Author Topic: A noob question  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Xianjeff

A noob question
« on: April 29, 2013, 08:48:11 PM »
If watch like urwerk, mb&f, hyt, debethune costs so much, how much do the people behind them worth? Y no one here into those brands? Just because they are out of reach?

Offline JPSP

Re: A noob question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
yes most of us are mere mortals so we can't afford such high end pieces.

Offline Xianjeff

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 12:44:53 PM »
One question, who are making those watches and who are them selling to?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 12:51:07 PM »
One question, who are making those watches and who are them selling to?
Super rich guy and don't know where to spend their money to.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
def there is a market for the super rich, u wont know and u wont see them appear online, they are too busy with big biz/shares  ;D

if one day i get crazy sell everything i have i'll buy debethune too  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:57:30 PM »
David,

I tried on the Dream Watch platinum and the DB28 Ti this past Sat.
Marvelous pieces.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
i'm waiting for the new skybridge to get on hand, i think i can really get crazy  ;D

Offline takashi78

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
Not a fan of that one.
something bout the short hands.

Offline STT1987

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:36 AM »
Urwerk watches aren't that stratospherically expensive. Saw one on sale in Singapore for a price that was near a PP or VC.
 :Startled:  :Startled:

It's all relative, for a watch aficionado that can only afford swatches and G-shocks; Rolexes and Panerais are an extravagant luxury. And so on going up the price scale. I do admit though, at a certain point, it becomes an exercise in snobbery and extravagance.
 :mooning:
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

It's all relative, for a watch aficionado that can only afford swatches and G-shocks; Rolexes and Panerais are an extravagant luxury. And so on going up the price scale. I do admit though, at a certain point, it becomes an exercise in snobbery and extravagance.

Going off topic here..

At what point would it be considered "snobbery and extravagance"? Time is everywhere these days so wearing any watch whether it's RM200 or RM200,000 would be considered extravagance no?

Offline STT1987

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »

Going off topic here..

At what point would it be considered "snobbery and extravagance"? Time is everywhere these days so wearing any watch whether it's RM200 or RM200,000 would be considered extravagance no?

This is a subjective matter. What's good for the goose may not be for the gander. As you said, if all you want to do is tell time, just look at your hand phone or buy a 20 RM digital watch off a street vendor.

That said, this to me personally, is when you go off the rails into obnoxiousness.

YMMV.
“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
This video will prepare you for internet life.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:10 PM »

Rather than jumping into an extended debate on the definitions of snobbery, extravagance and obnoxiousness (thank God for instant spell-checkers), let's agree that any watch other than a "RM20 digital from a street vendor" is extravagance. A snob will be a snob even with a "RM20 digital from a street vendor" when he sees someone without a watch. And what is obnoxious to one person may be a beauty to another.

C'mon.. admit that that leopard Daytona does have an attraction to it. I'd say it would be really nice on the wrist of a voluptuous lady in a matching leopard bikini....

:Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 08:07:07 AM »
I think that's irrelevant on how much these ppl worth. They might worth a lot and they might not. 

Everyone has a threshold on paying price. Some higher some lower. Most of the time it's measure on the "perceive value" of the watch, which is highly subjective.

On some rare occasions it is about the sharing the vision of the creator/watchmaker.

Y no one here into these brands? I suspect you just haven't come to meet them yet.  ;)

Regard
Tyler

If watch like urwerk, mb&f, hyt, debethune costs so much, how much do the people behind them worth? Y no one here into those brands? Just because they are out of reach?

Offline Ranggomale

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

Sometime not all brand people cup of tea