Author Topic: Some information about old LEONIDAS Silver Pocket Watch  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Energie

Some information about old LEONIDAS Silver Pocket Watch
« on: June 10, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
Hello,
I found this Leonidas watch, it has been on my grandfather, but I don't know anything about it.
It will be great and very nice if someone know something about this model pocket watch, like year of
production ( I think that is around 1915 ), some history and if I decide to sell it what will be the guide price.
Please, check the picture which I made.
There are marking on the cover which are: "ST" , "0.800". And "Leonidas" , "M" on the mechanism.
From the behind of the watch has very interesting relief image, which
I think represents something from the 1916 Summer Olympics in Berlin.
Thanks in advance. Best Regards.  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 04:11:54 PM by Energie »

Offline davidtth

Re: Some information about old LEONIDAS Silver Pocket Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
looks great, i'm not into vintage at all, but this is def a keeper  :thumbsup:

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
From my understanding, Leonidas used to make a lot of pocket watches for the military during the world wars era and before. Hmm, could this be a military issue? Could it have been re-cased? Any thoughts from anyone? Interested to find out more about this too. Haha! :P

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:06:43 AM »
Yes, Leonidas is a fairy popular and good quality watch maker and had produced pocket and wrist watches, for civilian and military. They also made stopwatch/chronograph. They were bought by Heuer (Conformed into TAG Heuer we know today) in the 60's. An all original and well maintained piece will fetch thousands today.

However, in my opinion, keep this watch and never sell it, because it belongs to your grandfather. For that sole reason, you should cherish it for the rest of your life, together with all the memory.  ;)

Offline Derris

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 04:14:54 PM »
Hi,
Pocket watches is a rarity in Asian market. Leonidas was a Swiss brand, since absorbed by bigger rivals. Your pocket watch worth roughly MYR400, give and take, but since it is a heirloom, keep it, get it serviced and oiled. ST0.800 stands for 80% silver for the cover, used a proper silverware polish to lightly polish it, it will bring it back to its old glory. Oil the hinges. Stored it in a cool dry place ,wrapped in ziplock. With time, working onewill be rare still, they will appreciate in value.

Take it out every 3 months to give it a wind, a full wind last 18 hours or so. Careful about winding, wind it slowly and with care. It is a 80-90 years item. Vintage watches each has it's own characters. Timed it, it should have a deviation of 5 minutes each day.
Any Questions, will be glad to help.

Derris

Offline Derris

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »
Hi,
Sorry regarding the movement, it is medium grade movement, gold-plated probably, gold was cheap in the old days, it is a 2 arms movenment, pin lever. Look under the balance wheel to look for a inscription, you can get some Infos regarding the maker.
Cheers
Derris