Author Topic: A long time waiting  (Read 3921 times)

Offline G.MAC

A long time waiting
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »
This piece was first bought at the beginning of this year and I had to trade-in a few pieces to top up for this piece. When I first got it, I dont think it was serviced and the accuracy was terrible. It gained approx 20 minutes a day and the power reserve was not accurate. It also had a few scratches on the case which didnt really bug me. So I send the watch to Richemont Singapore and told them to check the watch. The verdict, I had to change the mainspring, give it a complete service and polish the watch( if I want to). I agreed to the deal without asking for a quote (rookie mistake). The service took close to 7 months as they had to wait for some spare parts from Switzerland. Anyway, here it is now. One of my grails since I first started collecting watches. This was my 'must have' pilot watch on my list. The IWC 'Die Grosse Fliegeruhr' 5002.

46.5mm stainless steel case, flieger strap. Why this over the 5004? I just prefer the dial more. It has a more military look to it. The 5004 model has a classier and dressier feel to it. The movement runs at a slower beat as compared to the 5004. The 5002 runs at 18000 beats per hour as compared to 21600 beats per hour in the 5004. It is however still accurate and keeps time well.

The signed IWC buckle

What I liked about the watch is that the straps are long enough. It is also very comfortable to wear.

I was told that they replaced the hands with new ones but still correct to the model of the watch.

I also asked that they maintain the original fish crown to keep the watch as original as possible.

It would be nice if the watch had a display caseback like the portuguese 7 days so that I can see the movement but this also works.

The watch has a 60m water resist rating but being a leather strap watch i dont go dipping my hands in water or wetting the watch. More shots of the watch

Last but not least the wrist shot

With this, I am not collecting any more flieger models and am looking forward to one more piece to end my watch collecting craze.
Thank you all for viewing.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: A long time waiting
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:24 AM »
Nice review and seems fit well on your wrist  :thumbsup:
Mind to share the servicing cost?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 07:38:10 AM »
hi,
I have always been keen on IWC but to-date have not bought one as I find their price points when new above my own perception of their value. Always ended up with a GO whenever I compare IWC vs GO in terms of similar complication and quality of movement finishing against the asking prices...

So I've been looking out for a reasonable pre-owned piece as such...

As a potential buyer of an IWC, I'd love to know about their vaunted technical performance from owners.

An IWC that runs +20 minutes/day and the mainspring needing replacement ? I do hope this is an odd lemon..
How old is the watch... not to diss IWC but I have an old ORIS alarm that has never been serviced since 198x and yet runs only +1.x  min fast/day..

To be fair 7 day movements mainsprings could be under more metal fatigue I reckon... but my JLC Grande GMT which is a 8 day PR has been with me for close to 8 yrs without a mainspring replacement..

Do share the cost of this service if you can, so that those potential IWC owners can have an informed decision incl. yours truly......
By the way you serviced it in Spore because you're based there or Richemont can't service it in KL ?

I'd have gone for the 5002 vs 5004 for your very same reasons...lovely flieger....

Thanks...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:48:49 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »
The watch was not taken care by the previous owner. It went for 11 years without a service. Also the watch was heavily magnetized so this affected the balance spring's timekeeping and caused the mainspring to be overworked? But since i got it at a good price, I didnt complain. I send it to Richemont Singapore mainly because I had a friend who was going there at the time. So I asked for his help to send it there. Richemont KL could do it but I wasnt going there at the time and nor was anyone of my friends. Total cost of service, change of parts, polishing etc from Richemont was RM1600. Really happy with the job done on the watch.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:01:31 AM »
thanks for your info....
the servicing charges are reasonable....I paid a similar amount for my Omega Planet Ocean chrono Cal 3313 service....and yes the 5002 looks lovely from your pics..
do share a long term report in time to come on its performance... :thumbsup:

The watch was not taken care by the previous owner. It went for 11 years without a service. Also the watch was heavily magnetized so this affected the balance spring's timekeeping and caused the mainspring to be overworked? But since i got it at a good price, I didnt complain. I send it to Richemont Singapore mainly because I had a friend who was going there at the time. So I asked for his help to send it there. Richemont KL could do it but I wasnt going there at the time and nor was anyone of my friends. Total cost of service, change of parts, polishing etc from Richemont was RM1600. Really happy with the job done on the watch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:03:27 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.