Author Topic: Waiting Lists  (Read 23103 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: Waiting Lists
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2020, 07:30:58 PM »
The Hour Glass told me that you have to spend RM150k annually in order to get those watches, whereas the Swiss Watch Gallery said to spend RM100k on the respective brand
Spend RM 150k in order to get what kind of watches? Rolex submariner? Pepsi in steel?

The last I heard was spending 100k on other watches, not available for discount, to buy a submariner no date at retail.. else premium for rm9k
100K vs 9K, premium seem to be a bargain eh.
Doesn't make a damn sense right?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Obviously you do not fully understand the retail industry. The AD experience may not cater to your tastes so you should go to the grey dealers and pay the premium for that ONE watch.

Some people actually enjoying buying a watch every few months when stock shows up and probably from different brands and probably spend more than 100k per year so the AD will be more willing to sell the ones that are in higher demand to this collector without a premium.

The way I see it, an AD is more willing to sell a high demand watch to a collector who loves the watch than just to that first time buyer who wants the hot model that everyone else wants and will most likely sell it off when the price is right. The AD doesn't get many watches and would prefer to either satisfy that particular customer or use it to move dead stock. Making one customer happy and never seeing him make another purchase isn't good business sense.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2020, 08:20:26 PM »
The Hour Glass told me that you have to spend RM150k annually in order to get those watches, whereas the Swiss Watch Gallery said to spend RM100k on the respective brand
Spend RM 150k in order to get what kind of watches? Rolex submariner? Pepsi in steel?

The last I heard was spending 100k on other watches, not available for discount, to buy a submariner no date at retail.. else premium for rm9k
100K vs 9K, premium seem to be a bargain eh.
Doesn't make a damn sense right?

Obviously you do not fully understand the retail industry. The AD experience may not cater to your tastes so you should go to the grey dealers and pay the premium for that ONE watch.

Some people actually enjoying buying a watch every few months when stock shows up and probably from different brands and probably spend more than 100k per year so the AD will be more willing to sell the ones that are in higher demand to this collector without a premium.

The way I see it, an AD is more willing to sell a high demand watch to a collector who loves the watch than just to that first time buyer who wants the hot model that everyone else wants and will most likely sell it off when the price is right. The AD doesn't get many watches and would prefer to either satisfy that particular customer or use it to move dead stock. Making one customer happy and never seeing him make another purchase isn't good business sense.
True. I've seen a young chap with his mother, walked-out from an AD (The Garden) with a Daytona (116500LN) and a Hulk (116610LV), everything happened in front of my eyes, from their sale associate brought the watches out for them to checked, peeling the stickers, issued receipt, putting them in the paper bag and walked out.

I can't believe they can scored two extremely hot models at once. I then asked my SA about that, and she answered: their purchased record almost hit 400K, normally there will be around 1 or 2 sport models allocated, yearly.

My SA suggested me to spend a 80K first then she will try to request (from their manager) a sub for me, I refused.

So, even if you're keen to play the AD game, buying DD and DJ every month, do not expect AD will ever allocate any sub/gmt/daytona to you monthly, because a single personal can only be allocated 1 piece (hot model) PER YEAR.  

Maintaining a good relationship with SA or branch manager is pointless too. Unsure the others company but the sale associates at THG will not stay at that particular AD for long, 3 months and they will be shifted to other places (different branch/ other brands).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:23:46 PM by ethan89 »

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:30 PM »
Still does not make sense. Aren't the grey dealers retailers as well? If the grey dealers can stock stuffs the AD can't what sense is it for the AD to call itself a retailer? makes more sense to close up shop or jz change biz model distributing to grey dealers which in this context are doing a much better job as retailers.

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
If it is going to be like if u want something everybody else wants but not everyone can get type of game - open an auction house not retail. Whatever is happening now is pintu belakang and that is what is pissing a lot of people off.

Offline ethan89

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
AD certainly got everything in their safe, they filter the RIGHT customers accordingly, then allocate/sell the watch to them. That's it. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2020, 09:24:46 PM »
AD certainly got everything in their safe, they filter the RIGHT customers accordingly, then allocate/sell the watch to them. That's it.

BINGO!

But they won't have a lot of each piece obviously but it's certainly there in case a VVIP calls up and wants one immediately.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2020, 09:30:43 PM »

True. I've seen a young chap with his mother, walked-out from an AD (The Garden) with a Daytona (116500LN) and a Hulk (116610LV), everything happened in front of my eyes, from their sale associate brought the watches out for them to checked, peeling the stickers, issued receipt, putting them in the paper bag and walked out.

I can't believe they can scored two extremely hot models at once. I then asked my SA about that, and she answered: their purchased record almost hit 400K, normally there will be around 1 or 2 sport models allocated, yearly.

