Author Topic: New Rolex Submariner  (Read 60614 times)

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Re: New Rolex Submariner
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
I doubt it will be rm16k...
I think should be around at least rm18k.....
Jacky Wong

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »
I doubt it will be rm16k...
I think should be around at least rm18k.....
Official prices have them at 5500euro.
Some say too close to the sub date ceramic.
How will the public take this? Only time will tell.
Old ones still on the ad window are going for rm19300 no discount.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »
Submariner is one of the classic of rollie. Dont think they will kill it. Btw, how much is the list price now?
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 05:42:37 AM »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 07:36:51 AM »
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/3/27/in-depth-the-new-rolex-submariner-no-date-reference-114060-l.html
List price $7100
Grab the remaining 14060m while stock last.

Interesting read but still don't understand why people still refers to the watch as no date sub. There is Submariner and Submariner Date.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2012/3/27/in-depth-the-new-rolex-submariner-no-date-reference-114060-l.html
List price $7100

Interesting read but still don't understand why people still refers to the watch as no date sub. There is Submariner and Submariner Date.

Rolex is uncle watch.... So uncle scare confuse, so better say sub no date
Bcoz if he say Rolex sub, ppl sure ask ur sub got date or not?
If he say sub, ppl will ask what u mean? Sub sub water? Hum sub? Hambalang sub? Hisap? ...

So safe way is to call at least sub no date if can say rolek sub no date

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:48 PM »
List price $7100

If he say sub, ppl will ask what u mean? Sub sub water? Hum sub? Hambalang sub? Hisap? ...

Thats the problem. You (the blog) need to play your part and educate and explain rather then follow the crowd.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:12:53 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline sshark

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
It sounded so wrong ;)

List price $7100

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »
Ok ok, lets educate the uncle who buy rolek

So v call

Rolex New submariner

( the new iPad, not iPad 3...)

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 08:27:04 AM »

Thats the problem. You (the blog) need to play your part and educate and explain rather then follow the crowd.
[/quote]

The Submariner was introduced at the Basel Fair 1954 (model 6204 I think) and it was not until 1965 that the first Sumariner appeared with the date complication. As we all know both models have the word "Submariner" printed on them. The original Submariner (6200, 6500, 6300, 5513, 5512, 14060M series) all have the words "Oyster Perpetual" printed below the word "Rolex". The dated version (1680, 16800...) all says "Oyster Perpetual Date" since introduction in 1965. My memory may be rusty, so members must read with a generous pinch of salt.

But most people (IMHO) who buy the Submariner have no interest whatsoever in its long history. They only see one with a date window which says "oyster perpetual date" and a thinner version without date window which says "oyster perpetual". The dated version is more expensive (hence more opportunity to boast, especially if you are in urban jungle Singapore or Hong Kong), more useful for the office desk-bound divers (when they are actually working and not lurking around the watch fora in the Internet) and probably appeared in more Rolex advertisements. Hence, the name submariner became almost synonymous with the dated version (and certainly not the rookie submariners of the RMN and probably the Singapore navy also who seldom take their pristine submarines below water). This of course gave rise to the misnomer "Submariner" and "ND-Submariner". Just my take, of course, feel free to disagree.     

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
My opinion is that it all started with for sale threads...
Alot of forums listed submariners for sale, and most probably some without pictures and without complete listing of model numbers and all.
And I am guessing the most question they get is "The Sub you offering is date or no-date?"
Sooner or later, ppl tend to list the watch as "Submariner No Date for sale"
Which is what I see all the time... even in overseas forums.

I agree with Hobbs though... blogs should play their part rather than add to the confusion.
I am sure those who buy the Sub or Sub Date does not care what the watch is really called.
It's simply a "Rolex"
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline IWCking

« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 04:46:10 PM »
Endiku, no means to disrespect whatsoever. One will actually feel a bit 'kuku' when wearing submariner in Singapore or Hong Kong cos they are everywhere. Incidentally, a lot of sport shoes sale persons in Hong kong love submariner, explorer or GMT 2. Just to share two of my personal encounters with you, i was at one C branded shop in central hk once. The sale attendant spoted my green submariner and cant wait to show me her green submariner in return and told me thats a good buy. :o

Then, there was once i was inside a minibus and i spoted i was surrounded by 6-7 submariners and explorers. well, rollie is probably slightly less common in msia. But there are just everywhere in Hk/spore. I am not exargerating when i say wearing a submariner in hk is just like wearing a seiko in kl.

Offline sshark

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
I can't say much about sub in hk coz i am not there. i doubt sub is as common in sg. at least not everywhere up to the point where 6 to 7 ppl wearing sub in a bus. also, r they real? :)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18:48 PM »
with the median income, currency value, small sized nation of HK, SG and JP. it's not uncommon for Rolexes or infact luxury items to be everywhere.

