Author Topic: Zenith servicing cost...  (Read 12215 times)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Zenith servicing cost...
« on: July 10, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
was surfing Zenith's site and looking through their current line up. Stumbled into their serving fees page.

quite impressed that they are very upfront with the prices and published the respective cost in each country.

link to their servicing cost in Malaysia.

good to know, if you're planning to pick one up

http://www.zenith-watches.com/en/#/customer-service/service-fees/3
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Zenith servicing cost...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
There goes rm2100 for my service when the time comes....  :P
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 01:03:52 PM »
I am wondering why they are the only manufacturer that i know of that publishes their prices in their site.

maybe it;s because of the inhouse nature of the calibres and they are so c8cksure that no one else can service a zenith movement better than themselves?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 02:23:29 PM »

Not really, the usual quote applies:

'The prices of ZENITH services are provided for information purposes only. The total cost of the service will depend on the general condition of the watch and can only be determined after the watch has been analysed by a ZENITH watchmaker and an estimate has been established.'

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »

Not really, the usual quote applies:

'The prices of ZENITH services are provided for information purposes only. The total cost of the service will depend on the general condition of the watch and can only be determined after the watch has been analysed by a ZENITH watchmaker and an estimate has been established.'
Which normally leads me to believe that is will cost more than rm2100...  :Laughing_on_floor:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:54:16 PM »
Actually Patek also publish their prices online in their website.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
As does Omega.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 08:34:16 PM »
haahaha guess i am very suaku in this area.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
OT a bit.

Opinions and views needed.

Thinking about consolidating and trading off my Tudor and Sinn for either a Zenith Rainbow Flyback or Breguet XX. the prices differences are not that great.

Which one would you choose and in a long run better/easier/robust in their up keeping?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »
OT a bit.

Opinions and views needed.

Thinking about consolidating and trading off my Tudor and Sinn for either a Zenith Rainbow Flyback or Breguet XX. the prices differences are not that great.

Which one would you choose and in a long run better/easier/robust in their up keeping?

Which model of the Rainbow Flyback are you getting?

Also which of the Breguet Type XX are you looking at? Aeronavale or Transatlantique?

Both the El Primero Cal. 405 and the Breguet 582 (or 582Q date) are about the same in terms of reliability and robustness. However only the Cal. 405 can time to 1/10 sec, is that important to you? The power reserve of the Zenith is also longer than the Breguet, 55 hours vs 40 hours.

Just to note that the later model Rainbow are fitted with the Cal. 405Z with the modified escapement and is considered rarer. The difference is shown below.

Also if I am not mistaken the Cal. 405 is of the column wheel design and is considered by many chronograph purist as the ultimate design. However the 582 shares the same design concept as the Omega 861 (moon watch movement) and we all 'know' that it is robust since it's dad went to the moon and passed all the test (by NASA). But that does not imply that the Breguet movement is better.  ;D

Ok before we jump the gun, yes Rolex did send a watch in for testing and it could have been the Daytona (since NASA required chronograph watches), but Daytona of those days were fitted with the Valjoux movement. And the movement did not fail but the hands failed in the humidity test. It got bent at high temp and got stuck. So no reflection on the Zenith powered Daytona (1991 - 2000?).

The Breguet XX is still in production while the Zenith has been discontinued and is hard to find and rather popular. I like both the watches and would love to have both, perhaps one day. In reality I just love the El Primero movement (maybe I should get some cuff-links...) but perhaps not the Rainbow in itself. Well the all black version is not too bad. The best would be to get the El Primero in a Panerai case, i.e. PAM00074, but I digress.

If you are looking at the Breguet name in the Type XX, I don't think the Type XX represent it well. The Type XX was introduced in the low period of Breguet's history and is the cheapest way to enter into the world of Breguet watches. Early Type XX had many issues and it help to 'kill' the Breguet name. However I do like the watch and it's (implied) history and links to the Type 20 (note not Type XX). I think it is a beautiful watch and like it a lot. Given a choice between the Zenith and the Breguet, I will still go Breguet first. But that is just me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:37:14 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »
Yeah it's a cross between the "mardi gras" Rainbow Flyback and XX Aeronavale or Transatlantique (no preference, but since the TA is available, i'll take that)

heard about the investor group down period of Breguet. So how's the build of your XX? Incidentally found the EL Rainbow in a pre-owned shop in HK and the XX in the "usual" pre-owned in TPE. both prices looks tempting, thus the dilemma. the Zenith powered Daytona was sold so now looking for a more "economical" but jsut as iconic alternative.

BTW Ivan, free on Thurs 3rd Aug? would be down in TPE.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »
Yeah it's a cross between the "mardi gras" Rainbow Flyback and XX Aeronavale or Transatlantique (no preference, but since the TA is available, i'll take that)

heard about the investor group down period of Breguet. So how's the build of your XX? Incidentally found the EL Rainbow in a pre-owned shop in HK and the XX in the "usual" pre-owned in TPE. both prices looks tempting, thus the dilemma. the Zenith powered Daytona was sold so now looking for a more "economical" but jsut as iconic alternative.

BTW Ivan, free on Thurs 3rd Aug? would be down in TPE.

Added some technical drawings on the cal. 405z in case you missed it on the earlier post.

I like the Type XX Transatlantique. The build quality on mine is pretty good as it is a later model (2005) by Manufacture Breguet  ;) I am more happy now that I have it on the leather strap from the LE Type XX (because the people in Taiwan prefer croco, think it is more high class, so the boutique changed the strap and sold me the leather one). The watch is running fine, way within COSC spec. It is a nice watch. To be honest, I think the build quality is a tad better as compared to the Zenith (I have played with both).

The one being sold at the 'usual' TPE store has a different type font on the hour markers as compared to mine. Don't know which is newer or which is older. Mine has the 'tail' on the numbers (my no. 1 looks like 'I'). The price is good with the metal bracelet. I got mine slightly cheaper but with leather strap (but unused and still unregistered with Breguet), bought and kept in safe.

I will be in Singapore on August 3.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:57:49 PM by TheHobbit »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 01:09:36 AM »
hmmm...does the "usual" shop accept trades? thinking about bringing in my watches just in case....

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 05:38:10 AM »
hmmm...does the "usual" shop accept trades? thinking about bringing in my watches just in case....

Yes they do, but don't know if the trade value is good or not.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 06:48:55 AM »
I think if you are looking at both used the Zenith would be much cheaper.
But size wise the Zenith is smaller as well.

But i would still choose the Zenith.