Author Topic: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??  (Read 170202 times)

Offline davidtth

Re: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »
pam111 :)

Offline watchfreak

« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2013, 04:16:08 PM »
yup, that's PAM 111  ;D

Offline citytime86

• Merchants
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Is this place is at HK??? :Dancing_banana:

Offline phillyboy

« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2013, 08:07:39 PM »
Enkidu,

Wonder why you need other members to convince you that PAM is the right choice for you.

I am a Rolex Addict, owning about 8 of them including a Daytona, one vintage and Oysterquartz.  I would have never imagine to buy any other brand other than the trusted Rolex.  This is because I just wouldn't pay the hefty price for a watch with an ETA movement.

I first encountered PAM when my friend brought a 270; the one with 10 days PR. At first, I though it was too big for my 7" wrist.  Shortly after, another friend brought a 90. 

Than one day, I decide to read about PAM, their movements, movements, styles, straps, etc.  I realized that they have invested in R&D on developing in-house movements.  I asked my friends to let me try one on and realize that my wrist is actually adequately sized without looking silly.  I starting to pay attention to people on subways, buses and streets and noticed that PAM look great on them; many are women with smaller wrists.  Also, honestly, how many brands have watches that runs for 10 days; not Rolex at least.

Then one day, without any planning, I decided to buy one.  Then after another year, I brought another.  I hope I will stop, not because I don't like PAM anymore, but it begins to cost to much.

The spirit you are looking for happens without you even knowing it.  Do you remember when you fell in love with Rolex in the first place?  These things happen without you realizing it.  That's the beauty of it.

If you are looking for return when selling it after wearing for years, get a Rolex and make sure you get the right model.  If you looking for a break from your Rolex, why not try wearing a PAM.  Once you try one on, you will get the spirit you are looking for, trust me.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #304 on: March 17, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »
I have two in the household and I still think its not worth the money and its a fashion watch with very "questionable" history.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2013, 03:24:53 PM »
Wow, didnt know this thread existed. Kept me entertained over the weekend. Many good insights and arguments.

Personally, I like the look and feel of PAM, especially the radiomir. But just in the span of past 3 years, I feel it is "oversold". It's like being inundated by the waves after waves of PAMs. Maybe it's just the wide range of models they have but the "reintroduction" of LE turns me off. For e.g. I really like the PAM249 and after seeing it worn by one of my frens, I was thinking of getting it too. But then came PAM424... I would assume there are differences but it dilutes the special feel that comes with LEs especially if they look similar. Another one I like is PAM382 but it's too expensive for me... am not sure but think there's a "sequel"?

I also like the tobacco dial one and PAM372... very cool. But my fav was PAM292 although I preferred an automatic watch then. Was thinking of pulling the trigger for the pig dial as it was special but thought the pig might possibly appear somewhere else also.

Anyway, I was considering between Rolex and PAM as my first "luxury" watch.... it was my fav Explorer II vs Black Seal. After much thoughts, in the end, my wife bought the PAM287 on my behalf from HK in 2011. I've changed the strap but still havent worn it! (I have a bad habit of keeping new things unused incl. clothes). Well, I still plan to get the 216570 one day... but the poison has turned back time towards vintage...  :Cheers:   

"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: March 17, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
I have two in the household and I still think its not worth the money and its a fashion watch with very "questionable" history.

Actually the history is pretty well documented in the following:

Legendary Watches by Giampiero Negretti
Panerai Historia From the depths of the sea by Giampiero Negretti
Panerai Watches from 1936 to 1997 by Mario Paci
Panerai The Panerai Book by Dino Zei
The References, Watches with History - History 1 and History 2, all 3 books by Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann
Panerai by Giampiero Negretti and Simon De Burton

There are others I am sure.....

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #307 on: March 17, 2013, 05:38:18 PM »

The References, Watches with History - History 1 and History 2, all 3 books by Ralf Ehlers and Volker Wiegmann

I am really touched to find this old thread still inspiring and attracting response from members (freshies, newbies and guardian angels alike).

