Author Topic: The Jim Thompson Trail, Cameron Highlands - Jungle trekking without sweating  (Read 7791 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
While I was in Cameron Highlands with the family a few months ago, the story of Jim Thompson cropped up.

Since the kids are older now, they tend to be more fascinated with stories, histories and folklore instead of just having fun while on trips. It gives me a good opportunity to also get to know more about a place. It is fun to investigate and research as a family.

Jim Thompson, born March 21, 1906 in Greenville, Delaware, was an American architect who helped revitalize Thailand's silk and textile industry in the 1950s and 1960s. Thompson, previously a member of the CIA, disappeared mysteriously after going for an afternoon walk on Easter Sunday in Cameron Highlands on March 26th, 1967.

Jim Thompson was on a quiet trip to the highlands to visit some friends and the fact that he left his cigarettes and a small silver 'jungle box' on the chair outside Moonlight Cottage where he was staying suggests that he had not planned to be gone for long. Thompson was never seen again, and the theories for his disappearance are many. Many believe that he was kidnapped for his previous involvement in spying activities. However it is more likely that he was eaten by a tiger, murdered in a botched robbery or fell into an animal trap. What happened to him still remains one of the unsolved mysteries of Southeast Asia.

So, as a family we decided to retrace his trail in the jungle.

Due to the location of where he was on that day plus the fact that he didn't plan to go for a long trek as he left his cigarettes, it is generally accepted that he most probably took the No. 3 trail. Here are some photos.

Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
Interesting~ tq for the info~!

:o err.. u have to walk 44km to the golf course??

and the trail to gunung berembun is 198km?  :Confused:
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline Taga

Is it just me, or everybody else also see a dragon riding a horse..  :shocked1:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Interesting~ tq for the info~!

:o err.. u have to walk 44km to the golf course??

and the trail to gunung berembun is 198km?  :Confused:

0.44 km and 1.98 km. missing decimal point
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
the type of trees in these photos remind me... my expedition...

from the cameron highland dam.... up down up down the banjaran titiwangsa ...
gunung after gunung.... 1800 - 2000 - 1800 - 2000 m..... after conquered the gunung korbu...
next day 2043m - 800m in 6 hours.... till my knee was pain for few mths...
7 days later i went out from hulu kinta ipoh.....

n 7 days expedition lost 9 kg

Offline Watchnewby

gunung after gunung.... 1800 - 2000 - 1800 - 2000 m..... after conquered the gunung korbu...

Were you doing the trans-Titiwangsa trip covering 3 peaks at that time? I Love the outdoor and the peaks.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator

Were you doing the trans-Titiwangsa trip covering 3 peaks at that time? I Love the outdoor and the peaks.

Yes... They call it Ekspitasi Trans Banjaran Titiwangsa

Can't remember most mountains name!

Can remember step on the border stone of 3 state
Perak - Pahang - Terengganu
It is so clear because the area was burned not long ago after lightening strike...

Offline Watchnewby

Chris, the 3 peaks that you mentioned in Trans Banjaran Titiwangsa are Mt Korbu(Perak) 2,183m, Gg Yong Belar(Pahang) 2,181m and Gg Gayong. At least you guys scale 3 of the 7 highest peaks in Peninsular Malaysia.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Chris, the 3 peaks that you mentioned in Trans Banjaran Titiwangsa are Mt Korbu(Perak) 2,183m, Gg Yong Belar(Pahang) 2,181m and Gg Gayong. At least you guys scale 3 of the 7 highest peaks in Peninsular Malaysia.

Besides that any gunung 'nigiri'
Can't remember exactly the name...
Yes. I can remember Yong belar n korbu

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
Besides that any gunung 'nigiri'
Can't remember exactly the name...
Yes. I can remember Yong belar n korbu

not sure bout Gunung Nigiri, but i've been to Sungai Nenggiri, Kelantan for water rafting~  ;D
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"