Author Topic: Gruppo Gamma A3  (Read 3543 times)

Offline Everdying

Gruppo Gamma A3
« on: December 30, 2013, 05:09:35 PM »
Well, I guess very little more can be said about them as most who have ordered the MWF watch are already probably familiar with them.
But i got curious on this A3 brass model, this being my 3rd el cheapo one after an Armida and the Margrette.
Here are the latter 2 side by side.

Anyway, onto the A3.
Interesting green california sandwich dial, which would go pretty well with the patina once it starts to set in again.
The lume on it is also pretty decent, lasting at least 2-3hrs into the night.
The brass on it appears to be a different composition compared to the Margrette, as this A3 polishes more to an almost silver-ish look whereas the Margrette still maintains strong hints of copper.

A Brevet signed crown, whereby info on what it is is readily available elsewhere :P

Nothing really spectacular to see in the movement, being a Seagull handwind it is pretty bare with no visible Seagull branding on it.
The actual winding itself takes abit of care, as there is very little play between it screwing back onto itself and the actual winding.
The movement itself has no over-wind protection, rather as with certain others you can't wind any further once its full 48 hours of power has been reached, so basically if you go too far you won't be able to screw it back and have to wait about 5-6 hours for power to wind down a little.
IMO would have preferred if there was no screw-down crown, though which would then drop its water resistance rating to 50m, a small trade-off that I can definitely live with.

It's got a high caseback, as can be seen the lugs are actually a little higher.

Unfortunately, mine did not come perfect as there are tool marks on it.
I guess at this price, perfection cannot be expected? Anyway, for the price it is decent enough.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Gruppo Gamma A3
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:55:53 PM »
Tq for sharing this.
U r bronze/brass watches lover for sure

Offline gapnap

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:02:16 AM »
Nice review :)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:56 AM »

Nothing really spectacular to see in the movement, being a Seagull handwind it is pretty bare with no visible Seagull branding on it.
The actual winding itself takes abit of care, as there is very little play between it screwing back onto itself and the actual winding.
The movement itself has no over-wind protection, rather as with certain others you can't wind any further once its full 48 hours of power has been reached, so basically if you go too far you won't be able to screw it back and have to wait about 5-6 hours for power to wind down a little.
IMO would have preferred if there was no screw-down crown, though which would then drop its water resistance rating to 50m, a small trade-off that I can definitely live with.

Nice review. Just a suggestion, wind the watch up before you go to bed. By the time you wake up, you can easily screw back in the crown.