Author Topic: Gathering of watches with German movements....  (Read 5870 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Gathering of watches with German movements....
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:45:24 PM »
I'd like to propose the next watch gathering to cover watches with German movements.
German movements are distinctly different from Swiss movements as they mostly adopt the 3/4 base plate, swan neck regulators, engraved balance cocks, circular sunburst gears, etc..

Brands that come to mind are :
A. Lange, Glashutte Original, Volker Vyskocil, Nomos (some models), Lang & Heyne, Dornbluth, Rainer Nienaber, Damasko (those with cal A-35), Wempe (those with Nomos movement).
It would be great if some of our members have some of these 'uncommon' watches to share and lust for, over a slow and easy lunch gathering.

Those interested in such a gathering are cordially invited to list their names below.
Date proposed can be any weekend in April. Details will be worked out once we have a big enough quorum.

I can bring 4 watches which will qualify i.e. 2 GO's, 1 Damasko with in-house A-35-1 movement, 1 Archimede with Junghans vintage movement. I'd love to be able to view & handle watches from any of the above brands, which I currently do not own.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:00:05 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

Re: Gathering of German watches with German movements....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
Brands that come to mind are :
A. Lange, Glashutte Original, Volker Vyskocil, Nomos (some models), Lang & Heyne, Dornbluth, Rainer Nienaber, Damasko (those with cal A-35), Wempe (those with Nomos movement).
It would be great if some of our members have some of these 'uncommon' watches to share and lust for, over a slow and easy lunch gathering.

Hey, Joseph,

Ypu left out the MWF 2012 watch by VDB albeit with swiss eta movement.... :laugh:

...and what about that brand which most people will associate with germany????...SINN?? :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:35:29 PM by Enkidu »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »
Such strict requirements to even qualify  :P

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
hi Loo & Peter,
There are numerous watches claiming to 'German' including Junkers, Messerschmitt, Zeppelin, etc, etc...so how do we draw the line...
If 'German' brands with Swiss movement is ok, then what about  'German' brands with Miyota or Seagull or whatever Asian movt ?

Anyway let's see the response first.. if we can get a handful of members who have watches with german movements and are keen to participate then let's proceed.
Please note that in such single themed gatherings, it is not a requirement that participants must own such a watch, as long as they are interested in such watches and want to learn more or contribute their knowledge...

Of course if there are only a few watches that will be displayed, then it won't serve its purpose..in which case we'll scrap the idea and propose a different theme.

Originally I wanted to propose a GO gathering but restricting it to just 1 brand esp a non mainstream brand would end up with even fewer participants, altho Loo you've also got a GO, right?

Actually the last gathering with a single brand, JLC went rather well.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:01:57 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »

There are numerous watches claiming to 'German' including Junkers, Messerschmitt, Zeppelin, etc, etc...so how do we draw the line...
'German' brands with Swiss movement is ok, then what about  'German' brands with Miyota or Seagull or whatever Asian movt ?

Does that mean German brands with Swiss mov't is considered German but with non-Swiss is not?

???

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:03:23 PM »
Thats why I said that there r 'German' watches with all kinds of movements i.e. Swiss, Miyotas, Asian movts
Different ppl interpret things differently.
Since german movt DNA is very distinct from Swiss my intention was to compare various german movts. As you know I also collect Swiss, Japanese n German watches
First I initiated a GS then a JLC gathering, so the next logical gathering was to be a german movt based watch gathering.

'German' brands with Swiss movement is ok, then what about  'German' brands with Miyota or Seagull or whatever Asian movt ?

Does that mean German brands with Swiss mov't is considered German but with non-Swiss is not?

???
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:17:15 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Joseph,

Hahaha....just joking, just joking.......don't get mad. It's just that your sentence (with a little bit of racist modification...) sounds a bit like an excerpt from Mein Kampf..

'German' people with Swiss genes are ok, then what about  'German' people with genes of those filthy asiatic dogs?..... :D ;D

Since Germany these days are liberal enough to have Mario Gomez, Mesut Ozil, Philip Rosler...I guess it's better to also specifically open the invitation to the owners of Stowas, Steinharts, Tutimas, the Sinners, Hanharts, Junghans although they may have ETA/UNITAS/MIYOTA engines.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:45:03 PM by Enkidu »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:12:37 PM »
Loo, I'm not in the least upset, why would I be.

Now tat I re-read wat I wrote, I had accidentally omitted the word 'If' 'German' brands with Swiss......."
My error.

I think I explained the intention of the gathering quite clearly, i.e. to view n appreciate german movements with their unique teutonic dna...
I've changed the title to 'Gathering of watches with german movements'...

If there aren't enough of such watches in the forum, then just drop the idea..its no biggie..

I'm familiar with what 2824, 2892, 6497,6498, 7001, 7750 cal  looks like, hence my interest in german movts.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:02:45 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline kiamat

Re: Gathering of watches with German movements....
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
white power!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Gathering of watches with German movements....
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 12:48:02 PM »
not just white power but Aryan power... :HammerHead: :Scolding:
Sieg Heil ..... :thumbsup:

white power!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:51:54 PM by JOS2012 »