Author Topic: apple macbook air 11 "  (Read 7917 times)

Offline spacewalker

apple macbook air 11 "
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:11 PM »
Hi. just planning to buy mcbook air 11"

Is there anybody here have the experience with that laptop, the pros -cons the battery and reliability. I never use the apple laptop before.

Offline CKL1213

Re: apple macbook air 11 "
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
you don't have to worry about "the blue screen of death" anymore

Offline dpkong

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:25:20 PM »
I've not seen the BSOD with Windows 7 either...

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
instead you will get this:

however I only had it once in 3 years usage.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:44:00 AM »
I started with Windows desktop/notebooks since Intel 286 days i.e. early 1990's.
Have owned at least 3 Windows notebooks and 2 desktops since then. Several of them have crashed and burned except the last one, a Toshiba still surviving today.

Switched to the first MacBook Pro when it first came out.
Until now still running efficiently, never had any problem except 1 HDD replacement, boot up and shutdown in <10 seconds, not a single crash or auto shutdown during all this time.
An Apple convert now using MacBook, i-pad, i-phone which has seamless compatibility.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Will never go back to Windows for personal use.
Unfortunately my company still uses Windows..   :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

My other half is an IT Mgr in a MNC. Hates Windows as well. She loves Linux
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:28:45 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 08:54:40 AM »
no one loves windows

remember to get the new MBA instead the old one since new MBA will only available in Msia around july time

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
I using MacBook 13'' (White).. been using it for 4years+.. So far still in good condition..

Never get the power reset button error..

but i do occasionally get the BSOD~  :HammerHead:  hehe but thats because of windows which i made an option at boot.. ;D
will make it a single boot later... i'm waiting for the release of OSX Maverick.. if its good and compatible for me to upgrade i will..

for a satisfying purchase.. wait for latest release of macbook with the latest OSX...
just my 2cent~

:Cheers:

"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »

If Windows could restrict the selection of software you can install on your computer like Apple does, I doubt you will see any crash or BSOD.

Not that I'm a big fan of Windows as I actually prefer Debian GNU/Linux for personal use.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »
hi. so many pros on this topic  :thumbsup:. I do have concern about the battery longevity since we cannot take off the battery in macbook air isn't it? With my acer, I could take the battery off, plug in and I can use it all day long.

I've heard that battery longevity reduce if you keep using the laptop while plug in with the battery. But I had talk to salesperson at apple, they said that is not a problem. They keep the display laptop plug in all the time and still have no problem. One more thing is the compatibility of windows when running using macbook. I do use a lot MS office during working.

I own iPad and very satisfied with that product. I love the Apple simplicity and better ios. I really will get the latest macbook air 11" next month  ;D

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 06:07:27 PM »
I have a 2011 Macbook Air, and battery is still great, and yes, I keep it plugged in most of the time. You will definitely appreciate it's portability, as it is unbelievably light which you should already know by now and it is a very powerful laptop for it's size. As for MS Office, you'll have to purchase it, however I prefer to use Apple's iWork software, but I understand that a lot of peeps are still running Windows. You should wait till Maverick gets released, however I'm pretty sure they will let you upgrade for free if you purchase it now, just that it's very 'ma huan' cuz you have to download the os and wait.  :Cheers:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

Many ultraportables are now coming with integrated non-removable batteries. I don't really see that as an issue if there is software to control when the batteries charge like on the Lenovo Thinkpads. Anyway, users would normally upgrade before the batteries die. Working on a laptop with the battery removed is a bad idea especially if someone or something trips over the power line and disrupts it.

iOS is much more user-friendly compared to Windows and that's what makes the iPhone and iPad so popular. However, some users who like to tinker will find the restrictions of the OS a bane.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »
the freedom of using a Mac:

1) If you concern about visiting your old pal (Windows) you can install it thru Bootcamp and you can choose to run which OS during start up by pressing the option key. However by doing so you can only operate in 1 particular OS at one time only.

2) If you wish to run 2 OS (Mac & Windows) at the same time, then as usual install Windows thru Bootcamp then install Parallel Desktop. Then you can enjoy playing 2 OS at the same time. Make sure you have sufficient RAM.

