Author Topic: Review : Bell & Ross BR01-97 Ltd Climb  (Read 7730 times)

Offline Kronofred

• Freshie
Review : Bell & Ross BR01-97 Ltd Climb
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
Hello all,

"Looking forward to the next!" Here's how I systematically finish my reviews ...
But what could be the next ??
An existential question, resulting in a Cornelian choice ...

Stay on a generous diameter, 43mm or beyond.
Continue on BR01 or lean on the Vintage range?
It took me a few days to decide me, motivated ultimately by a simple desire: to return to the complications present in my collection.

I always appreciated the power reserve. The oldest among us can remember my 97 Commando, and my 97 Steel Black, both now on the wrists of other fans of the brand.

Still convinced that the spirit "From the dashboard to the wrist is the very essence of Bell & Ross, I decided to purchase the BR01-97 Climb.

(Bell & Ross)

Let's take a quick detour on the origin of the design, inspired by an instrument present on all plane dashboard: the vertical speed indicator.

(Bell & Ross)

A variometer (also known as a rate of climb and descent Indicator (RCDI), rate-of-climb indicator, vertical speed indicator (VSI), or vertical velocity indicator (VVI)) is one of the flight instruments in an aircraft used to inform the pilot of the near instantaneous (rather than averaged) rate of descent or climb. It can be calibrated in knots, feet per minute (101.333 ft/min = 1 kn) or metres per second, depending on country and type of aircraft.

In powered flight the pilot makes frequent use of the VSI to ascertain that level flight is being maintained, especially during turning maneuvers. In gliding, the instrument is used almost continuously during normal flight, often with an audible output, to inform the pilot of rising or sinking air. It is usual for gliders to be equipped with more than one type of variometer. The simpler type does not need an external source of power and can therefore be relied upon to function regardless of whether a battery or power source has been fitted. The electronic type with audio needs a power source to be operative during the flight. The instrument is of little interest during launching and landing, with the exception of aerotow, where the pilot will usually want to avoid releasing in sink. (source: Wikipedia)

(Bell & Ross)

In aviation, the term climb refers both to the actual operation of increasing the altitude of an aircraft and to the logical phase of a typical flight (often called the climb phase or climbout) following takeoff and preceding the cruise, during which an increase in altitude to a predetermined level is effected (source: Wikipedia)

Another 01 you say? Yes, but still different from all BR01 "sisters" with its peculiarities that make its charm.

To "stick" closer look at the Dashboard Instrument, BR 01-97 placed in the two different hands. The hour hand keeps its sword form, but is covered with a black photoluminescent treatment (Phantom type), while the minute hand takes a new form, thinner, more rectangular. This one is colored in white about two thirds of its length, with a much more intense lume.

The second hand wants discrete and is colored on its end, which borders the index.

A Lumeshot? (poor quality, sorry but I'm really not a pro at this kind of shoot !!) :

Another significant difference, the presence of a typo already used for 01-96 Altimeter, which wants more similar to that used on the instrument panel. I must love this typo, thinner and better integrated on the dial.

The look of the reserve is another exclusive to this timepiece. The use of yellow, this other instruments range (Heading Indicator, Airspeed), strengthening its presence on the dial. The indicator is also inspired by the VSI, and is proudly topped with a "POWER" that brooks no ambiguity ... Down, and reserve is low, Up, and you have your 42 hours of power reserve.

A small date at 3 o'clock, revealing the presence of ETA2897 movement.

We found just below it, the model name, but no "Limited" label.

Yet, it is a limited edition release of 999 pieces. Proof of this is the famous nameplate on the caseback, where there are the usual indications, laser engraved.

The 46mm black PVD case (10mm thick), making it more "small" compared with a steel case or titanium case.
It weighs 179g with its rubber strap, which is reasonable for an "oversized" watch.

One never finds a review without a WristShot!

In short, a new 01 in my collection already rich in instruments. Atypical, balanced, provided with a devastating look and symbolic of the spirit BR: I could not ask for more !!

Thank you for reading me and .... "Looking forward to the next!"

;)

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Review : Bell & Ross BR01-97 Ltd Climb
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »
thanks for the great review!

the phantom hour hand is definitely a brave design !
somehow i like this, more balance when you look from far... i belief many dont

looking at this

we gonna have more BR01 coming

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
Hi Kronofred,
Thank you for sharing this very detailed and informative review. I certainly learned a lot from you on the subject of aviation variometer and how it inspired the design of the Bell & Ross BR01-97 Ltd Climb.

Congratulations on your acquisition and I believe you made an excellent choice in selecting this particular model which continues the B&R tradition of aviation inspired timepieces.

Great job!

:Cheers:

Offline Kronofred

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Danny!  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
thanks for sharing....as usual your watch review are  :thumbsup:

Offline Kronofred

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 11:05:36 PM »
thanks for sharing....as usual your watch review are  :thumbsup:
Thanks Dennis  :thumbsup:

Offline btgo1128

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:43 PM »
such a great review..
big BR fans here..
thanks for sharing the power reserve review and movement.

Offline stnet

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 10:38:37 PM »
Thanks for the review. Wasn't sure at first but after reading your review I'm going to pull the trigger on this..