Author Topic: Any suggestion or experience on Waterproof camera?  (Read 13597 times)

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
Any suggestion or experience on Waterproof camera?
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:40:45 PM »
Because lately i've started become active back with outdoor activities, so i think its about time for me to invest in all weather or waterproof camera..

first i just simply wanna buy Lifeproof for my iPhone and convert it into a waterproof camera.. then again it will cost me rm299 and some of the waterproof camera out there can be obtained around that price.. for example.. Nikon Coolpix S30 or S31 and Kodak EasyShare Sports C123...

So i did a lil research on waterproof camera because previously i only know about Olympus Tough series in the category..

Now it seems a lot of brands do offer waterproof camera.. but all weather camera still havent really have an impact in Malaysia... So its kinda hard to find a good one because its hard to find one..

One of my fren suggested that i just bought a normal digital camera and it's waterproof casing. But then.. it will be bulky and not that practical to walk around with it..

So... have you guys have any idea, suggestions or experience with all weather or toughen or waterproof camera?

Thinking bout buying Nikon Coolpix AW110.. with camouflage colour~ :D is it any good?

"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline bezelnut

Re: Any suggestion or experience on Waterproof camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »
Had a Olympus TG-6000 before. Rated to 3m water-resist, 1.5m shock-resist and -15c freeze-resist.

Died in a beach picnic.

Bought a Nikon D50 in 2005 (or 2004, I forget), seen rain, splashes, sand, mud, and dropped many times. Still working.

Moral of the story: Don't trust marketing people.  ;D

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
Had a Olympus TG-6000 before. Rated to 3m water-resist, 1.5m shock-resist and -15c freeze-resist.

Died in a beach picnic.

:o care to share what happened?

Bought a Nikon D50 in 2005 (or 2004, I forget), seen rain, splashes, sand, mud, and dropped many times. Still working.

Moral of the story: Don't trust marketing people.  ;D

D50 without any waterproof housing/casing?  ???
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:48:02 PM »
Olympus drown during a sunset stroll + swimming session. no skinny dip involved thou.  ;D
Water sip in from the battery door.

D50 never had casing. I don't submerge it in water, that would be foolish for anyone to do that to a DSLR, but I don't shy away from shooting in wet & rainy day either. It had followed me to many places, including Mulu & M. Kinabalu. Now retired in a drybox, job replaced by D300.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:50:34 PM by bezelnut »

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Awesome~ thanx for the info.. too bad for your "tough" camera tho.. huhu

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
Awesome~ thanx for the info.. too bad for your "tough" camera tho.. huhu

You're welcome.
Good luck for your camera hunt as well.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:45:35 AM »
tq again~ ^^

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »
What about a GoPro Hero 2/3? It seems to be the trend now with solid water proof casing & able to take single shots too.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
What about a GoPro Hero 2/3? It seems to be the trend now with solid water proof casing & able to take single shots too.

Tq for the suggestion..
have u had any experience with it?

actually I've also put it into consideration.. but its more towards the video rather than still image.. and u dont have the lcd display to preview ur taken image... but u can acquire it as an add ons.. and the only 1x optical zoom also a turn off for me..

the GoPro HD Hero comes complete with waterproof housing and several mounting plate so that u can attached to various place.. i.e: bicycle, surf boards and etc.. For me, i think, its more suitable for making surf videos, aerial videos or any sort of fast moving video..
there was a time that i wanted to buy GoPro HD Hero to make a short film with my fren tho.. :D

For now.. im going for a compact digital all weather/waterproof camera without the need of a separate housing.. ^^Y

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
Assuming you are not referring to housings for dslr type for submersion up to 50m.

Currently I'm using the Sony TX-10 whenever I go for those shallow water-based activities.
Its was submerged underwater several times during white water rafting trips whenever our inflatable turned over 180 degrees. Been used to take swimming pool shots as well.
IQ quality and even video is fairly good for a compact but as usual Sony's WB is always a bit saturated.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:57:54 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:52:22 AM »
Assuming you are not referring to housings for dslr type for submersion up to 50m.