My SA suggested me to spend a 80K first then she will try to request (from their manager) a sub for me, I refused.

So, even if you're keen to play the AD game, buying DD and DJ every month, do not expect AD will ever allocate any sub/gmt/daytona to you monthly, because a single personal can only be allocated 1 piece (hot model) PER YEAR.  

Maintaining a good relationship with SA or branch manager is pointless too. Unsure the others company but the sale associates at THG will not stay at that particular AD for long, 3 months and they will be shifted to other places (different branch/ other brands).

Well, you've debunked your own theory of one piece per year because said young person already took 2 hot models on that one particular day.

And maintaining a relationship with the AD means your name is recorded on purchase, not by the SA only but is in the system so even if the SA leaves, you can always ask to see the manager to have another SA assigned to you. Or deal directly with the manager.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2020, 09:37:48 PM »
Still does not make sense. Aren't the grey dealers retailers as well? If the grey dealers can stock stuffs the AD can't what sense is it for the AD to call itself a retailer? makes more sense to close up shop or jz change biz model distributing to grey dealers which in this context are doing a much better job as retailers.

An AD cannot sell above RRP but the grey dealer can do whatever he likes. An AD cannot choose what is allocated to them, a grey dealer can negotiate his "bundle".

You may not like the situation but it is what it is and no amount of bitching is going to change it. There are people out there who manage to get the watches they want and only the ones who don't are pissed off...

:Cheers:

Offline echan78

• Freshie
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
Gee this is beginning to sound like transformers robot figure at toys r us or expensive cutleries and scarfs at hermes if u know what i mean. but anyway ya i agree that those willing to pay premiums are happy to own the watches they want..in fact even happier that others don't see the value in paying rm20-30k more than rrp. Just makes it more exclusive. At this point we have to admit that only the rich that gets richer that can play the game of the AD stell sports lolek experience. Well thes are not called luxury timepieces for nothing..one of the very glaring flaws of capitalism. The remedy remains the same - if people stop paying for premiums then probably all this will cease to happen. But vanity always win in the end sadly and this is how it will.continue to pan out. All is well in the end. I will end this with a link to this article if therea anyone here still wondering what the fuss is all about.Cheers! - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/on-ariels-watch-dont-spend-above-retail-price-when-buying-a-watch/

Offline ethan89

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:15 PM »

Well, you've debunked your own theory of one piece per year because said young person already took 2 hot models on that one particular day.

And maintaining a relationship with the AD means your name is recorded on purchase, not by the SA only but is in the system so even if the SA leaves, you can always ask to see the manager to have another SA assigned to you. Or deal directly with the manager.
Asked the same question and the SA replied Daytona was previous year allocation and the Hulk is recent year allocation, this story happened at January 2019. Well I believe those topdog could get more than 1 for sure, the exact 1 piece per year only applies to those who’s new to the game.

I certainly understand relationship tied to the particular AD but SA sometime play an important role and manager reserved for VVVIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline W3ll

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »

Asked the same question and the SA replied Daytona was previous year allocation and the Hulk is recent year allocation, this story happened at January 2019. Well I believe those topdog could get more than 1 for sure, the exact 1 piece per year only applies to those who’s new to the game.

I certainly understand relationship tied to the particular AD but SA sometime play an important role and manager reserved for VVVIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To make it simple, every SA just submit their customer profile to the manager and the manager will decide who to allocate it to, the more flashy your spending power are the higher the chance. 1 year 1 unit? try dropping another rm100k? not enough? drop another 100k with the AD, pretty sure they happily take it out from their safe

Offline BlaBlaBlackSheep

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »
During the days where the premium to pay is within 2 -3k range , that is acceptable , but not when it is RM10K and above kind of premium.. i have personally met someone who paid 30k premium for a pepsi and he was shock that he didn't even know he paid that much for one because he didn't know the retail of one in the first place..

Talk about paying premium, I wonder is any AD now willing to sell a piece of SS Daytona if the buyer willing to pay for premium? And before this, how many % extra will be consider a PREMIUM nowadays? If the mrsp for Panda Daytona now is Rm51350, approximately how much is the Premium?

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2021, 10:08:50 AM »
During the days where the premium to pay is within 2 -3k range , that is acceptable , but not when it is RM10K and above kind of premium.. i have personally met someone who paid 30k premium for a pepsi and he was shock that he didn't even know he paid that much for one because he didn't know the retail of one in the first place..

Talk about paying premium, I wonder is any AD now willing to sell a piece of SS Daytona if the buyer willing to pay for premium? And before this, how many % extra will be consider a PREMIUM nowadays? If the mrsp for Panda Daytona now is Rm51350, approximately how much is the Premium?

