Author Topic: Impromptu invitation to a gathering at Fahrenheit earlier today  (Read 16494 times)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Impromptu invitation to a gathering at Fahrenheit earlier today
« on: November 10, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
A poor compact cam pic of watches brought by a few MWF members at an impromptu gathering at Fahrenheit this afternoon and some of us went watch window-shopping afterwards.
Finally put a face behind some of the nicks in mwf…
The poor Ananta GMT Spring Drive.. an unwanted child so it was placed on its side…Peter you are cruel…. :mooning: :Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:31:35 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Impromptu invitation to a gathering at Fahrenheit earlier today
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 02:26:03 PM »
Nice pieces, but, I am guessing here, the moon watch is upside down to show the movement?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
Hi Ivan,
actually the owner was wearing the moonwatch with the display back showing on his wrist… wanna guess who?  ;D
He was using his hp for timekeeping... :Laughing_on_floor:

Nice pieces, but, I am guessing here, the moon watch is upside down to show the movement?
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
Hi Ivan,
actually the owner was wearing the moonwatch with the display back showing on his wrist… wanna guess who?  ;D
He was using his hp for timekeeping... :Laughing_on_floor:

Hi,

I have no idea, please do tell.....

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 03:31:45 PM »
pai seh, pai seh, it was yours truly... ;D

Offline 7thfort

• Yeehah
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »

Wow! Eagle Eyes.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
pai seh, pai seh, it was yours truly... ;D

Nice way to prevent bezel scratches..  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 09:40:26 PM »
scratches? where, where?

woi, Seller, refund refund !  :Scolding:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 10:46:46 PM »
Oh crap should have taken cash :P

But it was a nice GTG today.
Kiamat, Enkidu, JOS2012, DavidCheong, Alvin, Danny. Great to meet JOS for the first time

Drooling over the GSs!
Next round is the traditional mechanical GS ;D

As for Alvin wearing the Speedy, thats how MWF members roll y'all  ;D

This is what i like and am sure all MWF members are in the forum for. Sharing our passion and sharing our prized pieces.

My first time seeing this piece. Just as i imagined, stunning :Dancing_banana:

JOS, at least here the Ananta show face  :P
Today's Spring Drive trio. The diver is awesome also!

Omega SM300 Ti tumpang  :P

The Ananta hard to have it sit up right leh....but the curve of the strap and case/lugs make this piece very wearable.

OMG who is this fella with the PAM on his wrist? :o
Rolex & PAM brotha brotha happy together  ;D

Last but not least when we were in the Rolex boutique i uncle to the max wei :o

As nice as the Pelagos is, not for me at this price.
The Ti is nice, DO NOT like the buckle design as novel as it is. :-\
For the same price +1k i would get me a GS handwind :Dancing_banana:

Nice meeting you guys and hope more members call GTG even if just few of us.
Take the initiative and more will follow.
 :Cheers:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:59:03 AM »
I noticed the 3 GS are running at EXACTLY the same time down to the seconds...
An owner that's particular about accuracy I suppose?  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
2 GS & 1 Ananta  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:04:17 AM by takashi78 »

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
yea hanz,

I noticed them too…. they are synchronised down to the second.

You got some real sick people around…. :Blue:

Nauseating isn't it..?  :Laughing_on_floor:

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 09:58:53 AM by JOS2012 »

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
yea hanz,

I noticed them too…. they are synchronised down to the second.

You got some real sick people around…. :Blue:

Nauseating isn't it..?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Makes u an me buddy... makes u and me... hahaha
I play around with all my watches' resting overnight positions to make sure all of them runs within 1 second of each other... if not... I get annoyed...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
High Five then.. :Cheers: ;D

[/quote]
Makes u an me buddy... makes u and me... hahaha
I play around with all my watches' resting overnight positions to make sure all of them runs within 1 second of each other... if not... I get annoyed...
[/quote]

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 05:34:25 PM »

High light of the day !!!

Enkidu wearing a PAM
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:59:47 PM by chrisyen »

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
Awww wished i would able to make it  :'(

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
I see you do a mean Gangnam Style there Ekindu. So in this case is it strap classy watches and dance cheesy or cheesy both way round?

Btw, I also wanna be uncle with that 116528. Lovely dial.

OMG who is this fella with the PAM on his wrist? :o
Rolex & PAM brotha brotha happy together  ;D

Last but not least when we were in the Rolex boutique i uncle to the max wei :o

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline takashi78

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
Terrence,

This one too "yellow".
Now the Everose version is sweet!!!
I would so rock that if i can afford.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »

Enkidu wearing a PAM

Credit has to go to Kiamat who was generous enough to allow me lots of wrist time with that PAM 425 during the GTG. In fact, I think I can even write a mini-review below:

Great Points:
- Legibility is superb! Second to none. You can see the hands from 20 meters away I am sure.
- The matt dial, the hands and the domed crystal (sapphire??) collectively give the watch a really vintage feel.
- The winding is very smooth. Right up till the end, very little resistance. Perhaps the wearer needs to exercise some caution here otherwise the watch may be over-wound with damaging consequences to the mainspring!
- The leather strap, you ask?? nice and thick, wears comfortably round the wrist. A little short for a chubby fellow like me, but should be more than enough for the rest of mortal beings here in Malaysia.
- Watch has a nice weight, not too light, not too heavy, sits very comfortably on the wrist. Does not wobble around.
- Accuracy ==> sorry, can't tell. No minute markers and second hand. Need a beat meter definitely. No use trying to synch the time to TV1, TV2, TV3 news or BBC's time signal. This has its advantage. Great watch during a holiday! Best watch to be worn on the wrist of the arm which you intend to put round a bikini-clad sex goddess on a lonely scenic beach one leisurely weekend away from your wife, listening to the roar of the ocean waves, under a shady coconut tree with a few pints of beer as your other companion.

