Author Topic: Zenith - Pilot Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 40mm Quick Review  (Read 31579 times)

Offline swleong

Zenith - Pilot Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 40mm Quick Review
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »
INTRODUCTION

Decided to do a review on the watch I purchased lately, just a brief review, not a thorough one. My first watch review, please bear with me.

Throughout my limited years of watch collecting, I’ve collected a couple of divers and some general purpose daily watches (both automatic and quartz). And this year, the new 2013 ZENITH MONTRE D’AERONEF TYPE 20, 40MM PILOT (understood that Zenith has copyright the term ‘Pilot’ for their aviation watches, not even IWC, LACO, STOWA etc!!).

This series of watches are a tribute to Zenith’s history in their earlier day’s aviation history, typically to the ZENITH MONTRE D’AERONEF TYPE 20, 1938.

Many people, including myself know nothing about Zenith did has its glory days in aviation history. After Zenith launch its MONTRE D’AERONEF TYPE 20 in Baselworld 2012, I’ve started some interests in knowing more about this series and some histories about aviation watches.

Here are some brief history of watches in aviation history that I read from internet, compiled and ‘rojak’ a bit, hopefully still got it historically correct and I stand to be corrected:-

•   The first ‘thigh’ watch (strapped on leg) in aviation history, worn by 1 of the Wright’s brothers, manufactured by VC, circa 1903.

•   The first pilot ‘wrist watch’ in aviation history, worn by Alberto Santos Dumont, manufactured by Cartier, circa 1904, thus the iconic Cartier Santos watch now.

•   Louis Blériot, the first man that flied across the English Channel, worn a watch manufactured by Zenith, circa 1909, cemented Zenith as the French on-board aviation instrument later, thus the Montre D’Aeronef Type 20.

•   World War I, MK IV.A and MK V, pocket watch circa 1914 and 1916 used by the British pilots, also manufactured by some of the famous watch manufacturers such as Zenith, Omega, Doxa and Electa.

•   Longines, timed the entire duration when Charles Lindbergh flied from NY to Paris. Later collaborate with Philip Van Horn Weems and Charles Lindbergh to produce the famous Weems Second Setting watch circa 1929 and the Lindbergh Angle Hour watch circa 1931.

•   World War II, the famous B-Uhr watches, designed for the used on German bombers. Circa 1935 – 1941, manufactured by A. Lange & Söhne, Wempe, Lacher & Company/Durowe (Laco), Walter Storz (Stowa) and IWC.

(Reference from www.monochrome-watches.com, www.thehourlounge.com and various forums over the internet, thank you very much)

OK, enough of the history and now the watch review.

WATCH SPECIFICATION

Case Diameter: 40mm
Thickness: 11.8mm
Material: Steel
Case Back: Solid case back
Water Resistance: 10 ATM or 100 meters
Dial: Matte black
Hour Markers: Arabic numerals in Super Luminova SLN C1
Hands: Satined black ruthenium
Movement: Automatic, Elite 681, 4Hz, 50 hours power reserve
Strap: Calfskin strap with protective rubber lining and pin buckle

The packaging including an outer white cardboard, a black paper box, a wooden box, manual and warranty card, and of course the watch.

THE DESIGN
The look of the watch is amazing and un-mistakenly an aviation watch. This watch is not about complications, and thus the lack of it.

The only functions of this watch are the hours, minutes and seconds. Of course, if a date function added on it would be good, but it will spoilt the overall look of the dial IMO.

All the hands are made with black ruthenium (which I understood is more expensive than platinum!?). The matte grey finishing kind of like titanium but a bit darker matches the color of the matte black dial.

The tip of the minute hand looks slightly curved down, not sure is it due to the crystal or what, the crystal does look a bit convex shape.

The hour marker, with the generous used of ‘super-sized’ Super Luminova material, this is by far the easiest watch to read in my collection, and it ‘shines’ in the dark. The hour and minute hands are also coated with the Super Luminova material, but not the second hand.

The second sub-dial, sitting at the 9 o’clock position, slightly intruded into the 9, have a nice circular line finishing (hard to capture as not using macro lens).

The big onion shape crown oozes strong aviation DNA, which is designed to be operated by the pilot wearing glove. The crown is not screw-in type, so just pull the crown out and set the time (and the second hand will stop), then push back in.

The manual winding is smooth as what other people described as ‘purr’, comparable to my Submariner.

The Star, the essential Zenith logo, appeared on the dial and also the buckle. I especially like the Star on the dial. The Star is 3 dimensional, and with its polished finishing, it reflects lights from different angles!

