Author Topic: Parting ways is never an easy thing to do.....  (Read 10093 times)

Offline foowy

Parting ways is never an easy thing to do.....
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
My Seiko "twins" shall be dearly missed. But I know its the right thing to do. Thank you for the many years of joy and pleasure you both have given me. But now it is time to give the same joy to your new found master... sniff...

A final wrist shot before handing them over to their new owner this afternoon

Will I regret selling these wonderful Seiko "twins"? I suspect I probably might one day.

Often the "regret" question has been asked before and I've never thought much about it because I thought I would never sell my watches. But the last month I have been letting go a few pieces to consolidate my collection. Simple a case of not enough hands and time to wear them all. For now I know it is the only right thing to do instead of keeping them in my watch box and winding them up occasionally. I would rather them be out there in the wild...all wound up and serving its new owner

Never had a chance to share them with you Seiko guys here on MWF, so at least one last chance to do so now.

Anyone else want to share their dearly missed watches or watches they regretted selling?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Parting ways is never an easy thing to do.....
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:55 PM »
yes... i did.... but what to do? my father nvr give me $$$.... n i nvr earn enuf $$$ to keep all

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
Lovely classic Seikos. Can u share which year they were from n d calibres. How was the timekeeping?
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline foowy

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:00 PM »
These were the manual winding Caliber 66 (17jewels).

Real workhorses....I've got them for 6years and never serviced them, but both works fantastic whenever i wind them up. Within the limits of +-10sec considering the watch is nearly 50years old, I'd say that's impressive.

Offline kwh74

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:01:24 AM »
Parting is not a easy thing to do but well is a part of life.  This is what i let off for the past 1 year..

And now left with below

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:26:32 AM by kwh74 »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »

Wow, you had a 15J Seiko 91RW railroad pocket watch. Really rare and lovely.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I sold a number of my seiko divers over the SCWF in 2010 and 2011. Regrets? Yes, especially with regard to the two 6105 divers which had been in my collection for quite a while. It will hard to buy these at a decent price and good condition these days. 

Offline foowy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 04:51:05 PM »
WOW.....KWH74....you have a fantastic Seiko collection....those chronographs are highly sought after. Must have been real tough letting them go....such is life, like you said.

I really like the Seiko Lord Marvel & Citizen Watch

Thanks for sharing

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »
Lost in an accident

photo from a recent popular auctions site.

THIS IS NOT MY PHOTO

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Something that can't be replace, it was my father's watch until he handed to me about 17 years ago.

I messed up bad.  >:(

Regards
Tyler

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:41:49 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
Lost in an accident

Something that can't be replace, it was my father's watch until he handed to me about 20 years ago.

Regards
Tyler

Isn't that the exact 7T32 seiko chrono posted by Spardas2 (from Spain) on the bay a few weeks ago and sold for USD133.50?? Watch was made in 1995, just 17 years ago.

Found the listing: Ebay No: 251156834872. Maybe you should claim it back from him........ :laugh:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 11:54:18 AM by Enkidu »

Offline harkensng

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
Lost in an accident

Something that can't be replace, it was my father's watch until he handed to me about 20 years ago.

Regards
Tyler

Godzillaz, that seiko is a rare titanium spirit alarm chronograph. Watch was made in 1995 from it's serial numbers on backcase shown in the **ay auction. And was sold on **ay on 4 oct 2012. the selling price is quite high because it's a rarity. chrograph alarm + spirit + titanium!

the photo you pasted on 20 oct is from the **ay auction that is already ended on 4 oct, so it cannot be your watch!

if you use a photo from another person, you must say so. whether or not you have permission from the owner does not matter. you have to say it is not your photo. if not people will just think it is your photo. maybe this practice is not strong in malaysia so foreigners always think we have no respect for copyright! It is worse when you say you lost the watch in an accident! people may get confusing and think the **ay seller was trying to sell lost or illegal items. this is irresponsible.

like you said yourself: you messed up bad! :thumbsdown:

God bless and have nice weekend!

- harken

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 07:40:33 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, hackensng and Enkidu.

