Author Topic: 10 Tips for 1st time Rolex Buyer (Buying from AD)  (Read 7735 times)

Offline The Godzilla

10 Tips for 1st time Rolex Buyer (Buying from AD)
« on: October 24, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
I'm no expert in Rolex but what I want to share here is based on my experience when I bought my 1st Rolex.

1. Always ask for discount (there MUST be a discount, be it 5% to 10%) I got mine for [Discount removed as per forum rules - Mod] off RRP.

2. If you don't feel like paying Cash in one go, always ask for EPP (Easy Payment Plan), all those big chain like [AD name removed as per forum rules - Mod] have EPP. I got a 18 months EPP

3. Always ask for "factory sealed" unit, and never get the "display" unit (unless you like your Rolex to be touched, molested by few dozens people) AD will always said this is the last unit, Popular model like Sub, GMT can be the case, but no harm trying to ask and get a "factory sealed" unit.

4. Choose the best box, don't let the AD simply get an old box to you (if your Rolex is the last unit then sorry, they came with designated box) remember it must be a double box.

5. Get the price tag, red tag (COSC) some AD will take away the price tag (if you have both tags, your resale value is secured, some buyer prefer the "total" package)

6. You may ask your AD about what is EasyLink, GlideLock and etc But don't let your AD to demonstrate the operation of EasyLink and GlideLock, some AD might not really know how to operate it and pretend to be knowledgeable and opened up the EasyLink and GlideLock with brutal force. *Let's just say AD will not give a damn about the Rolex that you are going to buy so they will always not be gentle on your Rolex.

7. Never Never let your AD size your Rolex (unless your AD is very expert, skillful and gentle on your Rolex) I personally saw it with my own eyes that the so called Store Manager sizing a customer's Rolex with brutal force to open the links screw and scratched the links. (I don't let my AD size it, I sized it myself, just use a 1.6mm screwdriver)

8. Never let your AD to set the time and especially the date for you (some AD have no idea on setting the date between a Men DateJust and a Lady DateJust)

9. Always ask for freebies (Catalogs, watch pouch, watch cleaning clothes, calendars, magazines and whatever you dare to ask)

10. Go Home and enjoy your Rolex  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:16:17 PM by takashi78 »

Offline lowengen

Re: 10 Tips for 1st time Rolex Buyer (Buying from AD)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »
I'm no expert in Rolex but what I want to share here is based on my experience when I bought my 1st Rolex.

1. Always ask for discount (there MUST be a discount, be it 5% to 10%) I got mine for [Discount removed as per forum rules - Mod] off RRP.

2. If you don't feel like paying Cash in one go, always ask for EPP (Easy Payment Plan), all those big chain like [AD name removed as per forum rules - Mod] have EPP. I got a 18 months EPP

3. Always ask for "factory sealed" unit, and never get the "display" unit (unless you like your Rolex to be touched, molested by few dozens people) AD will always said this is the last unit, Popular model like Sub, GMT can be the case, but no harm trying to ask and get a "factory sealed" unit.

4. Choose the best box, don't let the AD simply get an old box to you (if your Rolex is the last unit then sorry, they came with designated box) remember it must be a double box.

5. Get the price tag, red tag (COSC) some AD will take away the price tag (if you have both tags, your resale value is secured, some buyer prefer the "total" package)

6. You may ask your AD about what is EasyLink, GlideLock and etc But don't let your AD to demonstrate the operation of EasyLink and GlideLock, some AD might not really know how to operate it and pretend to be knowledgeable and opened up the EasyLink and GlideLock with brutal force. *Let's just say AD will not give a damn about the Rolex that you are going to buy so they will always not be gentle on your Rolex.

7. Never Never let your AD size your Rolex (unless your AD is very expert, skillful and gentle on your Rolex) I personally saw it with my own eyes that the so called Store Manager sizing a customer's Rolex with brutal force to open the links screw and scratched the links. (I don't let my AD size it, I sized it myself, just use a 1.6mm screwdriver)

8. Never let your AD to set the time and especially the date for you (some AD have no idea on setting the date between a Men DateJust and a Lady DateJust)

9. Always ask for freebies (Catalogs, watch pouch, watch cleaning clothes, calendars, magazines and whatever you dare to ask)

10. Go Home and enjoy your Rolex  :thumbsup:

Nice tips.. although I will not be getting a Rollie that soon... However, so agree with point 8.

