Author Topic: Seiko Solar Chronograph Scuba Diver's 200M SSC017P1  (Read 9203 times)

Offline jefflwc

• Freshie
Seiko Solar Chronograph Scuba Diver's 200M SSC017P1
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
I've got this watch a couple of days back, and I'm going to put up a review on this.

This is Seiko's Solar powered Chronograph Scuba Diver's watch, rated at 200M. As it's name suggests, it's movement (Seiko's Cal V175) is solar powered and it is Quartz. It measures about 43.5mm, some sites would just put it as 44mm. This is how it looks on my 6.5 inches wrist:

Traditionally, Seiko's solar powered watches cannot escape from having it's solar 'collector' being visible on its dial. With this though, try as hard as I may, I could not possibly find any sign of that on the dial. The manual says, at full charge it will have a 6 months power reserve.

Being a rated diver, the watch has a screw in crown, and both the Chrono pushers have a screwed in collar as well. From what I gather, these screw in pushers does not increases water resistance, they merely serves to prevent accidental pushes of the button under water. It has a smooth clicky 120 clicks unidirectional bezel, which the clicking actions reminds me of my seiko skx 007k.

The dial is a matt black one, devoid of any decorations what so ever and that increases legibility. There are 3 sub dials, one for the running second's hand (lumed tip) at the 9'o clock position. There's also a 24hours indicator at the 3'o clock position. And a 60 minutes counter/collector for the chrono at 6 'o clock. The crystal is Seiko's Hardlex, typical with any of the brand's diver.

The lume, in my opinion are slightly better than my SKX007 as well.

Case work seemed decent for what its worth, combination of brushed and polished finish. Sides are polished, and the lugs have both brushed and polished finish. The lugs are 20mm and I wonder why Seiko did not give it a 22mm which in my opinion fits the size of the case. At least it will look more 'balanced'.

Bracelet's solid stainless steel affair, with alternates of brushed and polished finish as well. Although i'd prefer it to be completed brushed. I can foresee that it'll be a scratch magnet, especially the glitzy parts. End links are folded.

Signed Seiko clasp, and it does come with a diver's extension as well.

The case back as the usual Seiko's Tsunami logo signifying that it is a proper diver. A further inscription says 'Air Diver' indicates that this cannot be used in Saturation diving.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this, and I think, as usual with Seikos, you do get a lot of watch for your money.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 04:22:32 PM by jefflwc »

Offline Laktos Kid

Re: Seiko Solar Chronograph Scuba Diver's 200M SSC017P1
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:36 PM »
it looks like a solid watch and brand like Seiko really gives you bang in the buck product, i have a seiko military chrono, a daily beater never let me down. Enjoy your new watch  :thumbsup:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Surprised it doesn't look too big on your wrist, enjoy it. regards tony. :thumbsup:

Offline Alvin-8880

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:26:37 PM »
Jeff, mind telling me the damage. Thx in advance.  :thumbsup:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:19:29 AM »
Nice review!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline shahpijul

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
love this watch  :P , PM me the damage pls if u don't mind...  ;D ,and nice review  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline bchan28

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
I have the same watch as well...Wearing it today.. :Cheers:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
Hi, Jeff,

Nice review!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One question though.....what's your opinion of the bezel? Nice firm and loud clicking sound as you turn it? Does it turn too easily or do you need to apply lots of force before it turns? These are important considerations for me when I buy a diver.

Any opinion?

Offline jefflwc

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:21:07 AM »
Hi,

It's not really that firm, where you need to apply force. It is smooth and clicks into place, like I've mentioned it is exactly as per my Seiko SKX007K diver. So I'm not sure if that is OK for you. Though it will not easily moved during day to day wearing.

Also, I've not handled other divers, so I'd suggest that you go to the shop and test it out yourself  :Cheers:

Hi, Jeff,

Nice review!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One question though.....what's your opinion of the bezel? Nice firm and loud clicking sound as you turn it? Does it turn too easily or do you need to apply lots of force before it turns? These are important considerations for me when I buy a diver.

Any opinion?

Offline bchan28

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:22 AM »
Nice review. I got the same watch and also the pepsi bezel one as well....I change the blue one to rubber strap.  :Dancing_banana:

Offline JayJay

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
 :i like it

How much