3) If your work required using Microsoft Office, you may either use it in Windows but if you want to experience using Mac as your workstation then you can install Microsoft Office for Mac in your Mac.

4) If you worry about your email, Apple built in Mail can work like Outlook and if you still feel like using Outlook, Microsoft Office for Mac included Outlook in the Home & Business version.

5) If you want to play game, no problem, your Mac is actually a Windows as well, just play it using Windows installed in your Mac.

I've been using my Mac for 3 years +, I've installed and using 4 different Windows:

2010: Windows XP
2011: Windows Vista
2012: Windows 7
2013: Windows 7 Ultimate

When I feel like playing some PC games I just switch to Windows, I mainly use Windows for games only.

So basically you pay the price for 1 Mac but you can run Windows exactly the way like you are using a Windows laptop.

1 Mac equal to 2 different laptop, I don't see any reason you don't want it.

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
thank you very much for all those support.. :thumbsup: I knew we could run windows on Mac but I like the authentic Mac without windows  ;D .I want to stay away from windows  :Laughing_on_floor: There is a similar app to MS Office,like iWork, Numbers and Pages. Are those document produce using that app, could be transfer then edited/run on other windows laptop? like my old one acer. Sorry if this question quite boring  ;D. Just to get general iDea  :) about working with mac.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:03:41 AM »
Just curious, how is the gaming performance when running PC game using Window on MacBook Pro/ MacBook Air? Say running Starcraft 2 for example.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
I knew we could run windows on Mac but I like the authentic Mac without windows. There is a similar app to MS Office,like iWork, Numbers and Pages. Are those document produce using that app, could be transfer then edited/run on other windows laptop?

Yes, iWork can let you save your file as MS Office version, however when you open up with Windows, the documents will be somehow "out of shape" or "out of alignment" funny thing happened.

I know you want to have a "All Mac Experience" but sometimes when it comes to work, nothing beat MS Office, my advice is to installed MS Office for Mac.

Just like iPhone and Google Maps, you can't dump Google Maps just because it is not Apple, disaster happened, people get lost, Scott Forstall get fired.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
Just curious, how is the gaming performance when running PC game using Window on MacBook Pro/ MacBook Air? Say running Starcraft 2 for example.

sorry not a fans of Starcraft so no feedback.

however I've been playing mostly First Person shooting like Modern Warfare and survival horror like Resident Evil 5, so far so good, no problem.

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
I have been thinking to buy Mac Book Air 11" as well for sometime, but ended up with Acer S7 11" + Win 8, b'cos of touch screen. So much faster to "click" icons & commands now.

I disagree with some of u that Windows are not as good as Mac. In fact, there is no more blue screen nor virus infection for long long time since Windows Vista. Win 7 was & is very good & stable. Win 8 is just about mobility (smart phones) & touch screen.

Many of my Mac friends agreed that Windows notebook is still better when using MS Office, ie. when office work is concerned.

I only use Windows for the last 20 years, only infected once by virus (Windows XP). That was also due to the negligence of my IT staff who did not activate the antivirus software.

I have never once have to pay for any software I downloaded from web. Nor having compatibility problem when my friends passed to me any software or files.

I do agree Mac is good, but I disagree Mac is "better" than Windows. There are many aspects to consider. The user base (corporate & home) is the best reference.

Just my thoughts...

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »
IMO there is no laptop complete or perfect with the all latest feature in one laptop. For me, apple ios always simple and more responsive compare to the competitor. I had notice MBA equip with backlit keyboard that lume in the dark. Can we turn off the backlit manually? Or it just adjust / turn off automatic when using the MBA under the bright environment? just to conserve the battery.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Can we turn off the backlit manually? Or it just adjust / turn off automatic when using the MBA under the bright environment? just to conserve the battery.

you can activate it manually, adjust the brightness or set to auto mode which based on your environment and for for how long will it stay lighted before turning off by itself. 

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
Can we turn off the backlit manually? Or it just adjust / turn off automatic when using the MBA under the bright environment? just to conserve the battery.

you can activate it manually, adjust the brightness or set to auto mode which based on your environment and for for how long will it stay lighted before turning off by itself.

Yup, there are two dedicated function keys for it, to dim it or to turn it off and another to brighten it.