Author Topic: Thinking of going to buy new watch & pls share your watch shopping experiences  (Read 19558 times)

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
This topic actually posted on watch-u-seek but i only later found out a Malaysian watch forum

I actually go to Sixxxxe at KLCC to have a look at breitling watches after i got my self a chronolog from breitling malaysia.

Enjoy my time there chatting to one of the sales person regarding Breitling's even tho i dint buy any watch from there other than being looked down by one of the sales person (an old auntie)

But i got to see Airwolf, Skyracer, Navitimer in person. It is very nice watch especilly the Slide rule which  i like it very much.. Who know i maybe using the slide rule in exam if i forget to bring my calculator..  But unfortunately they cost nearly RM20K.... I was wondering if i could still get my hand on with a discontinued New Old Stock Breitling B1 Superquartz since it is gone since 2006 and not to mention the possiblity of getting a good discount on it...?

Anyway is there any second hand watch shop in KL you guys would recommend me to go visit so i can get a good 2nd hand watch as move swiss watches are beyong my reach.

* i change the title because i lazy to open new thread since i also discuss abt memebers experience while they are at watch shop
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:14:18 PM by gigiplastic »

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: Thinking of going to buy new watch but....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:27:07 AM »
Hi Gigi,
If you want to have a closer look at different watches, make sure you join our crazy bunch at the next get together.

Orient produce some really great slide rule watches with automatic movements at great prices. Much much more affordable than Breitling's.

As for pre-owned watch shops, I'm familar with Time Pacific (Sungei Wang and Bangsar Shopping Centre) and Passions (Bangsar Village). These people are quite reputable.

Happy hunting.
 :Cheers:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »
Welcome gigiplastic ;)

As Danny suggested, those are some good place to visit ;)

Enjoy ;)

Scott

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:10:24 PM »
Hi Gigi,
If you want to have a closer look at different watches, make sure you join our crazy bunch at the next get together.

Orient produce some really great slide rule watches with automatic movements at great prices. Much much more affordable than Breitling's.

As for pre-owned watch shops, I'm familar with Time Pacific (Sungei Wang and Bangsar Shopping Centre) and Passions (Bangsar Village). These people are quite reputable.

Happy hunting.

Oh.. i had seen the Orient on the web.. i havent seen it in person at any local AD around in KL. I had seen the citizen Eco drive watch that also had the slide rule thing but i dont  really like it since it is powered by quartz (no offence). Thanks for the recomended place to shop for used watches. I will pay a visit when i am free (and expected to get a "you are not afford to buy" look from the sales person).

Anyway what abt the B1 New old stock is it still avalable?? i am very curious abt it..

Offline Q

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
Hi there Gigi nice to have you with us, but I must address one pertinent point you had stressed "being looked down as not being able to purchase" we are being judged and judge cursorily in many ways daily. Next time I suggest you ask her directly why do I get the feeling you are summing me up for not being able to buy and see her expression in return. cheers.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 03:27:06 PM »
Next time I suggest you ask her directly why do I get the feeling you are summing me up for not being able to buy and see her expression in return. cheers.

Cool Henry :) I support this idea :) But usually i don't bother much and best if i really buying, i will not buy from them ;)  :Cheers:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 05:42:39 PM »
i see... i said like that because i had the "small kid" look.. i said so because a person should be not be "judge the book by its cover" >:(.. you never know that any person who enter the shop is a possible customer... Anyhow that day i had a great chat with one of the salesman and looking forward to buy thing from him when the time come. :thumbsup:

@Q: i felt like doing what you had suggested but i did not buy anything  :( so i felt its better not to find trouble. :HammerHead:

Offline kwlee

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »
Hi Gigi,

Happy hunting.

Oh.. i had seen the Orient on the web.. i havent seen it in person at any local AD around in KL. I had seen the citizen Eco drive watch that also had the slide rule thing but i dont  really like it since it is powered by quartz (no offence). Thanks for the recomended place to shop for used watches. I will pay a visit when i am free (and expected to get a "you are not afford to buy" look from the sales person).

Anyway what abt the B1 New old stock is it still avalable?? i am very curious abt it..

Hi Gigi, you can try out the Orient at a watch shop(Classic Timepiece) in Tropicana City Mall. They have both the yellow and black dial of this model.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 05:49:09 PM by kwlee »

Offline Alice

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »
Hi Gigi,

Don't pay attention to the sales person. They have no right to judge you!!  Walk in like you own the shop....haha with attitute of course. So that you know....customer is always right. A good sales person will never look down on clients no matter what and how he/she dresses.

A good example is when you visit so call " private banking". A rich client can dress in short and t-shirt but mind you... this client maybe worth millions. So golden rules..."never judge a book by its cover".

I had the similar experience once... :Scolding:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 07:21:49 PM »
Oh well, I have had this experiences....walking into the Starhill boutique wearing my shorts, t-shirt and Seiko 5.
Guess what?, those sales respresentative/s did not eeven bother to give me a second look.
I put it this way, they lost a potential customer.

DC
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Lola

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Omg..

Well , I do have the same experience before. Was in StarHill as well .. Also IWX  in Pavilion.
So far, the best service for those slightly on the high end price that I went before was
C XXXXXE at Gardens Mid Valley.
They have a few good brands like Breguet, Glashutte Original and Sarpaneva.
The guy was really good and nice although I was in my jeans, tee and a Ipanema sandals.

Lola

Offline JPSP

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »
Omg..

Well , I do have the same experience before. Was in StarHill as well .. Also IWX  in Pavilion.
So far, the best service for those slightly on the high end price that I went before was
The guy was really good and nice although I was in my jeans, tee and a Ipanema sandals.

