Author Topic: Opinion needed  (Read 9798 times)

Offline David_cheong

Opinion needed
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:36:54 AM »
Dear People

My IWC - ingenieur, ref 3521 stopped operational for about half an hour while driving back home from work last evening. The watch is still working fine during my dinner time at about 8.00pm at the PJ State.

And upon reaching home, that’s when my house grandfather clock strike 9 gong (9.00pm).  Naturally I glance at my IWC and its dial read -  8.30pm and the second hand stopped moving. And after a few gentle shakes, it comes alive again. But it stopped again at approx. 10.30pm. And I have been wearing the IWC since it’s purchased – 2 weeks ago.

Now my dilemma, shall I sent it back to Wong Kim for rectification works – as the watch is still under house warranty and with open papers from the Cortina.

a) I fear that Wong Kim would not do a proper job as I got this watch with a huge discount, hence his profit margin is minimal and thus resort to ‘cutting corners’ to justify repairing the watch properly / or in good faith.. (With option A, I save cost on my part with no extra expenses)

b) Or shall I sent the watch to Ah Lam (at the Summit) to give it a through (proper) service at my own expenses – where I have my peace of mind knowing the watch is being properly taken care of. Actually, I do not mind spending a little extra to have my watch tip-top (You know how our WIS mind works). After all, the watch is already 10 years old and high time needed for a complete service. (With option B, Cost incurred at my expenses)

c) Send it back to Cortina (with open papers) for rectification works.  I do not have the bill of purchase.
How do this ‘open paper’ works anyway? . There is small scuff on the back opening case (presumably opened by Wong Kim to verify the movement – before trading in from the first owner).
And this minor scuff on the back case may just void the warranty from Cortina. (With option C, It may cost a bomb as normal service at authorised Dealer would)

All opinions / suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Thank you for your time reading the above.

DC
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:47:14 AM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline sshark

Re: Opinion needed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 09:09:04 AM »
This is one of the few dilemmas we watch owners hate to encounter.

For a ten years old or more  watch, IMO, the AD probably will not service the watch for free unless you can produce proof that the watch was purchased recently (within warranty period). Option (C) is out if you don't intend to pay the high price the AD charging.

I would go with option (B) given the choice. You will feel the pinch but in the end you shall be very happy becoz your watch is working perfectly. What is Ah Lam quality of work overall? He gives me the feeling "a typical rolex dealer". Not watch, rolex. :)

In my amateurish point of view, the watch need to be a completely overhaul and re-oiled.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 02:47:47 PM »
1. i do not thing wong kim will service it well for u.... but again if u dont send to them, part got problem.... u will have to bear it... it wont be cheap! case like this u may need to change few gear.... because change 1 will not help....

2. ah lam also not so good technically... all watches got problem he send to people to help.... his price not cheap..... because he make profit on top of parts and labors....

3. send back to ad u'll be slaughted!

i suggest u send it to my friend... (he is ah lam's watchmaker last time, now ah lam tough job still give him ). just try to open and see whats wrong first.... if alot of parts to change, send back to wong kim is better because is under warranty....

or u dont mind to pay...  i can also introduce u to the other friend, he is one of watchmaker in richemont.... he service and repair all richemont watches like pam, jlc and iwc everyday. he will charge u less than ad.... but he quite calculative and still not really cheap in my opinion sometimes! but i wont blame him for this because this is his profession, he has to make his living on over time....

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »
Thanks to sshark and yenfoolun for opinion and suggestion/s

I am open to all feedback and opt for the best.

Lam had service and repaired my JLC reverso and breitling before. He did a good job though.

I also know Lam's friend. Is he the one who had difficult walking ?

Thanks again.
DC
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:20:50 PM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 03:20:10 PM »
Now my dilemma, shall I sent it back to Wong Kim for rectification works – as the watch is still under house warranty and with open papers from the Cortina.

Send it back to Richemont if
1) The open paper has an AD chop. You can bring it back and fill in the date (let say 1 and half year ago)..
2) The open paper with valid warranty date, bring it back and you do not need any receipt from AD..

