Author Topic: Where to authenticate watches  (Read 9350 times)

Offline G.MAC

Re: Where to authenticate watches
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
I think it depends on which state the seller is from. Not all states have service centres for some watch brands. Talking about shipping a watch all the way to the service centre in KL and risk it being lost in the process? I dont think I would do so as a seller.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline aramis

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2020, 05:17:39 PM »
Normally how long does it take to authenticate a watch?

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline danielfoo

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »
I have an interesting experience buying a watch from Chrono24.

The dealer guarantee the watch is genuine and Chrono24 has an escrow account to protect the buyer. So I placed the order. Upon receiving the watch, the serial number did not seem right. I brought the watch to the brand official service center for an authenticity check for RM50. Result came back to be not authentic. I contacted Chrono24 with the result. Chrono24 contacted the dealer to arrange for return but the dealer decided not to respond to any message.

Few days later, Chrono24 refund 100% of my money and I get to keep the AAA gred replica to play with  :Laughing_on_floor:
Please PM me if you would like to review any watches.

I'm also happy to contribute as guest author if you have a watch review blog.

Offline oldisgold

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
Does the rolex sc still does authentication?

I don't think you could call it authentication...

Maybe you suspect the watch to be running fast or slow, then bring it to them and ask them to check if it needs calibration. I'm not sure if they will charge you if you decide not to have the watch serviced if that is their recommendation after checking the watch.

If they return the watch to you with a report, then you could be certain the watch is authentic.
I heard they will confiscate it if found to be fake. Is it true?

That's the rumor but I don't think anybody here has experienced that first hand. Also heard they will refuse to work on franken watches like 3rd party dials and bezels.
My experience on this back in 2016. I think Rolex was still doing authentication then. I sent in my watch that I just bought pre-owned. The shop already warned me that the crystal seems like non ori to them. Bezel was also semi wrecked. Everything was ok. Hence they gave me a good price. I took the watch to Rolex for service and change parts. Rolex was willing to do it i.e. replace the crystal and bezel to original parts. Rolex also called me to confirm that the crystal was not Ori, hence they'll change it to maintain the water proofing integrity. They also didn't polish the watch per my instructions not to.

On the day I went to collect my watch, another man brought in a watch for authentication. The service counter lady checked it out first then flat out told him his watch is a fake. Man was stunned but still insisted to have the technician check it out. Lady told him, once open back case cover he'll be charged RMxxx (forgot how much). Man insisted. 1 minute later, technician told him fake. Gave it back to him, he still was asked to pay RMxxx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline Potential_Highlight

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2020, 01:26:14 AM »
Actually what watch model are you looking at from the FB? Care to share? Maybe we have some experts here with in-dept knowledge regarding that model :)
Oh there are a few pieces I am looking at right now

There's a Tudor 1926, there's an Oris Aquis Date, and a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Grand Guichet

The Tudor and the Maurice Lacroix are the ones that do not come in a full set. The Oris comes with the full set, so that one seems safe (although some people say replica watch makers can now even make replica box and papers :-[)

These are all FB sellers, two of them are from a different state than me

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2020, 01:27:55 AM »
I have an interesting experience buying a watch from Chrono24.

The dealer guarantee the watch is genuine and Chrono24 has an escrow account to protect the buyer. So I placed the order. Upon receiving the watch, the serial number did not seem right. I brought the watch to the brand official service center for an authenticity check for RM50. Result came back to be not authentic. I contacted Chrono24 with the result. Chrono24 contacted the dealer to arrange for return but the dealer decided not to respond to any message.

Few days later, Chrono24 refund 100% of my money and I get to keep the AAA gred replica to play with  :Laughing_on_floor:
Oh that's good to hear, good on Chrono24 for protecting their buyers

What about the shipping of the watch? Did you have to go collect from kastam and pay taxes on it?

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2020, 01:29:41 AM »
Does the rolex sc still does authentication?

I don't think you could call it authentication...

Maybe you suspect the watch to be running fast or slow, then bring it to them and ask them to check if it needs calibration. I'm not sure if they will charge you if you decide not to have the watch serviced if that is their recommendation after checking the watch.

If they return the watch to you with a report, then you could be certain the watch is authentic.
I heard they will confiscate it if found to be fake. Is it true?

That's the rumor but I don't think anybody here has experienced that first hand. Also heard they will refuse to work on franken watches like 3rd party dials and bezels.
My experience on this back in 2016. I think Rolex was still doing authentication then. I sent in my watch that I just bought pre-owned. The shop already warned me that the crystal seems like non ori to them. Bezel was also semi wrecked. Everything was ok. Hence they gave me a good price. I took the watch to Rolex for service and change parts. Rolex was willing to do it i.e. replace the crystal and bezel to original parts. Rolex also called me to confirm that the crystal was not Ori, hence they'll change it to maintain the water proofing integrity. They also didn't polish the watch per my instructions not to.

On the day I went to collect my watch, another man brought in a watch for authentication. The service counter lady checked it out first then flat out told him his watch is a fake. Man was stunned but still insisted to have the technician check it out. Lady told him, once open back case cover he'll be charged RMxxx (forgot how much). Man insisted. 1 minute later, technician told him fake. Gave it back to him, he still was asked to pay RMxxx

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Yea, that's good to hear

It just seem highly unlikely they will/can confiscate your watch

I think the worst thing that can happen to you if you bring a fake into the service centre is having your ego bruised when they tell you your watch is a fake, that and the damage to your wallet when you pay for the authentication
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:36:48 AM by Potential_Highlight »

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2020, 01:33:27 AM »
I think it depends on which state the seller is from. Not all states have service centres for some watch brands. Talking about shipping a watch all the way to the service centre in KL and risk it being lost in the process? I dont think I would do so as a seller.
Yea, that's another thing, even if you're convinced the watch is genuine, there're still other potential problems when you deal over the internet

I mean, the seller can just refuse to ship it to you once you banked in, for example

Maybe get them to deal through Shopee or Lazada or something, although I'm not sure how good Shopee and Lazada are at protecting their buyers when something goes wrong

But of course even if Shopee and Lazada are able to protect the buyer, they're naturally going to take a cut from the sale, and it is unlikely the seller will absorb it, so he'll simply mark up the price of the watch to pass the cost on to you

Then again, if it isn't much, it's still worth it if Shopee or Lazada can offer good buyer protection
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:36:03 AM by Potential_Highlight »