed with bro dpkong.

Of late, many of these 'moonwatch' have lapped into unreasonable price bracket.

IMHO, these so called movement cal 321 aka 2310 aka lemania have been in existence for decades, which can be found in many known chronograph. The only 321 moonwatch of a particular made that been to the moon, or was it? And this make the brand famous.

Jumping onto the band wagon with the revised old caliber with an overpriced tag is a bit tad much.

My 2 cts
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 09:09:29 PM »
Don’t forget RM55,900 is about the same RRP as a Rolex Sky Dweller

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 08:26:59 PM »

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-caliber-321-review-including-a-video/

The reviewer is drooling over it. I still fail to see why. Wondering if it has landed in Malaysia and if anyone here already owns one?

Offline i.z.z

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 10:05:53 PM »

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-speedmaster-caliber-321-review-including-a-video/

The reviewer is drooling over it. I still fail to see why. Wondering if it has landed in Malaysia and if anyone here already owns one?
Last I heard from Omega KL is delayed to end of this year. This was like 1 month ago.