I suggest you bring it to Richemont first, let them have a look and quote you, if it's too expensive, then you can reject and try other places suggested by Chris.

The benefit being in back to Richemont is to have another year of warranty extended if the service is not expensive...

hope this help.
SC

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »
Thank u, yenfoolun. He answered 2 person's questions at once.

I know (not personally) a reputable watch repair guy here in SG. I sent in my vintage Omega for overhaul 3months ago and will get back it back next week. I will know his handy work then. He told me local ADs use his service and he has to close 3 days a week to catch up with the repair assignments. He sells watches (used and new) too. I know this is bit far fetch for u. Just to let you know, there is another option.

/lim/

Offline sshark

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »
Send it back to Richemont if
1) The open paper has an AD chop. You can bring it back and fill in the date (let say 1 and half year ago)..
2) The open paper with valid warranty date, bring it back and you do not need any receipt from AD..

Will the AD / Richemont will be suspicious for a 10 year old watch to send in for warranty? 3 ~ 5 yrs watch might be more reasonable. Just my thought.

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 03:29:07 PM »
Scott...how do I catch hold of Rrichemont..any phone / address / email..etc.

Sshark...you have a strong point there.

Or shall I bring the watch to any cortina outlet    (all option considered)

DC

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
true. what i'm saying is, just bring it to the service center to see what they can do for you.

like I said, the benefit is to gain a 1 year Richemont service if you do it there (if the price is not that much of different compare to other service center)...

I will get you the number (maybe i will call or YM you at night), i can't remember now, the receipt is at home :D

Cheers!
SC

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »
OK. I got it! Didn't remember I have stored in my mobile :D

03-21765888

Hope this help!
SC

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »

I also know Lam's friend. Is he the one who had difficult walking ?

he is not just ah lam's friend... he worked for him then went other place... then partnered with ah lam to open this summit shop.... ah lam handle customer he handle watch and other associate, locally and in oversea....

then ah lams also own the other watch shop in sg way...

not sure should i continue here.... just pm me if u guys wanted to know the details...
then one day, an incident happened... he gave up his share.... now he is working for citizen.... he still love watches as ever... so he still take up tough jobs from ppl like ah lam and other watch shop sometimes..... (so far he only dont take up 2 companies job, 1 is wong kim, another is pk time, will share some other time )

so now ah lam solely owned the focus time in summit!

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »
Scott  ...thanks, I just call the no. and was told that a normal service on IWC take RM1600 excluding parts.

Yen... thanks for the info. I will pm you for more exclusive and detail stories about Lam.

In that case, I would like to contact Lam's friend (what is his name & h/p no.?) for further details.

cheers
DC

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:19:23 PM »
I have just called Melvin at Wong Kim.
Told him the problem. he quickly responded by asking me to bring the watch (IWC) back to his shop, saying this watch had a 3 years house warranty. And he insisted it is FOC for service rendered

Told him I want a proper job done and a complete service carried out on the watch, and hints that I have no problem paying for the 'extra' charges incurred, if any.

I do also understand that wong kim had a full time watch technician working at the other shop in the far end on the same floor.

After knowing the service charges (rm1600 excluding parts) quoted by the AD, i do not not think that I could afford this 'bomb', Nevertheless, I will send the watch back to wong kim and strongly advised Melvin & his technician to give a proper 'service' and am willing to pay some charges, if any.

Thank you to all who responded and their opinion / suggestion/s to this thread.
DC
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:25:41 PM by David_cheong »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 07:01:56 AM »
good luck...
they should responsible for it.... they should even check first before hand it to you.... so hope u can get it back without charges and a well service watch!

Offline sshark

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2009, 10:21:36 AM »
All the best. Good to hear a happy ending

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »
David,
Sorry to hear about the unfortunate malfunction of your Ingenieur. I think you made the right decision to send it back to the vendor.
Hope everything turns out well.