Author Topic: Orient 300m professional diver watch - a Brief review  (Read 31420 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Orient 300m professional diver watch - a Brief review
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »
Orient is a Japanese watch company with a history dating back to 1901. Orient offer excellent quality watches at very reasonable price points. In September 2008 Seiko Epson announced its intention to take full ownership control of Orient. Prior to that it had a 52% equity stake in Orient.

The Orient 300m Professional diver watch is one of the larger watches in my collection. It is a real saturation diver rated to a depth of 300m. It differs from the usual Swiss design for saturation dive watches in that the Helium escape valve is omitted.

The watch measures 45.7mm in diameter without crown and the lug to lug distance is approximately 55mm. At the side the watch measures 16.6mm thick. As can be expected from its dimensions the watch weights a hefty 233 grams with the steel bracelet. In case you haven't noticed this is not a watch to be worn to the office unless you wish to risk denting the expensive office furniture or ripping your shirt cuffs off.

The crown is signed and is located at the 4 o'clock position, which helps to alleviate the problem of excessive wrist contact as is commonly experienced with 3 o'clock crown positions, especially with large sized watches. Crown guards curve out gently from the watch casing to protect the crown.

The orange colored dial is protected by a 5.3mm thick AR coated sapphire glass. On the dial the hour, minute and second hands, together with the hour markers are coated with a generous amount of luminous paint which provide excellent luminosity in the dark. The date window is located at the nine o'clock position instead of the more conventional 3 o'clock position. As this watch is obviously not meant to be elegantly concealed by shirt cuffs, the date window position does not represent a problem. The thick and wide bezel rotates in only the anti-clockwise direction in 60 solid clicks.

Between the 12 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions is the power reserve indicator. This is not a common feature on dive watches. The indicator swings in a 120 degree arc to indicate the amount of energy reserve in the barrel spring in 10 hour increments.

In addition to the stainless steel bracelet Orient has supplied an additional polyurethane strap. For those who find the watch a bit on the heavy side can always strap on urethane strap for an instantaneous weight loss. As a nice touch, Orient has also provided a strap changing tool to simply the task of switching straps. The bracelet is equipped with a cleverly designed gliding diver's extension which can be operated without having to take the watch off the wrist. A push button release is provided to unlock the bracelet and a safety clasp prevents accidental unlocking of the bracelet.

Orient is known to utilize the "magic lever" automatic winding system in their movements. As such this self winds very efficiently. From a dead stop the watch can be easily restarted with a few swings of the arm, and once on the wrist the power reserve builds up with quickly and effortlessly.

Below are some pictures of my Orient 300m Professional Diver:

Frontal view of the watch face.

Laser etched Orient logo on the crown. Notice the traditional lug hole design which simplify the task of strap changing.

Small date window at the 9 o'clock position.

Laser etched Orient logo on the clasp.

Power reserve indicator has 10 hour increments.

The triangle marker on the bezel has a luminous pearl.

Cleverly designed gliding diver's extension.

Details of the clasp locking mechanism.

Details of the clasp locking mechanism. Push lever for unlocking clasp.

Details of stainless steel bracelet with solid links.

Nicely engraved case back.

Detail of knurled screw down crown.

Close up of bezel and crown. Notice the knurls on the crown and coin edge on the bezel which provide firm grip.

Close up of dial. Notice the quality dial print work and the beautiful metallic borders on the markers.

As the pictures above testify the Orient Diver is a well designed watch with excellent quality build and finish. Orient could have put a much higher price tag on this watch but by not doing so have provided one of the best value for money dive watches available in the market today.

Technical specifications taken from Orient web site:

i) Mechanical Movement : ORIENT caliber 46N4A Made in Japan

ii) Self-winding movement (Does not hack nor hand wind)

iii) Enhanced shock proof

iv) 21 jewels

v) 21600/hour vibrations

vi) Power reserve indicator

vii) Stainless steel case and bracelet

viii) One-way rotating bezel

ix) Sapphire crystal with anti-reflection coating

x) Screw caseback, screwed-down crown

xi) Special extensible buckle for metal bracelet

xii) Water resistant to 300m

xiii) Diameter 45.7mm

xiv) Thickness 16.6mm</p>

Additional specifications:

Reference no - CFD0C001M
Power reserve - 40 hours

Links and resources:

Reviews:

i) Review by Kew on Orientalwatchsite

ii) Review by Oldecrow on Orientalwatchsite

iii) Information Orient web site

Information on the Magic Lever winding system:

i) Post on Orientalwatchsite by Knightwatchman

ii) Article on Timezone by Rob Berkavicius

iii) Article on PuristsPro by Al

iv) Summary table describing Orient movements

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:05:09 AM by danny »

Offline Scott C.

Re: Orient 300m professional diver watch - a Brief review
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
Very cool review :) I don't call it "brief"  ;)

Like the orange dial and Power reserve indicator!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:35:18 PM »
Thanks Scott.
My original intent was to keep the review brief, but I guess I got carried away a little.
Orient also offers a black dialed version, but I have yet to see it locally.
For those considering the new Rolex Deep Sea, this watch gives the Rollie a serious run for the money.