Lola

hmmm...so far my experiences with IWC and Sincere Pavilion were ok....in fact i find them pretty good...and i was shabbily dressed in my usual very torn deans and a mooks tee...hahahha...

but i must say i don't walk into any Cortina boutiques in SG because they're simply incorrigible bunch who judge a book by its cover. The sales staff can continue smsing when i was standing there for 10 mins looking at some watches of the same brand! They're banned in my list...of course, some of my mates have good experiences with them...

sometimes it's just one's luck 

Offline Lola

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Hi ! 
James
Agree also ... but my IWC was kind of bad experience.
 :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:

Offline kwlee

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 08:05:40 PM »
For me, I prefer not to have sales person standing or following me, make me feel uncomfortable ;D I like the way how US sales person do. They will 1st ask you if you need any help, then they will leave you alone until you call them. I prefer that way.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
lol... i was once got kick out of the store on when i was shopping for G-shock riseman on the pretext of "wanted to mop the floor".. >:( i end up buying that watch in Penang enjoy talking ot the boss when i was attending my bro uni convocation..

Offline lilpronaz

I guess each of us have our own dreaded experience dealing with sales reps at AD. Mine absolute no-no is Hxxx xxxxx in MY although the service by the parent company in SG is top class. It all depends on the sales reps the company hire. If they hire good sales reps, they will get our patronage.

So far, I have very good experience with boutiques and ADs in Starhill and Pavilion with the exception of Hxxx xxxxx. IWC, JLC, Rolex, GO, ML, UN and Graham are top notch.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
I guess each of us have our own dreaded experience dealing with sales reps at AD. Mine absolute no-no is Hxxx xxxxx in MY although the service by the parent company in SG is top class. It all depends on the sales reps the company hire. If they hire good sales reps, they will get our patronage.

So far, I have very good experience with boutiques and ADs in Starhill and Pavilion with the exception of Hxxx xxxxx. IWC, JLC, Rolex, GO, ML, UN and Graham are top notch.

i am curious what do you dress up when u enter those shop?? do u wear some of the big brand watch when u enter those shop? i notice when i am in Sxxxxe the sales auntie was looking at my watch...

Offline lilpronaz

It depends. I have the habit of wearing shorts and tees due to the hot weather. Still, the service isn't bad. I wear mostly Swiss. Not sure if that is a qualification for the service level.

One thing I was told by a friend in the luxury product line is that MY sales reps of luxury products are thought to observe the appearance of a potential customer. If the customer wears luxury brand, the chances of securing the sales are higher than one who's not. Possibly, the reconditioning of the sales rep approach is the reason for some crappy service. Another thing is that most of the sales reps know each other. Having mutual contact helps in getting better service.

Offline sshark

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:13 AM »
I suppose the sales guy was thinking for someone who is willing to pay almost as much as a leather shoe for a pair of sandals, he must has taste and the money :)

Omg..

Lola

Offline Poppyplants

I am about to purchase a watch, so recently I have been visiting a lot of watch boutiques. I don't wear watches when I go into these shops. From my experiences so far, the sales rep from HXXX GXXXX in Pavillion is crap. So bloody reluctant to show me watches that I'm interested in. The sales rep from Gardens is so much better. BUT, the same watch comes in a nicer leather strap in the Pavillion branch! I seriously DON'T want to spend my money there! What should I do guys? Visit other branches? There's KLCC and Lot10 left.  :-[

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Ask the Gardens branch to transfer the stock you want from other branches.  :Cheers: Good luck!

Offline Poppyplants

Oh... That is a possible option? I'll have to ask the sales rep in Gardens what he can do for me then. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
hXXX gXXXX in pavillion sXXk?
who is serving u?
i scold them for u next time :Laughing_on_floor:!

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
Hmmm Hxxx Gxxx in pavilion.  :o

I was there when i visited the JTT exhibition. Hmm i really happy with that sales rap who is serve me very good & i mange to get the catalog of Rolex & Tudor even tho i wear just a cheapo Seiko 5 watch (they DO look at your watch  >:(:thumbsup:

One of the Sales rap in one of the butik in Starhill was very surprise when i told him that the Seiko 5 watch can last long without any maintenance  :o

:thumbsdown: To the Sxxxxxx branch at Pavilion.

The giagantic multi-brand watch butik (seriously it is BIG  :o) in Starhill is really :thumbsdown: don't even bother to ask me wehther i need any help. Other than that i had a good chat with one of the sales rap who is manning the rolex/tudor counter....

Offline eric_j

• Freshie
I agree with JPSP.Sometime it is the luck.Depend on which SA you met,some ok,some don't even bother you.
I'm gonna share my opinion and experience,even though i think it is a bit biased.But that wat i got from my experience.
I bought my longines from an AD at pavillion,WXXXTXXX.The SA there,the one who serve me is a malay guy.Very nice guy,serve me from the starting till i step out from the shop,even i give that 'i-am-not-buying-anything' face.But finally still i bought from him due to the service and nice price.Same thing happen at starhill,CXXXXXA.It was also a malay guy who serve me.Other SA just lazy to look at me when i was browsing for watches.This malay guy come from far counter just to serve me.He tell me a lot and give me his opinion on buying watches.Nice guy.After that,i went to LV.Same thing,a malay girl serve my GF and me.Other SA didn't bother me.From my experience is,it's seem like the other 'races' is having a better serving customer attitude.No matter where i shop,from cheap to expensive stuff,their ppl always have better manner.For our own ppl,they will look you up and down first before deciding wanna serve you or not.
This is all my personal opinion and experience.Didn't mean to hurt or harm anyone.I don't know whether the other members agree or disagree.Pls share your comments...

Thanks....