Author Topic: "The price is going up very soon"  (Read 10232 times)

Offline chenht

"The price is going up very soon"
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:44:44 AM »
I am not sure if it is a coincident. Almost every time I walk into a watch shop to look at some watched I fancy, the sales person will say "you better grab it now if you like this watch as prices of XXXXXXX are going up very soon". I looked at Cartier Santos 100, Cartier de calibre, Breitling Chornomat, and a JLC Ultra Thin recently and I got the same advice.

If there is any watch shop sales staff reading this, could you please clarify if this is the standard phrase you are told by your management to tell your prospects? If the answer is yes, I guess you guys must learn to be more creative instead of using the same line repeatedly for the last century :HammerHead:

To be honest, I am sick of this phrase. Does anyone feel the same?
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: "The price is going up very soon"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:21 AM »
The same tactic also been used by property agent and car salesperson  ;D

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
I suppose there's some ounces of truth to some extent, no thanks due to the unfriendly dude called Inflation.

I think most of the popular brands would increase their prices over the years (not sure about every year), some slightly like 5%, some more by 10%.

But in the past few years since Global Financial Crisis, I think the prices have been somewhat kept in check by the global uncertainties although Asia have been relatively stronger. Some are still going higher...

For me, I turn to pre-owned watches if I don't want to pay for the premium of new pieces for some models but there are pros and cons...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
Agree with the OP - yes, this sales tactic is EXTREMELY irritating.  Utilisation of this tactic invaribaly preceds my walking out of the store, to go spend my money elsewhere.

Luxury watches are so overpriced now that really only the very wealthy can afford to buy them new, and realistically prices aren't going to go up much for a long time.  Most shops are so desperate for a sale these days that the staff will say just about anything.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:56:07 AM »
luxury items are always overpriced, that's the fact.

Offline Calibr

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
This sales closing tactic is likely to work on ladies more so than on men.  :o

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
sometime yes when the sales person say the price is about to go up, if i really wanted to get the watch, i'll call up the boutique or other AD to double confirm, certain brand price goes up in different timing

tactics or what, you do the judge ;)

Offline Empty Tree 8

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Apart from that very common hard sell line, here are a few others :-

1."This is the last one you know Sir, after this very hard to come by some more......"
2."This limited edition very nice number, you don't buy it someone else will......"
3."The more you postpone buying this....the later you will enjoy the investment returns that this purchase will bring..."
4."The (free gift/discount/store credit/foot massage/pounding headache *) [*delete as appropriate] that comes with this watch only for today Sir........"

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »
"this one already reserved by a customer, BUT if you want it, I can arrange"

Offline scooticus

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:20 PM »
I am not surprised at this as it is almost the time of the year that watch prices goes up another 5-10%. It has become a norm for it to happen once or twice in a year. If i can remember clearly, it's been a norm for this trend especially after SIHH or Baselworld right after new watches are introduced into the market.

Prices of watches has consistently gone up by 10% on an average per year which sadly has made some of my intended purchases close to impossible. Overall, it has a negative effect for collectors and consumers alike as it makes your baseline rolex submariner more expensive to acquire.

my humble 2 cents

Cheers
Scooticus

Offline Pajero

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
I hear it all the time but it does not bother me. I buy when I am ready and want to, notwithstanding the increase

Offline Yoda

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 07:27:02 PM »
I was in India last week, got into an Omega boutique just to check out the price.

The sales person said from 1 May price increase 10% across the globe

Just wonder if the Economy theory still works when around the world is suffering recession?

Imagine if the economy theory doesnt work same goes with gravity theory. We may climb like spideman one day without gravity
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:30:27 PM by Yoda »
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
The price will go up if u don't buy it now = I will lose my job if u don't buy it now

Every economist says "whatever goes up too high will come down". All of them were right but no one can tell the exact timing.

Of course price of watches will go up over time, but, how high? How much?

Heard price of B&R drops after an increase 1.5 years ago.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 12:01:39 AM »

why drop?

because most enthusiasts don't buy B&R's marketing hype?

Offline Calibr

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »

why drop?

because most enthusiasts don't buy B&R's marketing hype?

Can also happen to Panerai??

Offline claxchow

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 09:17:01 AM »
The price will go up if u don't buy it now = I will lose my job if u don't buy it now

Every economist says "whatever goes up too high will come down". All of them were right but no one can tell the exact timing.

Of course price of watches will go up over time, but, how high? How much?

Yeah. The price dropped few months back. Managed to grab a BR03-93 commando and save rm1k.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 09:23:58 AM »
do B&R officially announced it? or secretly reduced the RRP across Malaysia?

happened in Malaysia only? Asia? Globally?

Offline Yoda

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
Next time you hear that tell the salesperson

My desire is depleting fast

;D

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:29 PM »
Next time you hear that tell the salesperson

My desire is depleting fast

;D

Hahaha!  :thumbsup:

Offline nasa

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 10:29:42 PM »
The same tactic also been used by property agent and car salesperson  ;D

Not true bro, as a car salesman the most popular sentence now is "No boss, price won't coming down now" Hehehe.... :HammerHead:

Offline amir1218

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 02:31:34 PM »
Prices of watches has consistently gone up by 10% on an average per year which sadly has made some of my intended purchases close to impossible. Overall, it has a negative effect for collectors and consumers alike as it makes your baseline rolex submariner more expensive to acquire.

my humble 2 cents

Cheers
Scooticus

Its sad that prices always increase every few years.
The rich get richer, and the poor get poorer. The middle get squeezed..

Offline aum1

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »
That is the most juvenile sales tactic to build Urgency used by sales exec's in most watch stores around K.L.

Offline AsherLim

• Freshie
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 06:10:22 AM »
That is the most juvenile sales tactic to build Urgency used by sales exec's in most watch stores around K.L.

IMHO, I think that this phrase "The price is going up very soon" is a turn off. Perhaps it's because these retailers and dealers fail to pay enough attention to teaching how their employees to sell by 'adding' value to the item instead of pressuring one into a deal. I think many times, people feel that something is too expensive because they don't see it's value to be worth the money. It is the job then of the seller to 'add' value to the product that they are trying to sell. Although causing a sense of urgency to arise may sometimes be good enough to close the deal, but if I were the type with the money to afford a Panerai, I would be more likely to walk out and look at other brands and shops than to buy that watch there. Maybe this is something that retailers, dealers and the companies themselves should look into more often if they want to close a deal faster and more often. Besides a good buying experience leads to greater satisfaction when we finally put on the timepiece and thus increases the probability of one returning to get another and recommending one's friends to the shop which means free advertising.

Just my humble two cents.

Offline amir1218

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

Maybe this is something that retailers, dealers and the companies themselves should look into more often if they want to close a deal faster and more often. Besides a good buying experience leads to greater satisfaction when we finally put on the timepiece and thus increases the probability of one returning to get another and recommending one's friends to the shop which means free advertising.

Just my humble two cents.

Agree with you on retailers improving the customer's experience. The thing about the local sales staff is that they carry so many brands that they don't even know the specs of the watch and end up saying the wrong thing about the watch. And the watch boutiques sales staff do know something more about the watch spec but they don't usually discount very well.

And all of them will say this watch comes with an in house movement.... Even though that may not be exactly correct.

Offline Hydr0g3n

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »
It did happened to me when i was getting my tag, my first automatic swiss watch and i fell for it. Watches are getting more expensive these days but thats the truth. Just like houses.."buy now or pay more later" . Always puts people in dilemma.