Currently I'm using the Sony TX-10 whenever I go for those shallow water-based activities.
Its was submerged underwater several times during white water rafting trips whenever our inflatable turned over 180 degrees. Been used to take swimming pool shots as well.
IQ quality and even video is fairly good for a compact but as usual Sony's WB is always a bit saturated.

Thanks for the info..
went to check Sony's TX-10.. but most places dun have it anymore.. now they're offering TX-20... I kinda like it.. u never tot its a waterproof camera... as the design is simply like a normal point and shoot camera.. the sony sales person also demonstrate the advantage of having Exmor R CMOS sensor.. can capture nice detailed picture in low light..  :thumbsup:

do u have any problem with the slide down panel while using the TX-10?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
Yea, my TX-10 was bought 2 few yrs back.
No comment for TX-20 as I dunno the specs and no hands on usage.
Slide down panel no issue at all....just make sure u dun get sand in between..

Thanks for the info..
went to check Sony's TX-10.. but most places dun have it anymore.. now they're offering TX-20... I kinda like it.. u never tot its a waterproof camera... as the design is simply like a normal point and shoot camera.. the sony sales person also demonstrate the advantage of having Exmor R CMOS sensor.. can capture nice detailed picture in low light..  :thumbsup:

do u have any problem with the slide down panel while using the TX-10?
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »
tq all for the suggestion..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i've finally made my decision and already bought it~

I went for Nikon AW110 over Sony TX20.. because it looks more rugged and more outdoor-ish than TX20 which is more stylish and elegant.. plus the slide down panel bothers me somehow..

I first wanted a camouflage coloured body but i need to wait for a week.. because my hands were itching and my island vacation is coming.. i took the blue.. Seen attached to a JJC Floating Foam Strap ST-6O in the foto, which did it job of floating the camera..
i'm loving this camera~

tc cheers~
 :Cheers:

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats for your new camera, have fun in your vacation & travel safe.

Offline Jimmy Wong

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 08:15:17 AM »
Am_Sober

Just read your post even though its about a year old.

Before I start, let me clarify that All Weather Compact Camera photo quality does not compare DSLR or equivalent.
Nor do I work for Nikon :Laughing_on_floor:. I am just sharing my Nikon AW100 experience.

I have been using the Nikon AW100 since 2011 for outdoor and under water pic and its still as good as ever :thumbsup:.
The photo quality is quite decent but the video is even more impresive especially on HD.  :thumbsup:

I have dropped it (intentionally and accidentally) to proof its hardiness since it was under warranty back  :Laughing_on_floor:
then Underwater photography (video shooting even under water), Sat / stepped on it..
And the old thing still works.

Our company had to replace on an average 6 digital camera yearly (breakdown due to drop, water damage etc)
before we changed over to Nikon AW100 for our outdoor / field report photo and video.
We have not replaced any of the Nikon AW 100 or AW110 over the last 2 years or since acquiring them. :thumbsup:

We have about 20 units of AW 110 and AW 100 in my company now and we will acquire another
10 - 20 units of these this year pending on our project needs.

This is my 2 sen worth. :Cheers:

Jimmy Wong

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »

I have dropped it (intentionally and accidentally) to proof its hardiness since it was under warranty back  :Laughing_on_floor:
then Underwater photography (video shooting even under water), Sat / stepped on it..

yerp.. i did the same thing oso..  :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:
hehehe

have gone through many outdoor activities with me since i bought it, island hoping, mount climbing, hiking, trekking, snorkeling, etc.
it had endure rain, waterfalls, mud, sea waves etc but it still works fine~  :thumbsup:

Offline Jimmy Wong

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

yerp.. i did the same thing oso..  :Dancing_banana: :Dancing_banana:

hehehe

have gone through many outdoor activities with me since i bought it, island hoping, mount climbing, hiking, trekking, snorkeling, etc.
it had endure rain, waterfalls, mud, sea waves etc but it still works fine~  :thumbsup:

Things we do when its still under warranty... :Laughing_on_floor:

:Cheers:

Offline chizuoka

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 04:41:24 PM »
You might consider getting one of the olympus micro 4/3 cams and an underwater case. Way much more affordable than SLR with waterproof case, but with much better quality than compacts.

