Author Topic: Brief Comparison Review between the Royal Oak and the Royal Oak Offshore  (Read 6803 times)

Offline G.MAC

Just got the 15400ST Blue Dial yesterday after I let go two of my pieces. Will do a detailed review later. In the meantime, I will do a brief comparison between the 15400ST Royal Oak and the Royal Oak Offshore.

Side-by-side comparison
Despite the Offshore being merely 1mm bigger than the Royal Oak, it looks more imposing. On the wrist, as far as the eye can tell, it looks bigger as well. The Offshore always feels like a 45mm when it is on the wrist. In comparison, the Royal Oak wears more like the Ceramic models from Rolex.

Thickness comparison
The Royal Oak Offshore is comparatively thicker as compared to the Royal Oak. I cannot accurately describe the difference in weight between the both as they are made from different materials but arguably, the Forged Carbon Diver feels lighter on the wrist as compared to the Steel Royal Oak. As for the wearability, the thickness of the Forged Carbon Diver means that it is more suited for casual wear. I tried countless times to slip it under the sleeves of my shirts but the fit is very tight. I do not think the Royal Oak would face this problem.

Caseback

ROO
My ROO Diver is the older variant and I believe the newer ones come with the open caseback.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx236/gmac88/Mobile%20Uploads/image2_zps47e4a4b2.jpg[/img]

RO
The RO has an open caseback for me to admire the 3120 Caliber beating inside. Incidentally, this is the same movement in my ROO as well.

Thank you all for viewing.

Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline chunkeat77

Congrats on your blue RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
Good stuffs....nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
2 best looking AP

the classic looking RO....

and the sporty Diver ROO

congrats

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
I was about to do a comparison thread between Royal oak and Royal Oak Offshore as well...
You beat me to it... hehehe
Thanks for sharing... :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
I was about to do a comparison thread between Royal oak and Royal Oak Offshore as well...
You beat me to it... hehehe
Thanks for sharing... :thumbsup:

u can buy a ROO diver then
compare 3

after that a jumbo to compare for

then a ROF compare 5

then a ROO 44mm compare 6

then terminator compare 7

Offline G.MAC

Can just do a comparison review as well. The AP ROO Chronograph is a different model and different beast as compared to the AP ROO Diver.

Offline davidtth

i wonder hows both accuracy, with open case back and non-open case back :)

Offline farhanbh100

Damn, 15400 blue dial!!!

cant wait for the review...

pls make it a very detailed one
with lotsa lotsa lotsa pic

Offline DolCeAddicT

Love the forged carbon and the yellow accent on the diver  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Erm... I shd do mine as well which long overdue...

Offline G.MAC

Nice pair :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. What is the weight like for the Ceramic Diver as compared to the Royal Oak? 15300 i presume?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
ceramic diver is almost equally as heavy as stainless steel diver. In your case the forge carbon diver shd be very light and comfy to wear. The 15300 is way lighter than the diver.

Offline Shiang

• Hello! Hello!!
Can't wait for a full review on the Royal Oak.

Offline theseira

Erm... I shd do mine as well which long overdue...

Ceramic Diver looks hot  :thumbsup:

Offline artyca

Congrats on your 15400... perfectly matches your ROO Diver  :thumbsup:

Offline farhanbh100

Re: Brief Comparison Review between the Royal Oak and the Royal Oak Offshore
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 03:38:15 PM »
Sir Mac.. itz been months so where is the full review..

quite sure lotza people waiting   ;D

Offline G.MAC

Re: Brief Comparison Review between the Royal Oak and the Royal Oak Offshore
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 08:56:17 PM »
No camera so cant snap photos of it today although I can tell you my personal feeling owning this watch from a 3 month point of view.

Positives
First and foremostly, it was running accurately to around +/- 5 seconds a day for the rough 3 months I had the watch. Was thoroughly impressed with the accuracy. Dial legibility is excellent although a bit hard to tell the time at night as the lume application on the hands isn't that generous. The case and bracelet held up to the vigours of daily beating very well with some hairlines here and there due to coming in contact with tables and knobs (no dings to date). I felt that it, being stainless steel, is much hardier than the Forged Carbon Diver (incidentally I have let this piece go for something more wearable but that is another story altogether) but maybe loses out to the Rolex Submariner. Also the watch being thinner meant I can wear it more frequently although I must admit that I prefer a higher water resistant rating on the Royal Oak as my watches do inadvertently get wet sometimes.

Negatives
However, I must say that there was a speck of dust on the dial when I got it. How it ended up there I don't know. Noticed it after slightly over a week of ownership but wasn't too fussy about it. I didn't do anything about it until around 3 weeks back when winding the watch felt a bit gritty. Always thought this was a normal thing for the AP3120 caliber as I experienced the same thing in my old AP Diver and the AP Diver Forged Carbon.

Conclusion
Since the watch was under warranty, I sent it to AP Service Centre for a service. Pointed out the speck of dust and the gritty winding feeling. Watch was serviced and now the speck is gone, and the winding is buttery smooth. Since it was under warranty, I was not charged a single cent.