Author Topic: How often do you adjust your watch?  (Read 11136 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: How often do you adjust your watch?
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 10:51:24 PM »
Sometimes I don't adjust them at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline dpkong

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Funny how someone joins, bumps up a few really old posts to make the minimum post count to sell a watch and disappear and we are all here posting...

:Confused:

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Funny how someone joins, bumps up a few really old posts to make the minimum post count to sell a watch and disappear and we are all here posting...

Funny indeed,maybe there's a imaginary gun pointing at those who are posting to force them to comment...u must have alot of time to follow that 'someone' progress haha or maybe u are a funny guy  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:57:32 PM by SKy Lim »

Offline keanewoon

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »
i have my share of guilt in bumping up my post count although i have nothing to sell at this point in time. but someone really make it too obvious....... well, just my 2 cents.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »

Funny indeed,maybe there's a imaginary gun pointing at those who are posting to force them to comment...u must have alot of time to follow that 'someone' progress haha or maybe u are a funny guy  :Laughing_on_floor:

Not much needed to "follow" as u put it.
As we visit MWF once in a couple of days.
When we login and click on "all unread topics" and what do u know?
A long list of old threads get replied to and naturally we will just click and read if anything is interesting only to find one liners responses to old topics and once they reach the required post count, on they go to the classifieds and start selling their stuff.
No meaningful contributions after that.
Not to point a gun at anybody but these things happen too often and I don't blame ppl for jumping into conclusions sometimes.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Narco

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
Im still on a hunt. Will perhaps visit MWF till the hunting season is over.

Now getting back to the topic, never unless it stop.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 03:32:47 PM »
About once or twice a month.. The Explorer II takes a bit of patience to adjust if not worn for a few days, as I put the GMT hand to London time.

Offline SKy Lim

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 05:37:14 PM »
] I see,i didn't know we are 'required' to comment on new threads only,new rules huh...it seems like quite a number of ppl replied to old threads,maybe they need to contribute more,yeah i agree with u..but what to do,some ppl like to make conclusions and judge ppl wihout knowing much,its human nature..alright now lets just get back to watches,isn't it a watch forum instead of gossip forum? :Cheers:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:40:35 PM by SKy Lim »

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 04:49:12 PM »
With both my explorer II and Sub, I don't adjust them at all. Rotate daily and self regulate with position during night time.  At least with Rolex, it is possible to have zero variance through this method.  It will  be even easier if you wear the watch everyday.

Offline dann1101

• Freshie
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:01 PM »
Once a week

Offline Schiit

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:53 AM »
surprisingly my hamilton jazzmaster only gained 5 secs in a month! No need for adjustments :)

Offline Nickmax

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2016, 09:11:51 AM »
Wah, this is an eye-opener for me who just got my very 1st self-winding (automatic) watch. all the while I have been using quartz.
I did not know that the watch have to be adjusted quite frequently. luckily I got a watch without the date.

This is really very informative to me

Offline ywl23n

• Freshie
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:46 PM »
I dont adjust at all.  I rotate my watches every fortnight and they usually are still ok at the time they are switched out

Offline Mikey C.

• Freshie
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2016, 04:27:23 PM »
once a month

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Most of the time, too many watches to keep them running.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Sky 007

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2016, 05:04:10 PM »
I have rolex and Omega, they are working well + - 1 second perday, seldom do adjustment. But I like to adjust and play with the day as well like move to a new month.  :Cheers:

Offline koyote73

• Freshie
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2016, 05:42:18 PM »
Hi all. Since everyone was talking about watch adjustments, these are just my two cents worth.

The one thing I've learnt about autos is that the date should not be adjusted when the movement is between 8pm and 2am as the cogs/cams/gears are engaged to move the date ring during those hours and could be damage by reversing their progression.

Also, another thing I practice is never adjusting the hands anti-clockwise as  the date wheel can begin to engage a couple of hours before midnight, and may not completely disengage until a couple of hours after midnight. Its only throughout those hours that you want to avoid turning the time backwards, since it will basically try to force the date back, which can damage the mechanism. Changing the time forward is okay at any time, and backward is okay any time outside of the specified time frame.

Offline koyote73

• Freshie
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2016, 06:31:27 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention about a very eye-opening post I read in Chronocentric about our incessant preoccupation with seconds lost or gained !

'An expensive watch is more accurate, right?

If this is your first time buying an expensive wristwatch, there is one very important fact you need to know in advance. A $25 Timex or Casio digital watch will keep time just as well as, and possibly better than, a $20,000 solid gold mechanical Omega, Rolex, or other very fine watch.

If that last statement surprised you, read the rest of this section carefully.

All watches tend to gain or lose a few seconds over a period of time. These are small mechanical or electro-mechanical devices that are counting out 86,400 seconds per day. Even if a watch is 99.9% accurate, it will still be off by a minute and a half in only 24 hours! So even a mediocre wristwatch has to be well over 99.9% accurate to even begin to be useful on an ongoing basis.

Check out the attached PDF file for Watch Accuracy Expectations

Ultimately, if you are living so close to the edge that having your watch off perfect time by less than a minute bothers you or otherwise throws your life into disarray, you probably need less caffeine and a vacation!'

Offline dpkong

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:57 PM »

If they have stopped before you put it on, then adjust it. Now really thinking no date are better.

Offline watchdiver

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 05:04:19 AM »
I adjust mine about once every 5-8 weeks which is when the watch is off by a few minutes.

@koyote73: The rule about adjusting date only applies to certain movements like the ETA 2824 and Valjoux 7750 (and probably many other movements).  To be safe I would not change my date between 8pm and 3am on any watch unless I knew it was safe for the movement.  I think the most modern Rolex movements use a different engagement of date and do not have this problem (do a bit of research on your own movement to find out for sure).  Here's a quote from WatchUSeek:

(modern) Rolex uses a cam and lever for the date change.. Nothing is engaged, but when the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a spring loaded lever that slaps the date over one day.. thus, no gears to break..

Offline Cocas

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Everyday. Because i got 28 watches to rotate. I don't have winder too.