Author Topic: Replacing Bell & Ross Hydromax's Battery  (Read 11835 times)

Offline tummybed

Replacing Bell & Ross Hydromax's Battery
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:02:09 AM »
Dear all,

I've got a Hydromax and it's battery is dying soon.
As I understand I need to send the watch back to Bell & Ross to replace the battery and maybe the hydro oil.
I was wondering is there any other way other than sending it back? Any forummers here replaced a battery in a hydro oil filled watch?

Thank you.

Offline sshark

Re: Replacing Bell & Ross Hydromax's Battery
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:26:57 AM »
What I know was oil filled Sinn watches had to be sent back to its factory in Germany for battery replacement. If B&R has the service center here, probably they can replace the battery here here without sending it back to Switzerland. Have you checked with the local service center yet?

Offline tummybed

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
No reply yet from FJ Benjamin on this matter but I did come across some findings in certain forums that the first battery change of the Hydromax is free of charge. Yea I understand bout Sinn for their hydro range and if not mistaken the oil change alone is pretty costly.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
No reply yet from FJ Benjamin on this matter but I did come across some findings in certain forums that the first battery change of the Hydromax is free of charge. Yea I understand bout Sinn for their hydro range and if not mistaken the oil change alone is pretty costly.

There are people out there that have changed the oil and even the battery by themselves but it is not something I would attempt by myself. Do update us on the status. It would interesting to find out more about the battery change and even the oil change.

Offline tummybed

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
I just got a reply from Bell & Ross Malaysia. The watch must be sent back to France to replace the battery and hydro oil, inspect and clean the watch parts and gasket, etc. Estimated quote is RM 1890.00 and it takes 3 months.
It'll cost more if they deemed necessary to replace some parts / components.
They've yet to verify on the waiver fee on first time battery replacement.

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 02:42:19 PM »
<rant>
WTF. A battery change that cost almost RM2k. I already complained that my perpetual calendar watch battery costs twice or thrice as much as other lithium batteries. This is ridiculous even though they will check the watch overall function. And on top of it, they will charge for part they replace. This really put me off buying a liquid filled quartz watch unless i hv a commercial requirement for it which help to offset the service fee.
</rant>

Btw, how long does the battery last? I hope you have better news when they get back to you on the waiver.

Offline tummybed

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
Yea man, I was shocked when I saw the quote. And it was estimated, if the dial and other parts needs to be replaced it'll be alot more. They have a different policy compared to Sinn although the mechanism is almost the same. For Sinn UX or GSG9, if the dial turns yellow/dirty because of the oil they will replace it at no costs inclusive of servicing and battery replacement. Apparently they need a special machine just to open the back casing of the watch.

I've seen some Hydromax online where the oil leaked thru the crown when unwind and some looks half filled with oil. I'm wondering if the watch has no oil at all, will it damage the movement?

The battery is supposed to last 5-7 years but mine til now is only close to 3 years.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »
Another reason why people should factor in service cost when they buy a watch.
Which ever watch i buy i make sure to at least get a rough idea so when the time comes i am not surprised or shocked.

Let us know how it goes.

Offline sshark

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:05:44 PM »
I believe it won't hurt the movement since the oil is used to increase the depth rating of the watch instead of venting heat away from the mechanism, for example. If the watch is completely drained, probably the depth rating is ,my guess, 100m.

Yea man, I was shocked when I saw the quote. And it was estimated, if the dial and other parts needs to be replaced it'll be alot more. They have a different policy compared to Sinn although the mechanism is almost the same. For Sinn UX or GSG9, if the dial turns yellow/dirty because of the oil they will replace it at no costs inclusive of servicing and battery replacement. Apparently they need a special machine just to open the back casing of the watch.

I've seen some Hydromax online where the oil leaked thru the crown when unwind and some looks half filled with oil. I'm wondering if the watch has no oil at all, will it damage the movement?

The battery is supposed to last 5-7 years but mine til now is only close to 3 years.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
If I'm not wrong the oil is used to increase the visibility of the dial under dark & reflective angles…..
It doesn't affect the quartz circuit. Thats why this technique is used only for the Quartz models and not the mechanical movement models.
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline sshark

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 10:31:14 PM »
Yes, it increases the viewing angle hence the legibility of the dial. I believe it is not used in the mechanical watches is because oil increases resistant for the moving parts e.g. the second hand, escapement wheel, winding rotor etc.

Offline tummybed

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
That's what I thought as well. How bad will it be without the hydro oil?
But that's just like buying a Ferrari with a BMW engine inside.

Offline sshark

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:08 PM »
I was thinking along the line where Ferrari engine using non-synthetic motor oil :D