Author Topic: Review : IWC Aquatimer 3290  (Read 9599 times)

Offline toolkit21

Review : IWC Aquatimer 3290
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »

My current collection is somehow made up of divers only. Its just a preference which I’m still unable to shake off and give others a try; like a pilot or dress or complications watch. So here is my additional divers piece to an already crowded collection. An IWC Aquatimer white dial on rubber, code 329003. Sharing drawer space would be a Tudor Pelagos, Seiko Tuna (Rose Gold), Aquadive GMT (yellow). All equally amazing pieces which I will have a hard time deciding which to dispose of, if it comes to that in the future.

As this is my 1st IWC, I am quite at awe with this brand’s product build, finishing, technology, accuracy, design and heritage (the divers range). Reading and having it in the flesh, is very different. Much praise has been said about IWC, and I agree with a whole lot of it. Initially the pilot chronograph (IWC 3777) was my target, however the flat dial just didn’t make it for me. And a chance sighting of this Aquatimer sealed the deal for me. Some thoughts about it;

Rubber strap
With only 7 buckle holes, my wrist (6.5”) found its comfort on the smallest hole. I am, however, concerned that any wrist size less than that can find a snug fit.
Observing closely at the hole design, they’re shaped on 1 side at an angled 45 degrees. What this does is it lets the buckle pin slot in easily and provide a secure hold thereafter.

Though no vanilla scent was present (eg. Isofrane) neither was there any rubber smell. Its just very well made to smell neutral, no small whatsoever. I appreciate this as a very well produced rubber. The width tapers down slightly (22mm to 20mm) but maintains an almost equal thickness throughout.

Best part about the strap design is the IWC’s quick change system. Its got a custom steel part made by moulding onto the rubber and pin. Bad news, it limits your choice to either IWC’s rubber or bracelet, and Nato style straps to some extent. Good news, its very quick, convenient and an ingenious design. You’ll notice the spring pin that is usually removed during strap change cannot be taken out from its place between the lugs. That’s the downside. I honestly can’t figure out how they made it stuck in there in the first place. Well at least it eliminates the problem of scratching inner lugs during a strap change.

Every rubber strap has a 4 alphabet serial printed below the IWC logo. On its under side, there’s a grooved design ensuring better ventilation and grip with skin, and I suppose better than previous iteration.
Buckle is made with INOX steel, finished in polished underside and brushed topside. There are 2 keepers.

Case & Sapphire glass
At 14mm height, the case has good heft but not overly bulky on the wrist. While a rubber strap is, to me, the best combination for this for its lightness. Whereas the steel bracelet is a solid chunk of metal, I find it adds way too much weight, so I opted for rubber instead.
The vertical brushed sides and polished chamfered edges are very nicely done. Lug edges are not made sharp, they’re made just nice.
Underside has a closed cover with engravings; International Watch Co., Aquatimer, Automatic, 30 Bar, serial number. Simple and easy to read font.
I really like the anti-reflective coating that’s applied on both sides of the convex sapphire glass because it is so clear. Occasionally it looked like nothing is there. Curvature is just barely, not entirely flat but not bulged up like a tummy. Doesn’t show any visual distortion when viewing dial at an angle.

Dial
Aquatimer Automatic range comes with dial that’s in silver or black. On the display cabinet, I also saw the 2016 blue dial version, however the sunburst effect wasn’t as tempting as it looked like in the picture. It is slightly subdued. For an option besides white and black, blue would be a nice match. Just didn’t do it for me.
I found the silver plating more unique than the usual black and matches the stainless steel case very nicely. Applied ‘U’ markers at every 5 minutes give a 3D effect with the rehaut, on the otherwise simple and clean dial. Large hour and minute baton hands fit the divers profile wonderfully, supplied with 2 super luminova colours of green and blue, the glow in the dark is mesmerising. Not sure how long it will last though.
Date display is white if you choose the silver dial and black if its the black dial. Simple idea made effectively. That should be the way, to blend the design seamlessly.

Bezel
SafeDive system, from IWC, is another well made design utilising a ratchet system (hidden in the 9 o’clock enclosure) that moves the inner bezel in 1 minute increments as you rotate the outer bezel. Being a ratchet style, only counter clockwise will move the inner bezel. Without the previous generation’s bezel design, a flat steel outer bezel gives the look of a large dress watch. Safely going from boardroom to surf board instantly, and looking the part well. Gets addictive too when playing on the bezel. The turns click into place with just enough resistance.

Wearability
Despite a long but sharp downward lug, with a flat case back, the watch sits firmly and comfortably on my wrist. The top heavy case with light rubber strap doesn’t feel like a chore when moving the arm. I’m assuming the bracelet may be, as its much heavier altogether.

Movement
Despite not supplying an in-house movement, I’m quite alright with that actually, the other components that make up this Aquatimer more than matches the value of this timepiece. An ETA2892/A2 is still a durable and easily serviceable movement.
I understand that IWC buys the 2892 in kit form and assembles with modified/new parts of their own design. Accuracy has been decent, about few seconds +/- a day depending on storage position. Will let it run in a while more. But has been quite close to Pelagos in terms of accuracy.
I like placing timepieces near my ear to hear the seconds or rotor wind. But couldn’t eek any sound from this Aquatimer. Love it.

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Re: Review : IWC Aquatimer 3290
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 04:40:39 AM »
Very comprehensive and nice review! The aquatimer looks nice on your wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline rnsm1979

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:41:38 AM »
lovely, i think if u take the 3777 pilot u will hear the rotor during movement

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:04:17 AM »
Thank you all for the kind words.

Yes I'm sure valjoux has that issue. Not much of a deal breaker but wouldn't expect that with an IWC

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:35:41 AM »
Thank you for sharing. I share the same view with you on my black dial IWC Aquatimer. Wear it in good health.

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »
Post a pic here. Great to see another Aquatimer owner

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »
Post a pic here. Great to see another Aquatimer owner

Thanks bro. Today with me is my G-shock which I have posted a pic in MWF. Will wear my Aquatimer tomorrow and post a pic here.  :Cheers:

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »

My black dial Aquatimer said Hi!

Offline Jedirat

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »

Lume photo.

Offline megPrez

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 08:29:26 AM »
congrats! looks very nice on your wrist.. wear it well sir

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2016, 11:14:15 AM »

Lume comparison; Tudor Pelagos, IWC Aquatimer, SeikoTuna.

Altogether exposed 10 seconds to sunlight. Green glows brightest, but blue is more pleasing to look at.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:18:52 AM by toolkit21 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »
current series of aquatimer is much better looking

i hvnt hv chance to see the bronze one, any bro hv one n willing to share

Offline Peixian

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 03:37:52 PM »
you have shared a very charming watch, congrats
not only the strap but also the watch dial are really in wonderful design! :thumbsup: 

Offline toolkit21

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:33:03 AM »
Thank you. It is a nice piece, especially silver dial.
Bronze piece haven't seen one in KL. But in HK got, only didn't try it on.

Its a different looking piece from the Pelagos, although they're both divers.