Author Topic: Impromptu invitation to a gathering at Fahrenheit earlier today  (Read 16450 times)

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
Re: Impromptu invitation to a gathering at Fahrenheit earlier today
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Sorry when i think of a watch that resembles anything like Captain Kirk...
THIS is what i think of...ohhh drooollll..... :o

Captain Kirk to the Enterprise. 2 to beam up. Energise.

Offline kiamat

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
High light of the day !!!

Enkidu wearing a PAM

Credit has to go to Kiamat who was generous enough to allow me lots of wrist time with that PAM 425 during the GTG. In fact, I think I can even write a mini-review below:

Great Points:
- Legibility is superb! Second to none. You can see the hands from 20 meters away I am sure.
- The matt dial, the hands and the domed crystal (sapphire??) collectively give the watch a really vintage feel.
- The winding is very smooth. Right up till the end, very little resistance. Perhaps the wearer needs to exercise some caution here otherwise the watch may be over-wound with damaging consequences to the mainspring!
- The leather strap, you ask?? nice and thick, wears comfortably round the wrist. A little short for a chubby fellow like me, but should be more than enough for the rest of mortal beings here in Malaysia.
- Watch has a nice weight, not too light, not too heavy, sits very comfortably on the wrist. Does not wobble around.
- Accuracy ==> sorry, can't tell. No minute markers and second hand. Need a beat meter definitely. No use trying to synch the time to TV1, TV2, TV3 news or BBC's time signal. This has its advantage. Great watch during a holiday! Best watch to be worn on the wrist of the arm which you intend to put round a bikini-clad sex goddess on a lonely scenic beach one leisurely weekend away from your wife, listening to the roar of the ocean waves, under a shady coconut tree with a few pints of beer as your other companion.

Now, the Bad points:
- No minute markers (or second markers if you are JOS). The torpedo will strike at 2.52pm? Sorry, can't tell that from my watch. Make it strike at 2.55pm please. Definitely not for people working at CERN or NASA.
-  Inconsistency of design. Whilst the dial, domed crystal and patina on hands give the front of the watch a vintage feel, the view of the movement through the see-through case-back is like a dash board from Captain Kirk's Enterprise.
- The "torpedo" marking on the dial seems to be sinking into the abyss. Please make it horizontal when the "P" series are out. Thank you.

Overall Results:

Let's see.....I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10.    :laugh:

enkidu, thank you for the frank review. highly appreciate it.

i have just been bitten by pam300 LOL! let's see if i can get one for you to review... got minute marker!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

pam341 also another poison in my blood vein LOL

these gonna hurt!!! LOL

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
enkidu, thank you for the frank review. highly appreciate it.

i have just been bitten by pam300 LOL! let's see if i can get one for you to review... got minute marker!  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

pam341 also another poison in my blood vein LOL

these gonna hurt!!! LOL

Sure, if you can get your hands on the Mare Nostrum, I'll be more than happy to write a review for you. But you'll have to lend it to me for a week.  ;D No credit will be withheld. Likewise, no punches will be spared.

Hahaha...good luck on your new object of interest. You know, people are strange sometimes. The more other people criticise something, the more they will want to have that thing. Just like a controversial book or movie. If it is not banned, nobody cares. Once banned, people will flock to read or watch. 

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Loo,

Are you working secretly for Panerai using reverse psychology in stirring up the brand ?

[/quote]
You know, people are strange sometimes. The more other people criticise something, the more they will want to have that thing. Just like a controversial book or movie. If it is not banned, nobody cares. Once banned, people will flock to read or watch.
[/quote]
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Loo,

Are you working secretly for Panerai using reverse psychology in stirring up the brand ?

Aaaahhhhhh.....now I see the a real horology connoisseur talking. With the economy going down every where, some drastic measures are permissible... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline kiamat

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
Loo,

You know, people are strange sometimes. The more other people criticise something, the more they will want to have that thing. Just like a controversial book or movie. If it is not banned, nobody cares. Once banned, people will flock to read or watch.
[/quote]
[/quote]

enkidu panerai ambassador?!?!?! :shocked1: :Startled: :shocked1: :Startled: :shocked1: :Startled:
he has the wrist size though  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 02:54:11 PM »
enkidu panerai ambassador?!?!?! :shocked1: :Startled: :shocked1: :Startled: :shocked1: :Startled:
he has the wrist size though  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Hush....hush....my friend. Don't speak too loud. Not when some other forum people are monitoring us with sonar, radar etc.....Radio silence please. Otherwise our grand design will go down the abyss.  ;D

BTW Joseph, I just put up a hefty deposit for a watch the brand of which you are familiar with. Should get the watch at the end of this month or early next. Will disclose next time we meet. Hope to get your stamp of approval and comments.  :thumbsup:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

Makes u an me buddy... makes u and me... hahaha
I play around with all my watches' resting overnight positions to make sure all of them runs within 1 second of each other... if not... I get annoyed...

Some would call it anal...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
My stamp of approval ? woahhhhh... dun see me so high wor.. :o :-[

hmmm... I'm only familiar with a few brands...as you know..
Can't wait to check out your watch when it arrives, though...do let me know..  :thumbsup:

BTW Joseph, I just put up a hefty deposit for a watch the brand of which you are familiar with. Should get the watch at the end of this month or early next. Will disclose next time we meet. Hope to get your stamp of approval and comments.  :thumbsup:
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.