Author Topic: Japan Tour (Sakura season)  (Read 8481 times)

Offline lowengen

Japan Tour (Sakura season)
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
Hi all,

Planning for a Japan trip with my wife next year...
However, we want to go during the Sakura season... anyone has any idea when will that be? Some say around March to April, some say around April to May...

Also, isit better to go solo (air ticket + self tour) or go with tour trips?
Still wonder... Our budget is around RM12K for 2 person.. is that enough?

Offline RaymondT

Re: Japan Tour (Sakura season)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Was in Japan (Osaka) recently, free n easy . We arranged a local tour guide to tour us around Kyoto,Nara & Kobe. You can check out the site http://www.toursbylocals.com/.

Depending on where you will be going , 12K spending money would just be nice but if inclusive of flight & hotel may just be good to scrap by. You really need to go on a budget mode.

For comparison sake (our MYR is really small) says 1 small mineral water you can get here for RM1 , you may need to pay RM 4. Almost everything including food & travel you need to multiply that by 4x. You'll get the picture of how expensive it is there. Cheapest subway train ticket (1 stop) would cost you about 200Y (RM 8).

Offline lowengen

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:15:52 PM »
Wowz?
So basically the food there is expensive?
Guess following tour is cheaper than? as they have included meals.. lol
Furthermore, isit nicer to go Osaka or Tokyo?
Waz planing to go Tokyo, but alot of news / rumors saying Tokyo is dangerous with all those radiation and etc etc...

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »
I don't see ppl wearing radiation suit or something. Everything seems to be business as usual there. There even places with higher radiation i.e. Korea & Hong Kong compared to Sendai (fukushima plant) , try googling it, can't really recall which site that did a comparison

Offline lowengen

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Ahh... lets hope so...
xP
they say, once "get" d radiation, cannot get pregnant for 3 yrs =.="
but, any idea when is their Sakura season?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:56 PM »
I think ard end April ... Mid may end at Hokkaido
As for free n easy

Near Tokyo n Kyoto is easy, jus done it early this yr

Only advise - transportation expensive so find gd hotel at gd location is advised
Do more study help... 2 days subway ticket cheaper than a day... Than a trip...

http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,5876.0.html

Offline lowengen

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
Nicee...
Yea, I heard that too... To get a hotel nearby to the train station is a ++
Guess need to go study properly...
Thanks alot!

Offline sm

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
Sakura season vary from north to south n sometime in April. The announcement will come somewhere in march and cherry blosom will lasts 10 days. If you prebooked your trip, you have to keep your fingers crossed.

Tokyo is easy to move around however you will have to spend time walking and getting to the subway- it will eat into your itinerary.

For Hakone and Kyoto, it is better to join a tour. These two places is a 'must' if you are in Tokyo.

Naturally, food is much higher but then we only need 3/4 meals a day only.

Google n check out the local tour agency and may you have a great time.

Offline lowengen

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:05:50 AM »
Will do so..
Actually, during the past month, there was an AirAsia sale for Japan air ticket..
But was worried that if get air ticket, can i still get ground tour from MATTA fair? can they match the dates?

Offline sm

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
Well you have to do some homework on ground arrangement. If this is your 1st trip to Japan, surely you will love it. Japan at its best is sakura time or autumn leaves season. Find time to enjoy their hot spring too, plenty around Hakone. Google.

Sm

Offline lowengen

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 07:13:24 AM »
yea, guess will have alot of home work to do..
n love to go experience the hot springs.. xP

Offline zen

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
I stayed in Japan(Tokyo, Hakone, Nagano, Kyoto, Osaka, Hokaido, etc) for 5 yrs back in late 80's - early 90's and went back to Kyoto last 2week ago for Autumn leaf(disappointed) but I have fun and fond memories of yester years.
Sakura season is from mid April to May but there is early/late season every year depending on weather and location. Safe bet is end of April, I guess. Best park to view Sakura will be Ueno park in Tokyo. You can take Yamanote Line train ( this train run in circle around Tokyo city) and stop at Ueno station. It's just a few minute walk from the exit. Warning: Do not get lost in this huge and amazing station.  Goggle Tokyo train map. It's the green line in circle/oblong shape at the center.
If you and your wife are adventurous, I suggest you free and easy tour. There is more to discover in and around Tokyo and within your budget. For staying, you can book into any Ryokan(guest house) which is cheaper and experience the life of Japanese culture. Food is everywhere in Tokyo. Just go in and point at menu of what you want to eat (assuming you can't speak Japanese). Don't worry, they won't slash throat, knowing you are foreigner.
If you need any contact in Japan (Malaysian who are working in one of Japanese IT company for 6years), I can give you my friend contact. I'm not sure of any charges but you can deal direct with him through email.
Pssssttttt: I can be Japan tourist ambassador/guide. Anyone, want to buy my stay in Japan. Lol

Offline lowengen

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
Lol.... Thx 4 info.... Will study properly before going....

Offline Ledzep

• Freshie
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
Avoid the taxis and take subway train u should be able to stay in yr budget.