I have edited my original post to give proper credit to the owner of the photo and an apology to the owner for my negligence.

My watch (same model but not show in photo) is lost 2 years ago in a pool accident. Water got into the watch and it was beyond repair. As the watch was a gift from my father. He got it as a sign of good faith from his Japanese client. It was special as my father never handed me any of his watch before.

It's not something expansive but the event meant a lot to me.

Regards
Tyler

Offline foowy

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »

Somethings...money just can't buy.

With so much sentimental value, even if it doesn't work, You're still keeping it rite

I have edited my original post to give proper credit to the owner of the photo and an apology to the owner for my negligence.

My watch (same model but not show in photo) is lost 2 years ago in a pool accident. Water got into the watch and it was beyond repair. As the watch was a gift from my father. He got it as a sign of good faith from his Japanese client. It was special as my father never handed me any of his watch before.

Regards
Tyler

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
It's gone  :'( . Or else I would posted a photo of it instead of borrowing the photo above.

With so much sentimental value, even if it doesn't work, You're still keeping it rite

Regards
Tyler

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:00:52 AM »
It's gone  :'( . Or else I would posted a photo of it instead of borrowing the photo above.

Regards
Tyler

Watch is gone????::) ::) Foowy is correct. If the watch is as sentimental as described, you should still keep it even if it's not working.

And it's not difficult to solve the problem.

The Seiko 7T32 is a very hardy movement which can take lots of punishment. If it is just swimming pool water, just open the case back and blow gently with hair dryer set at "Level 1" for 10-15 minutes. Should be as good as new after that. If one is so unlucky that the movement has gone kaput, then fastest solution is just send it to Thongsia for replacement of the 7T32 chrono module. Should be about RM 120 (in 2004, maybe more now). But the friendly ladies manning the service counter at Thongsia will normally tell you "no stock", "out of production", "tsunami in japan", "earthquake in japan", "chinese ships sailing to diaoyu islands", .......etc all sorts of unbelievable excuses. Then the next solution is just find an old 7T32 chrono, remove the movement and plunck it into your watch!!! Taaaadaaaaaaaaa......as good as new (and I'm sure your dad will not even realise it).

Money spent is nothing if it is true the watch has sentimental value.

Offline harkensng

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

The Seiko 7T32 is a very hardy movement which can take lots of punishment. If it is just swimming pool water, just open the case back and blow gently with hair dryer set at "Level 1" for 10-15 minutes. Should be as good as new after that. If one is so unlucky that the movement has gone kaput, then fastest solution is just send it to Thongsia for replacement of the 7T32 chrono module. Should be about RM 120 (in 2004, maybe more now). But the friendly ladies manning the service counter at Thongsia will normally tell you "no stock", "out of production", "tsunami in japan", "earthquake in japan", "chinese ships sailing to diaoyu islands", .......etc all sorts of unbelievable excuses. Then the next solution is just find an old 7T32 chrono, remove the movement and plunck it into your watch!!! Taaaadaaaaaaaaa......as good as new (and I'm sure your dad will not even realise it).

Best answer ever & my exact thoughts also...Bro, you are a true WIS!  :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

God bless....

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I really do wish I still have the watch but the problem is not the movement it's the dial. The dial had rusted and all the tritium/luminova had puffed up like popcorn.

Only after I threw it away that I realized that I should have kept it anyway. At the time I thought that electronic board were not as fixable as mechanical parts hence me chucking the watch.

Well ... ... lesson learned.

Regards
Tyler

Regards
Tyler

Watch is gone????::) ::) Foowy is correct. If the watch is as sentimental as described, you should still keep it even if it's not working.

Offline harkensng

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
did not want to keep to this issue any farther, but high quality Seiko dial can get rusty after contacting swimpool water? I have to see it to believe it! 
:Confused: :Confused: :Confused:  :Confused:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:48 PM »
You may do some experiment but I wouldn't recommend it  ;)

Regard
Tyler

did not want to keep to this issue any farther, but high quality Seiko dial can get rusty after contacting swimpool water? I have to see it to believe it! 
:Confused: :Confused: :Confused:  :Confused: