Author Topic: Scuro Bead Blasted Titanium Diver Watch  (Read 4989 times)

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
Scuro Bead Blasted Titanium Diver Watch
« on: January 30, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
After a long while, I managed to get this review up here. The watch being reviewed today is the Scuro Bead Blasted Titanium Dive watch.

For those unfamiliar, Scuro is a new Kickstarter brand by Malaysians and headquartered in Langkawi as I know. They funded their project via Kickstarter and managed to obtain full funding last year. Production commenced and after much trial and tribulations, the watches started shipping in January 2017, with the backers and me getting it first.

The watch that I’m currently reviewing is graciously offered by Scuro Watches for a draw organized by MWF, in which I won. Thanks to Scuro Watches and MWF!!

I received the watch on the 20th of January via PosLaju and it came in a padded envelope. Upon opening, one would find the simple yet tastefully designed wood box which is very nice. It has the SCURO name and Logo engraved on the cover.

The box is a flip open type and what you see inside is the watch on the bottom half with the warranty card and the extra strap on the top, which is a NATO in my case. A note of appreciation here, the watches comes standard with NATO and the calf leather strap as a paid option. However, Scuro has graciously offered the leather strap free for backers, pre-orders and me too.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The watch is very lightweight, and I mean seriously so as I am accustomed to heavy watches such as the Seiko Divers. My first thought was, is this real? As in a metal watch that’s so light. This was my first experience with titanium watches. Furthermore, the watch is rated to 200m.

Upon closer inspection, the titanium has a dark grey hue to it. The bead blasting was done evenly and uniformly, edges were crisp. It has a simple but well executed design where it exudes the functionality of the watch.

Case
The watch case as stated is made from 100% titanium which is a very light but strong metal. As this version is bead blasted, hence we get to appreciate the original titanium color which is a dull dark steel grey.

The caseback is solid with the Scuro brand and logo engraved in the middle and rating as well as movement engraved on the ring. It’s a screwdown caseback secured with individual screws as opposed to a threaded caseback. Very different design from what I’m used to.

The rotating bezel too is made from titanium with similar finishing as the rest of the case. It has a lume pip at 12 o’clock and the minute markers are all engraved into the bezel but without any filler paint. Bezel action is smooth and unidirectional as per divers watches.

The crystal is flush level with the bezel which in my opinion doesn’t offer the protection offered by higher bezels. Its fitted with a sapphire crystal which is very scratch resistant and offers greater optical clarity.

Winding crown is of titanium too, with the size large enough to be gripped securely and offers ease of operation. It’s a screw down crown which offers the water resistance rating.

Lugs were machined out with the case, but don’t be fooled by the screws on the lug ends. The spring bar is a normal spring type and not screwed in. Lug size is big and strong enough. Overall the case is very well constructed.

Movement
Scuro uses the Miyota 9015 movement which is a robust and high spec movement used by many watch brands. It has hacking and hand winding capabilities in addition to its automatic winding system. It has 3 hands and date function, with a bph of 28800 and 24 jewels. According to Miyota Co., this movement has a power reserve of approx. 42 hours and an accuracy of -10~30s per day.

From wearing it through the weekend, I can say that the accuracy is way better than stated and the power reserve is as stated of approximately 42 hours on full wind. The rotor has a characteristic sound when its rotating.

Dial
As with most divers watches, their dials are relatively uncluttered and made extremely simple but legible. This is the case with Scuro too, as their dial is minimal with the hour markers and a date window only. Even their logo is cleverly hidden to be visible under certain lighting conditions and angles only, very creative. The dial is a flat black with white markers. Hands are white with the seconds hand in orange colour.

A disappointment for me would be the lume, as its very difficult to charge it to full power. As such for most of the night even after exiting from shopping malls, the lume tends to just glow weakly. I know that the lume can be very bright as it can be charged full with a torchlight where it glows brightly. Maybe I’m spoiled by the Seiko Lumibrite which glows with even a little light, but that’s for you to judge.

Note: Charged with flashlight.

Straps
The watch came fitted with the leather strap which is more to my liking, personally I don’t prefer Nato’s. The leather strap is rather stiff at first, but after wearing for a few hours, its softened enough to be comfortable. It’s fitted with a titanium buckle with the Scuro logo engraved. The supplied nato strap too is of high quality and fitted with titanium rings and buckle.

The spring bars however are of the more common type and not the fat spring bars found in Seiko divers. As I’m just a desk diver, such things don’t overly concern me, but for those professionals they should look into this area.

Closing Remarks
Overall for the price point, it’s a great watch to own especially it being 100% titanium where you can’t get a full titanium watch at this price in the market nowadays. Add to it a robust and high quality automatic movement, one can’t expect more right? The design is simple, minimal and functional. The watch is so far easy to match and wear. It’s a crossover between sport and classy while being inconspicuous compared to most divers which are a big chunk of metal. In my opinion, a great watch to own considering everything.
Seiko fan.....

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Scuro Bead Blasted Titanium Diver Watch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
Nice write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Narco

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:46:37 PM »
Good review JeepWH. Interesting to know its a homemade brand in Langkawi!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:02:04 AM »
Good review JeepWH. Interesting to know its a homemade brand in Langkawi!

Afaik it's a Malaysian brand started by Malaysians, company in Langkawi as the watch was shipped from there. However, I believe that the watch is not manufactured in Malaysia though.
Seiko fan.....