Author Topic: Seiko Prospex Limited Edition Landmonster SRP577K  (Read 4722 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Seiko Prospex Limited Edition Landmonster SRP577K
« on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:34 AM »
Seiko recently launched a limited edition Prospex Landmonster for the global market. Like most Landmonsters, it comes with a compass bezel with bi-directional movement. The only complication is a unique date window that shows five continuous dates instead of one. In fact, I must say that it got its design cues similar from an aircraft's instrument panel. Pity as Bell & Ross beat them to it already. Now Seiko will have to live with the speculation that they copied Bell & Ross.

At this point, I will like to discuss about the 'Limited Edition' concept that Seiko useon this watch. Unlike typical limited edition watch which has a numbering convention similar to "Number X of XXXX" or "1 of XXX", Seiko chose to have it unnumbered. As I am writing this review, I still do not know the exact number that Seiko have earmarked for production for this particular model.

In recent times, Seiko have been doing this kinds of product offering very regularly. Most recently, in the first quarter of this year, Seiko released the Limited Edition Seiko 5 SRP507 and SRP509. I believe Seiko wants to create a strong collectors market in a similar way Casio has been able to achieve with its G-Shock range. Although Casio does not classify theirs as 'limited edition' pieces, by virtue of the short production run and quick turnaround in replacement models, a strong fan base and the relatively cheap price points of the watch itself creates sufficient supply and demand in the secondary market. This has the tendency of elevating the brand franchise to a higher level.

This watch has a diameter of 44 mm wide excluding crown. Its thickness is 12 mm while its lug width is 22 mm. The case design is similar to the 'Monster' series with the screw down crown located at the four o'clock position. The bezel is recessed in a protective slipway on the top half as well as the bottom half of the watch face.

This three-handed watch comes with a compass function as well as a unique date window. The bezel is bi-directional and does not 'click' in place. Materials used  are stainless steel for the casing and 'Hardlex' crystal glass (a synthetic proprietary sapphire crystal equivalent made by Seiko) for the front as well as the display case-back.

The hour markers are represented by minute numerals 05,10,… instead of the usual 1,2,3 or straight markers. A secondary scale is provided in increments of 0.2 minutes/seconds and printed on the sloping chapter ring. It is the hour markers on the chapter ring as well as the broad hour and minutes hands that are fully painted with LumiBrite, a proprietary luminous paint by Seiko. The unique seconds hand has an small aircraft motive close to the tip and together are the only part that is painted with LumiBrite. The rest of the seconds hand is painted black.

The date window on this watch is unique for Seiko. It shows dates for 5 days continuously with the warning yellow strips on its left. This design gives an illusion that you are looking at an analogue aircraft instrument. Although some would argue Bell & Ross started the aircraft instrument panel craze, I like Seiko's bold move to provide something different in its product offering.

Although the huge date window took out two set of Arabic numerals, it does not impact the illuminated markers. In the dark, the dial still looks complete with all markers and the hands lighted up.

The points of the compass on the bezel has been painted black in recesses cut into metal. This gives a good 3D effect on the bezel.

Half way down the crown stalk, Seiko has cut a singular groove and painted it black. Although not written anywhere, I believe Seiko adopted the same visual warning cues used by Orient for its M-Force diving models. If the line is beyond the protective slipway or the small crown guard, it implies that the crown has not been properly screwed down.

Replacement straps should be in the 22 mm category. Its good that the lugs have straight through pinholes to ease strap replacement. In the photo below, you can see the protection provided by the protective slipway as well as the small crown guard. Note the crown head is devoid of any markings.

This one is powered by the 4R35 series movement i.e. comes with a date function only. It is an automatic movement with handwind features. It also has a second hand stop (hacking) function. The movement operates in the 21,600 bph or 5 beats per second range and has 23 jewels. Power reserve in the main springs is approximately 40 hours.

The standard leather strap provided is brown, double layered with white stitching at the peripheral. Not as nice as some of the after market straps that you can find nowadays. Nevertheless, adequate for the job.

The special buckle provided with the Seiko brand name stamped on it is nice. I like the large flaring design that gives it some presence on the wrist.

This is a comfortable watch. Although the leather appears stiff at first, with continuous usage, the leather will become malleable and soft.

I have used this watch with formal wear and it is not an issue. The combination of colours on the watch gives it a 'brooding'-like look that grows on you.

Seiko watches are getting expensive. Since I first started collecting watches back in 2010, the typical price of a standard Seiko monster or equivalent was about the RM800 range. Now, similar models are set at a price point RM400 more than where it used to be. The inevitable effect of inflation.

Overall, I am pleased with this watch. I do own a couple of monsters, namely the Seiko SNM035 Land Monster and the Seiko SKX779K1 Black Monster. Compared to these two monsters the Prospex version appears to be more refine. The dial finishing is more intricate but lacking the bright illumination that has been one of the Monster's calling cards. Some may see no value to the compass function but who cares, it looks nice with the alpha numeric lettering and numbers all around the bezel.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:50:04 AM by meoramri »
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline shamtv2555

Re: Seiko Prospex Limited Edition Landmonster SRP577K
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »
nice review bro... i will consider 1 soon hahha

Offline Ian Fleming

• Freshie
  • "Don't Play The Fool" - The Late Sir Karpal Singh
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
Thanks for the write up Meoramri  :thumbsup:

Yep indeed the instruments are similar to aviation instruments.

This calls for a Christmas present from me to myself and I.

This piece fetches a vr economical price too.  ;D

Offline craftvn

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »
Beautiful