The case is 40mm, the bezel part is polished finishing, and side and the lugs are brushed finishing, and the case back is the mixture of both. The 11.8mm thickness just nice to hide the watch under the cuff.

Here is the size comparison with my other watches. Rolex Submariner: 39.5mm, Longines LLD: 42mm and IWC Ingenieur: 44mm.

The individual lume shot and the group lume shot.

The case back is solid, engraved with Zenith logo and the words ‘ZENITH FLYING INSTRUMENTS’ and ‘MONTRE D’AERONEF TYPE 20’.

The side of the case has a plate screwed on, stating HB (believed is the civil aviation code for Switzerland) following by the serial number of the watch.

The lugs curved down nicely, which make it looks even smaller. I like it more compare to my LLD, which the lugs protruded like wolf fangs.

The strap is calfskin, with a nice tan colour tone and white stitching with protective rubber lining at the back (please note that I've changed the strap in some of the photos) . The changing of strap is pretty much similar to the Panerai Radiomir, which required to un-screw the lugs which attached to the watch case.

The buckle, with another 3-D Star at the front and an engraved start with a letter ‘Z’ in the middle of the star. Words ‘ACIER INOX’, which means stainless steel in French is also engraved on it.

The watch houses Zenith in-house automatic movement Elite 681, beating at 28,800 Vph, 27 jewels, and the dimension of 25.6 diameter and 3.47mm thick. There is a slight noise coming out when the rotor is winding.

Tested the power reserve with manual winding method (3 days of usage can't fully wind it!!), clocked approximately 56 hours (spec stated 50 hours) laying flat inside the drawer. I've not really 'tested' the accuracy, but it seems to be quite 'accurate' comparing with my cell phone time.

And finally, the wrist shot.

CONCLUSION
The things I like:-
•   The history;
•   The look: beautiful, simple no fuss and the strong aviation DNA;
•   The lume and the readability;
•   The power reserve;
•   The movement: in-house and relatively cheap to maintain as the lack of complications;
•   The strap: perfect matching colour, thick and coated with rubber lining (I changed to Hirsh strap with the closest matching colour);
•   The crown: so easy to use.

The things I would like the watch to have/be:-
•   Slightly bigger case, like 41mm-42mm;
•   To have a lume second hand;
•   Strap changing to be like the more conventional push pin;
•   Anti-magnetic shielding as it is an aviation watch.

Thank you for viewing. :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Zenith - Pilot Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 40mm Quick Review
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
Thank you very much for the review.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes it is correct that Zenith have trademarked the word "Pilot" for use on watches.
This could be the reason why other pilot watches do not have the "Pilot" words on the dial.

As for the HB-xxx engraved plate at the side of the case, based on my conversation with the Zenith Boutique staff in HK.
They told me for their line of Aeronef watches... 40mm, 48mm GMT, 48mm Red Baron, 48mm annual calendar, you can actually ask for any number you want. With no extra charge except for some waiting time.
Currently the numbers are generated randomly (not running like a serial number)
so if your birthday is on July 15th, you can ask for HB-715 and so on.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline swleong

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 08:31:50 PM »
Thank you very much for the review.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes it is correct that Zenith have trademarked the word "Pilot" for use on watches.
This could be the reason why other pilot watches do not have the "Pilot" words on the dial.

As for the HB-xxx engraved plate at the side of the case, based on my conversation with the Zenith Boutique staff in HK.
They told me for their line of Aeronef watches... 40mm, 48mm GMT, 48mm Red Baron, 48mm annual calendar, you can actually ask for any number you want. With no extra charge except for some waiting time.
Currently the numbers are generated randomly (not running like a serial number)
so if your birthday is on July 15th, you can ask for HB-715 and so on.

now I know what the number is for, but the way, I got the best number from 1 of the 3 earliest batch in KL. :Dancing_banana:

Offline Yikkie

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
A great review and a great addition to your wonderful collection. Wear in good health bro. Always great to know another Zenith (and LLD) enthusiast. Happy New Year!  :Cheers:

Offline swleong

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:32:27 AM »
A great review and a great addition to your wonderful collection. Wear in good health bro. Always great to know another Zenith (and LLD) enthusiast. Happy New Year!  :Cheers:

Thanks Hanz and Yikkie.

I like modern interpretation of historical pieces and Zenith just hit the right spot with this Pilot series. IMO, even better than IWC ( I still like Big Pilot though but too bad I got puny wrist )

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Can't belief this is your first watch review!

