Author Topic: Advice on polishing vintage watch  (Read 4152 times)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Advice on polishing vintage watch
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:19:59 AM »
Hi all,

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Came across a couple of old threads on polishing as I am looking for a polish solution. Just got a vintage omega de ville in good condition but scratched it from opening and closing the zipper on the leather case.  :HammerHead: Such a heartache seeing the 45yr old watch scratched...   :( :'(

There was one called Cape Cod but not sure if it's still available or suitable. Anyone had further experience with the polishing cloth? Or are there other options now?

Am also thinking of sending it for a polish.. anyone knows a good shop or reference for this?

Thanks in advance!
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Advice on polishing vintage watch
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
The nice looking case from the seller:

but alas I didnt notice the danger lurking inside..  :Blue:

Just to share my ignorance with others to avoid any bad experience in future...
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline TET@WATCH

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:25 AM »
Hi 1to12...Gong Xi Gonx Xi 2u2...thanks for sharing your experience.  Anyway, which part of the watch scratched ?  From the casing picture, i notice that there is a pouch..

Offline oldae

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
hi..as far as i know, the cape cod polish is only for metal based item, not for leather. Maybe you can try use the shoe polish cream for that..

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
The casing was the culprit although my hands were the unknowing accomplice..

This was how it arrived on 8 Feb...

This is after the accident over CNY...

I wont forgive myself till I right this wrong..

All advices are much appreciated.