I doubt any AD's would dare to sell at a Premium anymore - as Rolex is really strict on this. The bundle route / pocket potential is the more feasible order of the day.

Offline BlaBlaBlackSheep

« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2021, 10:43:29 AM »

I doubt any AD's would dare to sell at a Premium anymore - as Rolex is really strict on this. The bundle route / pocket potential is the more feasible order of the day.
Means that only 2 ways..... Go grey OR Ad's  bundle. *sad*

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2021, 11:47:49 AM »

For most, perhaps. Anyway, IMO I think this topic has been repeated too many times, some of whom seem like 'grey' dealers themselves. To each his own I guess

Offline dpkong

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2021, 04:48:54 AM »

For most, perhaps. Anyway, IMO I think this topic has been repeated too many times, some of whom seem like 'grey' dealers themselves. To each his own I guess

With the high premiums on grey market for watches, many people hope to make some quick money…

Offline dpkong

« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2021, 05:29:01 PM »

If you're willing to pay a premium, just walk into a grey dealer and pay..

If you ask an AD this question, his first impression is you're going to sell it for profit. And if you want to start negotiating the markup means you're new to the game and clueless.

And personally, I don't think there are anymore waitlists... they just sell to the customers they like...  ;D ;D ;D

Offline BlaBlaBlackSheep

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2021, 06:26:50 PM »

If you're willing to pay a premium, just walk into a grey dealer and pay..

If you ask an AD this question, his first impression is you're going to sell it for profit. And if you want to start negotiating the markup means you're new to the game and clueless.

And personally, I don't think there are anymore waitlists... they just sell to the customers they like...  ;D ;D ;D
Actually I'm not a flipper, I just love this watch so much until my desktop, laptop cellphone's wallpaper all is Daytona Panda.

Talk about premium price, to be honest, I only can pay extra certain amount for this watch(not exceed 100k). The premium price at Grey market now is Rm170k+, this is crazy and definitely is out of my budget.

Sometime I've think of trade in my 116520 and top up some money to get 116500, but all of my friends said is not worth it.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2021, 07:22:04 PM »

Actually I'm not a flipper, I just love this watch so much until my desktop, laptop cellphone's wallpaper all is Daytona Panda.

Talk about premium price, to be honest, I only can pay extra certain amount for this watch(not exceed 100k). The premium price at Grey market now is Rm170k+, this is crazy and definitely is out of my budget.

Sometime I've think of trade in my 116520 and top up some money to get 116500, but all of my friends said is not worth it.

Since you already have a Daytona 116520, the 116500 is no different except for the ceramic bezel and slight changes to the dial. The movement is the same.

You're only obsessed with the 116500 because of the premium it commands on the market, not the watch itself... and there are plenty of very, very nice watches you can get for with a RM50k budget...

Offline sshark

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2021, 07:57:13 PM »

Since you already have a Daytona 116520, the 116500 is no different except for the ceramic bezel and slight changes to the dial. The movement is the same.

You're only obsessed with the 116500 because of the premium it commands on the market, not the watch itself... and there are plenty of very, very nice watches you can get for with a RM50k budget...

Even though the changes to the bezel and in the inner subdial rings are slight but it changes how the Daytona overall look. I would love to trade the 116520 for the newer Daytona if the difference is bearable for me

Offline Cocas

« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2022, 07:15:17 PM »
I really thought that I could get a Rolex that I wanted from AD.

i keep passing by and give my business cards to the old ah pek SA in nice suit.

my efforts are totally down the drain :Scolding: ..

on 23 dec 2021 late evening , i looking at my pathetic bank balance used to be the budget for PP and now only just barely enough for a brand new 2021 grey Rolex SS model.

i threw in the white towel and gave the grey watch dealer a call and secured the watch with a bank instant transfer and collect the watch the next day just in time before Christmas.

3235 movement is special, +/-2spd accuracy and highly anti-magnetic.

my wake from watch collecting hibernation is short. after the Christmas holiday, i continue my sleep and now i could sleep tight again... :D

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2022, 08:22:04 PM »

on 23 dec 2021 late evening , i looking at my pathetic bank balance used to be the budget for PP and now only just barely enough for a brand new 2021 grey Rolex SS model.

i threw in the white towel and gave the grey watch dealer a call and secured the watch with a bank instant transfer and collect the watch the next day just in time before Christmas.

my wake from watch collecting hibernation is short. after the Christmas holiday, i continue my sleep and now i could sleep tight again... :D

Congratulations...Sea-dweller 43?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »

Congratulations...Sea-dweller 43?

Nope. A 126710 BLNR GMT Master II .

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2022, 04:48:02 AM »
Congratulations on your new GMT2.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »
Very nice! I'm still waiting for the AD call for GMT2...LOLLLLLL :HammerHead: ;D

Awesome catch!