I certainly enjoy reading it!

Informative, well describe and even the photo is well illustrating your words despite it's not that sharp...

Thanks for sharing! Can feel you are a proud owner of this beautiful pilot watch!

Congrats! Do bring it offer to MWF home one fine Saturday noon for me to molest

Offline swleong

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

Informative, well describe and even the photo is well illustrating your words despite it's not that sharp...

Thanks for sharing! Can feel you are a proud owner of this beautiful pilot watch!

hi chris,  thanks a lot. will definitely improve on the photography skills next time.

so you jaga kedai every Saturday noon huh?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:48 PM »

hi chris,  thanks a lot. will definitely improve on the photography skills next time.

No lah...
Squeezing time n try to be there.... As often!
Getting to love the sofa there!

The coffee downstairs also good and reasonably price!
Hm... I need a small fridge n coffee machine

Offline swleong

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 09:06:27 PM »

No lah...
Squeezing time n try to be there.... As often!
Getting to love the sofa there!

The coffee downstairs also good and reasonably price!
Hm... I need a small fridge n coffee machine

will certainly drop by 1 weekend,  my kids love the pet shop there.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
Nice history lesson  :thumbsup:
And I'm poisoned but hope Zenith will release a bigger version.

Offline swleong

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
Nice history lesson  :thumbsup:
And I'm poisoned but hope Zenith will release a bigger version.

Thanks CK.

They do have the 48mm version, if not the big @ss 57.5mm  :o

But as the Elite movement is quite small, it should be max at  41mm/42mm IMO.

Offline ndtaan

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
Wow,you first review and you thoroughly nail it.
Thanks for the insight,enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Offline swleong

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
Wow,you first review and you thoroughly nail it.
Thanks for the insight,enjoyed it :thumbsup:

Thanks ndtaan

my second watch review will probably in another year time... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 08:01:50 PM »
Very nice design and surprised that Zenith actually produce different variant of its pilot watches instead of stuck with one size fit all watch. Have you tried their 48 mm watch?

Offline swleong

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
Very nice design and surprised that Zenith actually produce different variant of its pilot watches instead of stuck with one size fit all watch. Have you tried their 48 mm watch?

not yet try as Malaysia don't have the 48mm version the time i bought this..

as the 46mm IWC big pilot already looks silly on my small wrist, the 48mm will be unimaginable.

but for sure it looks much macho with that size on the bigger wrist..

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 12:01:22 AM »
Thx for a great review, swleong.  :thumbsup:

This pilot watch really look different from the usual IWC, Laco, etc.. It is a pretty piece on your wrist.

Mind PM me the price ?

Thx

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 08:38:04 AM »
swleong.

Thank you for sharing. Keep it up.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline swleong

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »
Thx for a great review, swleong.  :thumbsup:

This pilot watch really look different from the usual IWC, Laco, etc.. It is a pretty piece on your wrist.

Mind PM me the price ?

Thx

Thanks Alvin, I got small wrist, this is the only size in their series will look good on my wrist.  ;D

swleong.

Thank you for sharing. Keep it up.

dc

Thanks DC, will do more reviews in the coming future within my limited knowledge.   :thumbsup:

Offline Mox

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
Superb post bro !! This watch is truely love at first sight, and I just love the way it lumes in dark  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's more wrist shots from mine. Bought it from Cortina KLCC sometime in March 14 :)

Offline swleong

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
Superb post bro !! This watch is truely love at first sight, and I just love the way it lumes in dark  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's more wrist shots from mine. Bought it from Cortina KLCC sometime in March 14 :)

Congratulation Mox on your new Zenith Pilot!! It indeed is a lovely watch  :thumbsup:

I changed the strap a week after I got the watch to preserve the original strap. But the strap changing part can be a bit 'challenging' as the screws are quite small and easy to be scratched. Just bare in mind if you decided to change the strap.

Wear it in good health!

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
Great review! Zenith pilot watches has always made me think twice in pulling the trigger for an IWC pilot watch.

Good stuff going on here :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline banqk2

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
Great review and info sharing indeed. Thank you

Offline uzona

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 03:09:39 AM »
Interesting side note.  This watch, when sold in US has a steel second hand with a bright finish. Unlike the blacked out version, you guys have shown.

Offline AbbasHabshee

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 04:47:28 AM »
Have you guys seen the extra special version of the pilot model? In bronze case? I think that is beautiful! Limited production though

Offline uzona

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 06:40:53 PM »
Have heard that the "extra special" model still does not contain an in-house movement.
Anyone know?