Author Topic: Ball ceramic XV  (Read 16622 times)

Offline JayJay

Ball ceramic XV
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:15:22 PM »
My a day old Ball Ceramic XV

how to attach photo here
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:06:24 PM by JayJay »

Offline watchmanu

Re: Ball ceramic XV
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
bro JayJay,

check this below to attach photo

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,1228.0.html
watchManU

Offline JayJay

Re: Ball ceramic XV (CXV) vs DeepQuest(DQ)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »

After window shop in KL and reading this comparison(at Rolex forum), i decided to go for CXV, really love my 3rd Ball watch after Aviator GMT and ManU like Fireman Racer

While the two references represent what might be considered the upper end of the Ball Hydrocarbon/diver line, the two watches have their own distinct personalities.

They do share the same eta 2892 movement and COSC status, bracelets that are constructed in the same manner, and of course Ball's gas light tecnology (more about that later).

However; in many respects the two are totally different animals.

After wearing both and studing the differences, I've come to the conclusion the Ceramic XV is the "Gentleman" as opposed to the "Brute" which is the Deepquest.

If James Bond wore a Ball it would be the Ceramic XV. Capable of performing any task one could ask of a timepiece yet fully at home under the cuff of a tux or the black sleeve of a ninja.

The Deepquest makes no bones about being a purpose built professional watch ready to go places it's owner couldn't take.

Let's explore,

Perhaps the first thing that catches the eye of anyone thinking about a new timepiece is the dial.

With it's concentric rings, full 3,6,9,12 numbers, and broad ornate hands, the XV draws the eye. The Deepquest with it's clean dial (though having depth) and indices presents a "cleaner" look with everything you need and nothing you don't for it's intended purpose.

Both, of course have a date feature with the DQ's being in the more traditional 3 o'clock position.

Thickness favors the Deepquest by a mile certainly fitting for a watch capable of 3000 meters. Here, however Ball's use of titanium gives it the feeling of a much lighter watch than on would expect from it's demensions. Indeed it's feels on par if not a tad lighter on the wrist than the Ceramic XV given the latter's steel construction.

As we see the DQ is the much more massive of the two despite being only 1mm larger than the VX. The difference of course lies with the thicker case.

While on the subject, no comparison could be complete without mentioning the monoblock case of the DQ as opposed to the traditional caseback of the CVX,

Here we can see the real difference in thickness, but don't be fooled by the DQ's thickness. Because of the titanium case and the shape of the caseback the watch hides it's girth well on the wrist and with proper adjustment of the bracelet displays little of the "top heavy floppyness" some brands with all steel case have shown,

Crown protection, as we see, take different pathes as does the means to anchor the bracelet to the case. The ceramic with it's traditional screws and Ball's unique crown protector represent "the norm" in the Hydro carbon line while the T5 screws and huge crown favor a more traditional look in a deep diver. (Note: the crown on the DQ really has to be tried to get a feeling of it's strength).

Certainly the domed crystal of the Deepquest as opposed to the flat crystal of the ceramic give a depth to the dial that harkens to it's professional strength.

Luminosity. I have to say I had to think about this. Both use tritium tubes, both bring all there is to bear that T series tubes are known for, but the 3,6,9,12 numerials and their additional tubes give the VX a look that is just amazing.

Both use superluminova on the bezel insert, but here we see the difference between the "traditional" and one designed for a purpose.

While on the subject of luminosity I've noticed a bit of a difference regarding the bezel inserts.

Perhaps it's the difference in applying to ceramic as opposed to brushed titanium, but to eye the insert on the Deepquest just BURNS. I swear if someone in an adjoining room stickes a match the DQ's insert will start to glow like crazy.

I have to mention something about accuracy. Certainly all watches are different and how we wear our watches can affect it's ability to preform, but these two are among the most accurate and CONSISTENT pieces I have. The Deepquest seems to a tad below +2 sec. and the Ceramic...aw I'm not sure, it gained 6 seconds in 15 days. That's wearing each reference 24/7 respectively.