Since big ticket items like cost of houses and car ownership is too high, ppl tend to have more expendable income to spend on this small luxury items.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
Endiku, no means to disrespect whatsoever. One will actually feel a bit 'kuku' when wearing submariner in Singapore or Hong Kong cos they are everywhere. Incidentally, a lot of sport shoes sale persons in Hong kong love submariner, explorer or GMT 2. Just to share two of my personal encounters with you, i was at one C branded shop in central hk once. The sale attendant spoted my green submariner and cant wait to show me her green submariner in return and told me thats a good buy. :o

Then, there was once i was inside a minibus and i spoted i was surrounded by 6-7 submariners and explorers. well, rollie is probably slightly less common in msia. But there are just everywhere in Hk/spore. I am not exargerating when i say wearing a submariner in hk is just like wearing a seiko in kl.
That's true.
I was in HK last year and ppl on the MRT are all wearing subs or gmtiic... lv and gucci bags are aplenty as well.
Reason is I think they dun spend so much on other things like houses and renovations as houses are really small there...
And not everyone owns and maintain a car as well.
Being Malaysians, we tend to focus more on our homes and only spend the most part of our disposable incomes on homes and family.
Renovations, a new furniture like a new shelf or cabinets of upgrading some part of the house... I dun think HKers do those... their homes is as small as they come and since there is no need to spend there, then they spend on their luxury belongings...

There is a reason why HK is Rolex's 2nd biggest market.
And LVs 2nd biggest as well...

And like terrence said, with their median income, a Rolex is like a month or two pay, meanwhile for average Malaysians, it's more like a year's pay.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:58:08 PM by hanz079 »

Offline IWCking

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
Yeah, not to mention 'face saving' which is very important for most hong kongers. ;D

They look quite real to me from a distant. But i reckon some of them bought it pre owned too. Some even bought it by installment.

The most fancy watch i ever spotted in KL was a Breguet La tradition by an uncle in his 50s. Other than that, I hardly notice people wearing fancy watches in KL.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 07:40:20 AM »
Yeah, not to mention 'face saving' which is very important for most hong kongers. ;D

They look quite real to me from a distant. But i reckon some of them bought it pre owned too. Some even bought it by installment.

The most fancy watch i ever spotted in KL was a Breguet La tradition by an uncle in his 50s. Other than that, I hardly notice people wearing fancy watches in KL.

bcoz u never join MWF GTG

Offline Spider boy

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »

That's true.
I was in HK last year and ppl on the MRT are all wearing subs or gmtiic... lv and gucci bags are aplenty as well.

Reason is I think they dun spend so much on other things like houses and renovations as houses are really small there...
And not everyone owns and maintain a car as well.
Being Malaysians, we tend to focus more on our homes and only spend the most part of our disposable incomes on homes and family.
Renovations, a new furniture like a new shelf or cabinets of upgrading some part of the house... I dun think HKers do those... their homes is as small as they come and since there is no need to spend there, then they spend on their luxury belongings...

There is a reason why HK is Rolex's 2nd biggest market.
And LVs 2nd biggest as well...

And like terrence said, with their median income, a Rolex is like a month or two pay, meanwhile for average Malaysians, it's more like a year's pay.

+ 1     that is very true, therefore rolex are considerably more to them . A fresh  graduate professional say an engineer get pays like around 20k  hkd  where as in malaysia its around 2k .. lol.. so maths does not lie.  But instead a renovation and not to mention owning a house is so much dearer in hk ..and don't forget that most malaysian own cars were Hongkies take the public transport. cause most hongkies can't afford to own a vehicle.  They will spend their disposable income they can afford say nice watch, clothes , bags and other goodies.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »
The discussion is bit out of topic lately.
Let's focus on the title of this thread.
 :Cheers:

Offline sshark

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
I somewhat commented too quickly. Today I hopped on a MRT and saw 2 rolexes right in front of me, a deep sea and a previous version of gmt 2c which was worn by an auntie. I think most of the time I missed the rush hours and ride the train with a different crowd.

Today could be 1 off thing where I am "served" with rollies :)

Offline sshark

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 08:43:36 AM »
The discussion is bit out of topic lately.
Let's focus on the title of this thread.
 :Cheers:

Most of the time the discussions here off on a tangent with the topics  ;)

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »

You saw me??  ;D

Why didn't you come and say "Hi" to your uncle Godzillaz?  :Dancing_banana:

Offline IWCking

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Thats you??? uncle with curly hair??? U actually grabbed my Pam 104 when I told the agent at S, as I wanna think about it. 10 minutes later when i decided wanna grab that sale told me the uncle grabbed it. Sigh... But i got another one eventually a month later.  :thumbsup:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Thats you??? uncle with curly hair??? U actually grabbed my Pam 104 when I told the agent at S, as I wanna think about it. 10 minutes later when i decided wanna grab that sale told me the uncle grabbed it. Sigh... But i got another one eventually a month later.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, Uncle Godzillaz move fast  :Dancing_banana:

Sold the 104 to a auntie and bought a replica instead. Uncle eyes no good can't tell the difference between the fake n original so buy cheaper one la. Save money what.  :Cheers:

Offline IWCking

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 03:08:59 PM »
hahahahaha. Well, i wont buy replica cos they ain't cheap and they spoiled easily.

Anyway, sorry for out of topic.  I have a submariner and still keeping it. Well, what i will say is submariner is a very reliable piece. If u r keen, better grab it soon cos the price just keep moving up.