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 01:47:31 PM »
Wow Danny, this is the 1st time I notice such watch. Pls bring one for next GTG.  ;D

BTW, did u take those pics? They are real nice, man.

Thx for a good effort in providing the review.

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »
Hi Alvin,
I'll be glad to bring the watch to our next meet up. I forgot to mention that the watch was purchased locally and not in Japan. It's an export model. The domestic model is similar in design but is labelled as Orientstar, the premium line in Japan.

I did take these pictures but they were enhanced with computer software, in my case I use Gimp.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
great review with sharp photo....

Offline SHL

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
This is a very nice watch.. i wish i can have one too..
where can i find in malaysia? How much u buy this watch? below RM2000.00??

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:54:26 AM »
This is a very nice watch.. i wish i can have one too..
where can i find in malaysia? How much u buy this watch? below RM2000.00??
Hi Jeff,
Just sent you a PM with the info that you require.

:Cheers:

Offline SHL

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi Danny..

Thanks for your information. i will going to have a look for it when i am free..
orient watch got less than RM2000??

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
Hi Danny..

Thanks for your information. i will going to have a look for it when i am free..
orient watch got less than RM2000??

Orient is known for the value for money timepieces. Many models are available at below the price range that you're looking at.

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 02:09:34 PM »
very cool watch..... any sifus here can compare this watch with seiko MM300.. btw danny can pm me where did u buy this and how much??.
Jacky Wong

Offline takashi78

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 03:35:07 PM »
I think the MM300 is a step higher in terms of overall finishing.

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:34 PM »
 :thumbsup:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
can pm me as i want to know how much you bought this watch and from where? thanks in advance. love the power reserve :thumbsup:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 08:51:02 AM »
can pm me as i want to know how much you bought this watch and from where? thanks in advance. love the power reserve :thumbsup:
Hi Gmac88,
Sent you a PM.

Offline ken6172

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
hi bro,very nice watch .where can i find in malaysia? How much u buy this watch?can u pm me thanks

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 06:35:46 AM »
hi bro,very nice watch .where can i find in malaysia? How much u buy this watch?can u pm me thanks

PM sent.

Offline ken6172

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:12 AM »
thanks for ur infomation & have a nice day ;D

Offline ken6172

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »
today i had went to shop to asking ,this model is out of stock :'(,need to order & waiting :'(

Offline Poppyplants

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 12:20:09 PM »
I actually tried on this watch when I was browsing for watches to buy for my dad (father's day). I would have to say its build quality is TOP NOTCH, feels freakin solid because it IS freakin solid.

I also tried and compared both Seiko and Orient watches in their respective price brackets. Outcome is, Orient always had better quality and bang for buck. I ended up buying an Orient automatic watch with sapphire crystal, display back, solid links and clasp, date, power reserve at quite an unbelieveable price IMO.

The model is FD0F001W on this link (non-selling orient website) http://www.orient-watch.com/products/category/item/?category_id=19

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 12:49:31 PM »
I actually tried on this watch when I was browsing for watches to buy for my dad (father's day). I would have to say its build quality is TOP NOTCH, feels freakin solid because it IS freakin solid.

I also tried and compared both Seiko and Orient watches in their respective price brackets. Outcome is, Orient always had better quality and bang for buck. I ended up buying an Orient automatic watch with sapphire crystal, display back, solid links and clasp, date, power reserve at quite an unbelieveable price IMO.

The model is FD0F001W on this link (non-selling orient website) http://www.orient-watch.com/products/category/item/?category_id=19

Congrats on your latest acquisition. I have the black dialed model on strap. It's fantastic value for money.

I do agree that Orient watches provide a lot of bang for the buck. There's no way you can get an Swiss automatic watch with PR function at a price level even close to what you paid for the Orient.

Compared to Seiko, Orient watches are better value because they are not charging you for Daniel Wu's endorsement fees.  ;D

Do post some wrist shots of your new watch.

Offline sur3tato

• Freshie
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »
Very detailed review with great shots!  :thumbsup:

very unique divers with power reserve too! what a great find...

Orient should have given you the watch FOC and pay you for the review  ;D  :Cheers:

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 03:36:39 PM »

Orient should have given you the watch FOC and pay you for the review  ;D  :Cheers:
Thanks Sherwyn. How I wish they would do that.

Offline TAO

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 09:08:29 PM »

PM sent.

Hi Danny,

What an great review and that a nice watch from Orient. Never thought they come out such a nice one...

Can you PM me the price and location where can I get one too?

Thks!!

Offline kltime

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 04:33:27 PM »
I do agree that Orient watches provide a lot of bang for the buck. There's no way you can get an Swiss automatic watch with PR function at a price level even close to what you paid for the Orient.

Compared to Seiko, Orient watches are better value because they are not charging you for Daniel Wu's endorsement fees.  ;D
[/quote]
 :thumbsup:After reading some forums, I pulled the trigger and got an Orient Mako with the Pepsi bezel. After using it my verdict is same as yours- affordable,excellent price to value ratio, good looks and performance. It probably costs 20% of the LOWEST value swiss automatic diver.