Again, although not Rollie, I got a watch recently, and let the AD set the time... and guess what... It waz fast by 10mins.. =.="
And, the best thing, after a day, I realised it was actually late by 12 hours and 10 mins =.=" (time passed 12, but didn't change date)

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 01:31:58 PM »
I got my daytona at a premium . When i check with EU countries, the price was not much difference . regards tony..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
Get it from a grey dealer and get double the discount you can get from an AD. And the grey is usually a lot more knowledgeable about the watch than the staff at ADs.

BTW, Godzilla, how's the wife enjoying it??  ;)  ;)  Care to post some reviews as I'm in the market for one and time is running out (aka.. birthday coming up really soon).

Offline rusminag

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
My tip.... Never by new...he...he...he...
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
Some purchases need to be new..  ;)  ;)

But the Ladies Datejust 31mm is quite hard to find pre-owned and the price difference between used and grey is minimal.

Offline The Godzilla

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 03:31:22 PM »
BTW, Godzilla, how's the wife enjoying it??  ;)  ;)  Care to post some reviews as I'm in the market for one and time is running out (aka.. birthday coming up really soon).

The wife really crazy about the DJ 31mm, I became her servant to clean, wash and take care of her Rolex and she just wear it.

Model 178274 - Silver Dial, Fluted Bezel, Jubilee

Last unit at AD, other 178274 was too bling with diamonds and big Romans dial, not her type.

Offline horomas

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
Agreed,never buy new.Last time I bought a new watch was way back in 2008 ,an IWC pilot chrono.Never looked back since :Dancing_banana: :Cheers:

Offline kenixck

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
all my prayers goes to the salesperson.  :Praying:

Apart from being new, one of the reasons people buy from AD is because that they want to get invited into "the rich" circle.
I heard it from a few OKBs / nouveau riche personally.
Considered it a introduction fee to the lifestyle of rich and famous.
As most rich people are not "stupid" and very calculative to the last penny.
They will search high and low for the best deal either locally/overseas.

Not to be taken too seriously, please consider this a weekend comic.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:28 AM »
A new rollie sports  watch is a better buy if you plan to keep it or keep it for some one.. After keeping or wearing the rolex sports watches[except yacht master]  for 8 yrs from new, who have made a loss if its still in over 90% condition ??Some people are selling their 2008 sub for a profit today. A new rollie watch always have many pros n only 2 cons(Buying new is more exp. , will lose much when selling soon after purchase) 
Agreed,never buy new.Last time I bought a new watch was way back in 2008 ,an IWC pilot chrono.Never looked back since :Dancing_banana: :Cheers:
regards tony

Offline deliq3

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
A new rollie sports  watch is a better buy if you plan to keep it or keep it for some one.. After keeping or wearing the rolex sports watches[except yacht master]  for 8 yrs from new, who have made a loss if its still in over 90% condition ??Some people are selling their 2008 sub for a profit today. A new rollie watch always have many pros n only 2 cons(Buying new is more exp. , will lose much when selling soon after purchase) 
regards tony

how "soon" is your soon?

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:30:16 PM »
Read between the lines..
regards tony

how "soon" is your soon?

Offline Calibr

Warranty: 10 Tips for 1st time Rolex Buyer (Buying from AD)
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:17 AM »
Get it from a grey dealer and get double the discount you can get from an AD. And the grey is usually a lot more knowledgeable about the watch than the staff at ADs.

Just curious, will the local RSC at Menara Dion honor the warranty of a Rolex bought from a grey dealer? The grey dealer would likely bought it from an overseas AD, with the warranty card stating its name and date of purchase. Will the RSC just accept the warranty card with the stated date of purchase without looking at the overseas AD's cash bill/invoice (which the grey dealer would keep)? Thanks.  ??? ???

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Warranty: 10 Tips for 1st time Rolex Buyer (Buying from AD)
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 07:24:39 AM »

Just curious, will the local RSC at Menara Dion honor the warranty of a Rolex bought from a grey dealer? The grey dealer would likely bought it from an overseas AD, with the warranty card stating its name and date of purchase. Will the RSC just accept the warranty card with the stated date of purchase without looking at the overseas AD's cash bill/invoice (which the grey dealer would keep)? Thanks.  ??? ???
Just bring the valid warranty card along. Rolex has international warranty.