Author Topic: Where to authenticate watches  (Read 9361 times)

Offline aramis

Where to authenticate watches
« on: June 05, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
Hi, apologies if this has been asked before, did a search but couldn't find any posting on this subject.

May I know besides AD, where else can I get a watch authenticated? Can I get such service from those preowned watch reseller shops? And normally how much will it cost?

Thanks

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline David_cheong

Re: Where to authenticate watches
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 01:36:12 PM »
Can try Times Sq, level 6. If yours is a common branded watches.
Be prepared to pay rm150 up or more. The sifus will open up the watch case and explained It’s authenticity and also let you takes pics of the movement.

For the season sifus, they will know it’s authenticity once they get to handle & feel your watches. Just to be 100% sure, they need to open up the back case.

But nowadays, nothing can be cxxksure where even the movements looks authentic. And this is where the expertises of the Sifus comes in..

Once we had a Cartier. Everything look alright except 1 tiny error...
Again, we have had our fair share of stories to tell, if you have the time....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline aramis

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
Can try Times Sq, level 6. If yours is a common branded watches.
Be prepared to pay rm150 up or more. The sifus will open up the watch case and explained It’s authenticity and also let you takes pics of the movement.

For the season sifus, they will know it’s authenticity once they get to handle & feel your watches. Just to be 100% sure, they need to open up the back case.

But nowadays, nothing can be cxxksure where even the movements looks authentic. And this is where the expertises of the Sifus comes in..

Once we had a Cartier. Everything look alright except 1 tiny error...
Again, we have had our fair share of stories to tell, if you have the time....

dc
Thank you so much for reply.  :)

Offline aramis

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
I presume it can also be done at Amcorp mall as I heard there are good shops there?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 01:54:05 PM »
I presume it can also be done at Amcorp mall as I heard there are good shops there?

Sure can do.
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline aramis

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 01:57:09 PM »
Thx again for the quick reply.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 09:08:23 AM »
bro..

DC is one of the old guards here..
he has given you some hints..
go Times Square L6 and look..

sometimes it's not as simple as hand over watch, inspect and report, pay bill, leave shop all in 10 mins....

p/s.. he doesn't want to advertise here (hint again)

Offline aramis

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 09:53:26 AM »
bro..

DC is one of the old guards here..
he has given you some hints..
go Times Square L6 and look..

sometimes it's not as simple as hand over watch, inspect and report, pay bill, leave shop all in 10 mins....

p/s.. he doesn't want to advertise here (hint again)
Got it. Thx. ;)

Offline Adzrienn

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 07:22:49 PM »
Does the rolex sc still does authentication?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 07:31:21 PM »

I don't think you could call it authentication...

Maybe you suspect the watch to be running fast or slow, then bring it to them and ask them to check if it needs calibration. I'm not sure if they will charge you if you decide not to have the watch serviced if that is their recommendation after checking the watch.

If they return the watch to you with a report, then you could be certain the watch is authentic.

Offline aramis

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 07:36:57 PM »

Maybe you suspect the watch to be running fast or slow, then bring it to them and ask them to check if it needs calibration. I'm not sure if they will charge you if you decide not to have the watch serviced if that is their recommendation after checking the watch.

If they return the watch to you with a report, then you could be certain the watch is authentic.
I heard they will confiscate it if found to be fake. Is it true?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:27 PM »

That's the rumor but I don't think anybody here has experienced that first hand. Also heard they will refuse to work on franken watches like 3rd party dials and bezels.

Offline Potential_Highlight

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 01:07:35 AM »

That's just stealing isn't it

I'll be extremely surprised if they do it. I would like to know, under which Malaysian law did they get the power to confiscate watches

We're not in primary schools, and they are not teachers. I highly doubt they can randomly confiscate your belonging

Offline aramis

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 06:19:06 AM »
May
Be not here I guess. Read it somewhere, I think from other countries. Laws are different maybe. :)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 07:19:53 AM »

I'll be extremely surprised if they do it. I would like to know, under which Malaysian law did they get the power to confiscate watches

We're not in primary schools, and they are not teachers. I highly doubt they can randomly confiscate your belonging

Please buy AAA grade one and bring to service centre and see what happens??

Probably they use the same rule govt use to confiscate fake LV bags and Nike shoes. IP infringement.

Maybe we are in primary schools eh?

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
Depending whom you deal with at the RSC.
Overall, they will return your watch watch if they have a reason/s to suspect the watch had been tempered with.
Eg, funny serial / fonts, franken watch, etc.
I believe they have the data base and rights to retain watches if the Model / Serial no. are reported stolen by the local authorities.

Reputated grey dealers will honour their wares with 100% refund if (your Rollie) found to be "not right" or not acceptable in any sense by the RSC.

dc

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 01:31:59 PM »
You can also do so at Subang Empire, Dekairos. The owner Andy is very friendly.

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 04:11:38 AM »

Please buy AAA grade one and bring to service centre and see what happens??

Probably they use the same rule govt use to confiscate fake LV bags and Nike shoes. IP infringement.

Maybe we are in primary schools eh?
They will refuse to service or do whatever work it is you wanted them to do on it in the first place

Even when the government wants to confiscate your fake LVs or Nikes, it has to be done by the right authorities

It's no different from when you randomly park your car - the traffic police and the bandaraya have the power to saman you, but for the bomba or kastam, for example, very much less so

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 04:47:00 AM »
Going back to the topic of authenticating watches, I need some help

I'm contemplating buying a pre-owned watched right now

Problem is, the watch comes without box and papers, and the seller is based in a different state

Yes, I know the adage is to buy the seller, but in this particular situation, the seller comes across to me as neutral, he's neither particularly suspicious nor trustworthy - he's just one of those random sellers posting on FB, and he of course claims that his watch is 100% authentic

So, does anyone have any tips or advise on how to avoid buying a fake watch in this kind situation?

Or is buying from a random seller on FB strictly a big no no?

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 08:05:48 AM »
The thing is even if you can view the watch personally, you might not be able to tell whether it is real or fake, unless you are very familiar with the brand or model. So to buy from private seller from FB without seeing the actual watch, the risk is definitely high.

But also depends on the actual value of the watch. if the value is not high, then maybe you can give it a shot.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 09:08:53 PM »
The thing is even if you can view the watch personally, you might not be able to tell whether it is real or fake, unless you are very familiar with the brand or model. So to buy from private seller from FB without seeing the actual watch, the risk is definitely high.

But also depends on the actual value of the watch. if the value is not high, then maybe you can give it a shot.
True, seems like there's really no way to tell

The pre-owned market really feels like the wild wild west

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »
Ok, so I've given this some thought

Perhaps when we are dealing with someone over the internet who's in a different state, we could tell them to send the watch to the service centre to be serviced, at our cost

Yes, this will incur some extra cost for us, but it seems to be the most foolproof way to authenticate the watch

If the seller is unwilling/unable to bring the watch to be serviced by the service centre, even when we offer to pay for it, I'd say that's a pretty huge red flag

The only legitimate reason I can think of for the seller to be reluctant to do this is if he considers the possibility that we aren't serious about buying the watch and change our mind after he got it serviced, therefore ending up wasting his time and money

What do you guys think?

I mean, overall this sounds like the easiest/best way to authenticate pre-owned watches, yet it is not a common practice. Is there something that I am missing?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:08:23 PM by Potential_Highlight »

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »
If I'm the seller, I might be reluctant to do so unless the buyer deposit the cost to send the watch to the service centre to me first. There is a possibility that the buyer might back out after I sent the watch to service (as you had mentioned), and I'm left to pay the bill. Bear in mind that certain brand's servicing is not cheap.

Maybe what you can do is nego with him send the watch to any reputable luxurious watch repair centre in his state, and ask the guy to open the back case and authenticate the watch. Most will just charge RM100 - RM150 to do that. Take photo of the watch movement or video the process to you. But of course, you have to deposit the authentication fee to him first.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »
If I'm the seller, I might be reluctant to do so unless the buyer deposit the cost to send the watch to the service centre to me first. There is a possibility that the buyer might back out after I sent the watch to service (as you had mentioned), and I'm left to pay the bill. Bear in mind that certain brand's servicing is not cheap.

Maybe what you can do is nego with him send the watch to any reputable luxurious watch repair centre in his state, and ask the guy to open the back case and authenticate the watch. Most will just charge RM100 - RM150 to do that. Take photo of the watch movement or video the process to you. But of course, you have to deposit the authentication fee to him first.
Yea, sounds like a plan

If it's Rm100/150 to authenticate the watch then it's reasonable, I'll just think of it as paying Rm100/150 as insurance against buying a replica, very worth it

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
Actually what watch model are you looking at from the FB? Care to share? Maybe we have some experts here with in-dept knowledge regarding that model :)