Offline watchlover99

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 09:18:08 PM »
Because lately i've started become active back with outdoor activities, so i think its about time for me to invest in all weather or waterproof camera..

first i just simply wanna buy Lifeproof for my iPhone and convert it into a waterproof camera.. then again it will cost me rm299 and some of the waterproof camera out there can be obtained around that price.. for example.. Nikon Coolpix S30 or S31 and Kodak EasyShare Sports C123...

So i did a lil research on waterproof camera because previously i only know about Olympus Tough series in the category..

Now it seems a lot of brands do offer waterproof camera.. but all weather camera still havent really have an impact in Malaysia... So its kinda hard to find a good one because its hard to find one..

One of my fren suggested that i just bought a normal digital camera and it's waterproof casing. But then.. it will be bulky and not that practical to walk around with it..

So... have you guys have any idea, suggestions or experience with all weather or toughen or waterproof camera?

Thinking bout buying Nikon Coolpix AW110.. with camouflage colour~ :D is it any good?

mayb can try go pro with cover for.underwater photography

Offline Nabilotqq

Any suggestion or experience on Waterproof camera
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 05:50:32 AM »
Im doing a long rafting trip soon, but dont have a camera to take.  Im sure the other guys will send me some photos, but Id like to have a camera hooked onto my PFD life jacket to be able to snap some of my own.

The trouble is that Ive spent so much money buying up all the other gear I need for this trip, that Ive got very little left for a camera.  So it needs to be cheap, and obviously it needs to be rugged and waterproof, as its going to get bashed around, and dunked in the water quite a lot.

Could people please offer me their suggestions for a cheap, waterproof, compact digital camera?

Obviously Id like something that will take fantastic photos too, but I know I may just have to put up with lesser quality when I dont have much to spend.
I trust this auto trading system for profitable business

Offline dualcarb

Re: Any suggestion or experience on Waterproof camera
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
Im doing a long rafting trip soon, but dont have a camera to take.  Im sure the other guys will send me some photos, but Id like to have a camera hooked onto my PFD life jacket to be able to snap some of my own.

The trouble is that Ive spent so much money buying up all the other gear I need for this trip, that Ive got very little left for a camera.  So it needs to be cheap, and obviously it needs to be rugged and waterproof, as its going to get bashed around, and dunked in the water quite a lot.

Could people please offer me their suggestions for a cheap, waterproof, compact digital camera?

Obviously Id like something that will take fantastic photos too, but I know I may just have to put up with lesser quality when I dont have much to spend.

What is your budget like? Many decent waterproof cameras in the market these days.
I have been using this for over 5 years and it still takes decent photos.
http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/coolpix/aw/aw100/

This is the Nikon AW100. I have taken underwater videos of my son swimming and it wasn’t too shabby either. For less than RM1000,you couldn’t ask for more.

Offline Ajas

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 06:35:18 AM »
I have been looking at Olympus TG 6. 15 m water restance I believe.
Pretty good for 1800 ringitt camera.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
My family are avid sun worshippers so we are always hitting the beaches wherever we could spare time and monies. From our experiences these few years with waterproof cameras :

JVC Addixion : Battery life sucks big time. Used as a dash cam now.
Olympus TG-5 : Sand often got into the shutter button cavity and affected the pressing button operation. Needed to be pried out carefully. Also somewhere in the drawers.
Sony TX20 : Operation always froze when used under water. Fixed few times under warranty, worked, then same thing happened. Now somewhere in the drawers.

These days, I used an SLRs with DiCaPac (Korean-made underwater camera bag), and it has been working so far. The bag is relatively affordable at circa RM300+ and they cater to all camera types (compact, prosumer, SLR, etc). NB : If you have an SLR that could fit in my bag, I could loan mine to you for free; but you need to take care of it of course and return it in working condition.

Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline Teikfun

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
Olympus TG's