Noteworthy as well is the lack of positional variation and consistency each has exibited from the workhore 2892 movement as well as lack of any "handslack" when setting the time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:28:38 PM by JayJay »

Offline JayJay

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:14:40 PM »
my a day old CXV
yahoo

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:27:00 PM by JayJay »

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »
Jay Jay,

lovely watch! mind to pm me the damage of this watch?

watchManU

Offline JayJay

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »
mr watchmanu

sent pm to you

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 07:14:33 AM »
Very informative review. The Ball brand has not been on my radar - now looking closely at their offering :thumbsup:
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline kulcha

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
mant thanks for sharing your experience  :thumbsup:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »
Very Good review on the Balls!
I think JJ can be consider a "sifu" knowledgeable on Ball brand of watches.  :thumbsup:

Cheers.
Chng

Offline ckmcsk

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »
Excellent

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
beautiful piece..
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline fauzi_divemaster

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
 Wow..excellent review,how much the Rsp for ball ceramic,and how much/% disc u get....i wanna get one if still available..coz next week will get my 2010 divident...thanks yaa

Offline JayJay

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 04:02:39 AM »
Fauzi
Pm to you

Offline acurusaragon

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 08:07:40 AM »
I went to MdValley and all shops selling this watch was telling that all stock like "goreng pisang" .... none available and all snapped up oledi .

Offline JayJay

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
As i mentioned earlier, Ball is coming strong in 2012 at good entry price, but soon they will start selling at premium price too,

Interesting to note its american but commisioned made in switzerland

I have 3 ball different series, maybe next will be TMT

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Ted baker

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
Nice watch bro....i have one trainmaster, really like the lumi....cheers

Offline jerrylvm

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
good to see there are more Ball aficionados.......roll the Bola owners .

mine is Magnate Chrono

Offline jenlam23

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:43:58 AM »
Personally I still prefer Ball Deepquest... I prefer cleaner dial and the lume @ night....

Offline Likethemall

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:53 PM »

Love your piece! I agree with you Jay Jay.

Bought my second ever piece of watch in my collection now few years back. It was a Ball engineer hydrocarbon. Bought this cos it had a large (for me) and an identical smaller boy size fot my wifey. White faced titanium and ss for the boy size.

I used it to beat the rain and shine daily for a while, til others came along. But if im ever in doubt of which watch to wear .. without meticulously plotting my route and activities for the day, and thinking of whether the watch i wear can take the punishment i may put it through .. And still look good in, i'd grab the my 'Ball' instinctively

First time i heard someone wanted to buy a Ball, i squirmed! Yuck! To pay quite a bit for 'that watch' , not clever.

Until a few mths later, i accidentally looked up it's brand history online after spotting the hydrocarbon and i immediately could see why stocks were low in Malaysia.

I tot for it's history, this watch shud be priced more.

The rest is history ..

Offline shahzh

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 08:29:41 AM »
Nice one indeed.. :thumbsup:

Offline ckmcsk

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Do not see this model in Ipoh. Anyone pls inform which shop in kl still carries this watch

Offline JayJay

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Pm you already

Offline betahulu1

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
good to see there are more Ball aficionados.......roll the Bola owners .

mine is Magnate Chrono
:Cheers:Firstly I'm new here..infact this is my first post.Hello everybody!Think I am into Ball Afficiondos too....I owned two
Ball watches......one hydrocarbon Spacemaster Super Lume and one ball trieste.Thinking of getting one more.........!! :Dancing_banana:
Live your life best....no regrets!

Offline JayJay

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
Dear betahulu,

Your next ball shud try fireman night train, superb luminosity, one of best i have seen so far,

Am scouting other model now after acquired ball GMT Aviator, fireman racer and ceramic XV,

Offline betahulu1

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
 :Cheers:Cheers Jay Jay,comming in soon......very soon!
Dear betahulu,

Your next ball shud try fireman night train, superb luminosity, one of best i have seen so far,

Am scouting other model now after acquired ball GMT Aviator, fireman racer and ceramic XV,
Live your life best....no regrets!