Now, the Bad points:
- No minute markers (or second markers if you are JOS). The torpedo will strike at 2.52pm? Sorry, can't tell that from my watch. Make it strike at 2.55pm please. Definitely not for people working at CERN or NASA.
-  Inconsistency of design. Whilst the dial, domed crystal and patina on hands give the front of the watch a vintage feel, the view of the movement through the see-through case-back is like a dash board from Captain Kirk's Enterprise.
- The "torpedo" marking on the dial seems to be sinking into the abyss. Please make it horizontal when the "P" series are out. Thank you.

Overall Results:

Let's see.....I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10.    :laugh: 

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
Sorry when i think of a watch that resembles anything like Captain Kirk...
THIS is what i think of...ohhh drooollll..... :o

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
deBethune…..lovely…

Offline takashi78

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 09:11:36 PM »
JOS,

I am having trouble explaining to my friend about the unique reset of your GS Chrono hands.
Do you have a video or link to any site that has one?

Or can you explain it to the members?

I can understand why you like to play with it alot.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
hi Peter,
Sorry I don't have a video but I've seen Youtube videos showing the activation of the chrono for the SBGC003 you are referring to. google Youtube for Grand Seiko SBGC003

Actually I last saw this same action with my friend's ceramic IWC Rattrapante second hand reset. It works exactly the same.

When you reset the second hand, it swings backwards from where it had stopped, past the 60 sec mark into the 57-58 sec mark then goes back past the 60 sec mark then back to 57-58 sec mark before settling precisely on the 60  sec mark.. Its just cute… Almost every other Chrono reset goes directly back to the 60 sec mark in 1 action. No tech advantage either way..

Why r u talking abt the second hand reset…there are more impt features of the watch apart from that..:)

Go buy one….
take a flight to Bangkok Chid Lom… there's a fantastic GS Master Shop therethat stocks all the top models.… great looking female sales staff and good discounts too..

JOS,

I am having trouble explaining to my friend about the unique reset of your GS Chrono hands.
Do you have a video or link to any site that has one?

Or can you explain it to the members?

I can understand why you like to play with it alot.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 08:05:33 AM »

Enkidu wearing a PAM

Credit has to go to Kiamat who was generous enough to allow me lots of wrist time with that PAM 425 during the GTG. In fact, I think I can even write a mini-review below:

Great Points:
- Legibility is superb! Second to none. You can see the hands from 20 meters away I am sure.
- The matt dial, the hands and the domed crystal (sapphire??) collectively give the watch a really vintage feel.
- The winding is very smooth. Right up till the end, very little resistance. Perhaps the wearer needs to exercise some caution here otherwise the watch may be over-wound with damaging consequences to the mainspring!
- The leather strap, you ask?? nice and thick, wears comfortably round the wrist. A little short for a chubby fellow like me, but should be more than enough for the rest of mortal beings here in Malaysia.
- Watch has a nice weight, not too light, not too heavy, sits very comfortably on the wrist. Does not wobble around.
- Accuracy ==> sorry, can't tell. No minute markers and second hand. Need a beat meter definitely. No use trying to synch the time to TV1, TV2, TV3 news or BBC's time signal. This has its advantage. Great watch during a holiday! Best watch to be worn on the wrist of the arm which you intend to put round a bikini-clad sex goddess on a lonely scenic beach one leisurely weekend away from your wife, listening to the roar of the ocean waves, under a shady coconut tree with a few pints of beer as your other companion.

Now, the Bad points:
- No minute markers (or second markers if you are JOS). The torpedo will strike at 2.52pm? Sorry, can't tell that from my watch. Make it strike at 2.55pm please. Definitely not for people working at CERN or NASA.
-  Inconsistency of design. Whilst the dial, domed crystal and patina on hands give the front of the watch a vintage feel, the view of the movement through the see-through case-back is like a dash board from Captain Kirk's Enterprise.
- The "torpedo" marking on the dial seems to be sinking into the abyss. Please make it horizontal when the "P" series are out. Thank you.

Overall Results:

Hallelujah!!! Enkidu is singing praises for pam... there is hope after all... hahaha

Offline legendofcondor87

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 09:59:27 AM »

Enkidu wearing a PAM

Great Points:

Now, the Bad points:

Overall Results:

:shocked1: :shocked1: :shocked1: :shocked1: :shocked1: :shocked1: :shocked1: