Author Topic: How to/ Where to verify whether the watches are real?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline destinyjazz

How to/ Where to verify whether the watches are real?
« on: December 22, 2023, 07:11:08 AM »
Dear sifu-sifu,

A private seller on FB offered me a Rolex Datejust, and I plan to buy it, but I am worried that the watch is not authentic. 

May I ask how you guys check before paying the cash? That guy promised the watch could be returned if I found it was not authentic, but well, things could go wrong. I am seeking advice here.

Offline AndrewTe

Re: How to/ Where to verify whether the watches are real?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »
Can ask someone to do the authentication for you. What year is that datejust? Usually I will do the authentication myself before purchasing. So far, never encounter any replica/fake before.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2023, 01:59:53 PM by AndrewTe »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 07:20:50 PM »
So many horror stories of transactions going wrong, I wouldn't even know where to start..

Other than getting robbed outright at the place of transaction...

Unless you really know how to verify the watch and have the tools for it, I suggest you pay for the services of someone who can. A watch may look completely original on the outside but the movement could be swapped.

You may feel assured by the seller for a full refund if it is not as represented but then a few days later, when you do verify there is something wrong, he could claim that you swapped out parts and trying to defraud him.

Unless you really know what you are looking at, buy from a reputable dealer or don't buy at all.

And since it is just a Datejust, it's not really that hard to get a new one from AD nowadays since the market is going bad on them...

I know this sounds so pessimistic and if I was a genuine seller with a genuine, relatively new watch, I wouldn't be too pleased to have someone opening the caseback and looking inside with no means to test waterproofness after that. But that is the reality now so that's why it's hard to offload watches unless it's to someone I know.

Beware.. there are some really good AAA replicas out there...

Offline AndrewTe

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 07:45:28 PM »
It is still hard to get Datejust from AD though. Actually depends on your luck. For watches still with warranty, you can't open the caseback for checking because it will void the warranty.

No doubt there are plenty of clones out there but there are still many flaws if you know where to look for them, however, you need a magnifier to spot them.

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2023, 11:36:09 AM »
Thank you for all the advice. I will try to get the seller to meet me at a watch repair shop that is willing to check the watch for me. :)

Offline AndrewTe

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2023, 01:38:12 PM »
Which year is the Datejust? If it is still under warranty, don't open the caseback because it will void the warranty.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »
Which year is the Datejust? If it is still under warranty, don't open the caseback because it will void the warranty.

I'm curious, how do they detect if the caseback has been opened? There are no visible warranty seals on the caseback..

Offline AndrewTe

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »
Look at the caseback edge (teeth). Unless that guy is very professional and knows the correct “dies” to open and re-close the caseback. But you need magnifier to see it. With naked eyes, it’s hard. That’s what I do usually when inspecting it for any signs of the caseback being open using magnifier.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2023, 09:29:47 PM »
As a seller, risks warranty void if open caseback for checking…rumour has it Rolex Malaysia really good detecting opened case…ur warranty is done once they see that…

As buyer , no open caseback authentication remain suspicious…

How does it work like that?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:32:48 PM by Gentlemen101 »

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 06:00:26 AM »
As a seller, risks warranty void if open caseback for checking…rumour has it Rolex Malaysia really good detecting opened case…ur warranty is done once they see that…

......by luck(unless we are pro?). It seems sad but true.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 06:46:32 AM »

Hopefully the watch repair shop you plan to use are well versed with the latest trends of replicas because the really good ones can fool many.. and if their scope of checking is just looking at the watch from the outside, I would be very doubtful. The 36mm Datejust use the 3135 movement which replica makers have cloned very well except for a few key areas. So just looking at that number on the movement is not fool-proof.

Older 162xx Datejusts are roughly RM20k and newer 1162xx are around RM30k more/less... testing your luck like that is quite rich indeed.

As most people say, buy the seller, not the item. Granted there are many good sellers out there but we just never know do we?

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 06:51:34 AM »

Hopefully the watch repair shop you plan to use are well versed with the latest trends of replicas because the really good ones can fool many.. and if their scope of checking is just looking at the watch from the outside, I would be very doubtful. The 36mm Datejust use the 3135 movement which replica makers have cloned very well except for a few key areas. So just looking at that number on the movement is not fool-proof.

Older 162xx Datejusts are roughly RM20k and newer 1162xx are around RM30k more/less... testing your luck like that is quite rich indeed.

As most people say, buy the seller, not the item. Granted there are many good sellers out there but we just never know do we?

I know it is a risk, so it depends on the seller now, no reply form him yet. By the way, I thought it would be easier to get a datejust now at the AD, but it seem like not the case, especially for first time buyer like me.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 08:02:32 AM »

I know it is a risk, so it depends on the seller now, no reply form him yet. By the way, I thought it would be easier to get a datejust now at the AD, but it seem like not the case, especially for first time buyer like me.

There are ‘highest’ clone circulating in Mal market that uses real 3135 (dismantled from datejust) and rojak AAA outer parts..that fooled many pros…this is the scariest part…, it costs them rm10k but they are selling 40-50ks..

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 08:20:15 AM »

There are ‘highest’ clone circulating in Mal market that uses real 3135 (dismantled from datejust) and rojak AAA outer parts..that fooled many pros…this is the scariest part…, it costs them rm10k but they are selling 40-50ks..

It then seems like the best solution is to wait for the AD call... :'( :'(

Offline tripleb90

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 09:57:35 AM »
The rolex Service centre no longer does authentication, but they will refuse to work on fake watches.

So if you send it in and they refuse to service it, then definitely fake. You will still need pay their upfront fee. It might take a few days to get the reply.

If your watch is an original but with 3rd party parts, they will quote you to replace all the parts to original rolex parts. If you  decline, eh will not service the watch.

An original watch serviced by rolex Service will definitely come with a warranty on the service, online verifiable through a an official warranty card.

My advice... Get the seller to send to rolex to service .

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2023, 10:02:05 AM »
side track a little, I've seen so many "we're getting the call from AD" on youtubes, some social media post...but I've never really heard or know enough people personally who actually really got the call. Who in this forum actually have gotten that lucky call?

Offline destinyjazz

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2023, 11:22:57 AM »
side track a little, I've seen so many "we're getting the call from AD" on youtubes, some social media post...but I've never really heard or know enough people personally who actually really got the call. Who in this forum actually have gotten that lucky call?

I am interested to know as well. Same as you, I read/watch so many people saying that the heat is over, and you can walk in and buy on the spot some more, but what I experienced was totally different. I can see many Rolex on sale on 2nd hand market/grey market but not from the AD.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2023, 11:52:01 AM »

I am interested to know as well. Same as you, I read/watch so many people saying that the heat is over, and you can walk in and buy on the spot some more, but what I experienced was totally different. I can see many Rolex on sale on 2nd hand market/grey market but not from the AD.

OK.. so this is going OT (off topic) a little but what the heck..

As most will have heard from grey dealers by now, Rolex prices will increase on Jan 1, 2024 which is just the day after...  and from what I hear, it's about 7%. So there is a FOMO rush at grey dealers to get what they want before the "price goes up"

But while retail may be going up, do you really think grey will go up as well? Maybe some popular sports model will but the gold ones are definitely going to be stagnant or even below retail. Steel models, which will soon be the "cheapest" Rolex, will still hold some ground but the older models will not be shooting up too much or maybe even drop when the market begins to flood with people off-loading investment pieces to cash in.

I'm not sure why the AD are still holding out from selling but maybe it's because they still have quite a queue to offer available stocks to and when those clients decline due to poor economic situation or lack of profits from offloading, then maybe your turn will be quicker.

Back in 2020, it was not hard to get pieces from the AD, but since then they have been quite hard to come by. Have since tried to register interest at other AD but never received any feedback either.

You could read those posts about how they "develop a relationship" with AD salespeople to get their desired watch if you want more ideas.

If you really must buy from grey market, it's still safer to get it from one that has a shopfront and has been in business for many years and will provide a clear purchase receipt which can be used in case the watch is fake or stolen goods.