Just a few observations:
(a) The above publications are mostly (if not totally) coffee table books. So read with an unhealthy dose of table salt.
(b) Just because something is in print, it does not automatically become "history". Otherwise, Wukong the monkey god, Putri gunung ledang, Robin Hood, Snow White, Ali Baba all become historical figures.
(c) History is often doctored, usually by the victorious or those with vested interest. In this case, for example, if he also sells expensive leather straps for panerai watches, I won't be too eager to believe whatever he writes about Pam.
(d) The above observations are directed not just at Pam but also all those "historical articles" concerning other watches (so guardian angels need not start googling Sir Edmund Hillary as rebuttal).

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: March 17, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »

I am really touched to find this old thread still inspiring and attracting response from members (freshies, newbies and guardian angels alike).

Just a few observations:
(a) The above publications are mostly (if not totally) coffee table books. So read with an unhealthy dose of table salt.
(b) Just because something is in print, it does not automatically become "history". Otherwise, Wukong the monkey god, Putri gunung ledang, Robin Hood, Snow White, Ali Baba all become historical figures.
(c) History is often doctored, usually by the victorious or those with vested interest. In this case, for example, if he also sells expensive leather straps for panerai watches, I won't be too eager to believe whatever he writes about Pam.
(d) The above observations are directed not just at Pam but also all those "historical articles" concerning other watches (so guardian angels need not start googling Sir Edmund Hillary as rebuttal).

Regardless these books may be 'coffee table' books, at least they do publish the history of Panerai and the watches they produced. If or not they were used in the war or by the military, we can only read about it in these books, unless we actually meet the people who wore them during the war or were in the military. But then again we can always argue if they were really in the war, in the military, actually wore the watch, it is a never ending situation. We chose what we believe in.

As for things in print becoming history, fact vs fiction. I believe some of these stories, like Snow White and Ali Baba are classified as works of fiction? I could be wrong....

Anyway something that is not really coffee table material....

http://www.watchtime.at/archive/wt_2008_02/WT_2008_02_208.pdf

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #309 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
I believe the reason why panerai does not really "embrace" their history other than unofficially stating it as a "vintage military utilitarian design" because its associated with a military force with very "questionable and heavily debated acts of valor/terror even to their own people".

But undoubtedly it is created crudely as a diving tool. As for a more illustrious history, it definitely can't compare much to other brands and even a simple g-shock.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline spryken

« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2013, 04:47:53 PM »
after reading the PAM318 incident, it put my perception about Panerai in another way. no doubt their design is remarkable.

Offline CKL1213

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2013, 08:13:58 PM »
the PAM 318 incident still remain a mystery

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #312 on: March 18, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
after reading the PAM318 incident, it put my perception about Panerai in another way. no doubt their design is remarkable.

One of the many blunders by Panerai. Hope they learn from it....

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313 on: March 18, 2013, 08:39:01 PM »
I believe the reason why panerai does not really "embrace" their history other than unofficially stating it as a "vintage military utilitarian design" because its associated with a military force with very "questionable and heavily debated acts of valor/terror even to their own people".

A very thin line at that Terrence.

Offline spryken

« Reply #314 on: March 18, 2013, 10:42:08 PM »

A very thin line at that Terrence.

but, is there any clarification by panerai itself? any link that i can read up?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2016, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi legendofcondor87,

What is the "truth" you speak of?
I would love to gain some knowledge as i am a newbie to PAM.

a) Truth - PAM is more than a fashion house
b) False - PAM is just a fashion house
c) PAM is a great watchmaker that is fashionable too.

Please choose A or B or C.

:Cheers:

I choose C. :D

Offline asimo

« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2016, 09:22:25 AM »
I think panerai is not different than most other watch brand... All are profit driven and mostly owned by large conglomerates.. With strong marketing team to create the brand image n relevant marketing strategies...

End of the day , just buy what you like and can afford , and enjoy wearing it! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cocas

« Reply #317 on: July 18, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
I think panerai is not different than most other watch brand... All are profit driven and mostly owned by large conglomerates.. With strong marketing team to create the brand image n relevant marketing strategies...

End of the day , just buy what you like and can afford , and enjoy wearing it! 

Well said :thumbsup:

Offline Kennypane

« Reply #318 on: July 18, 2016, 08:03:39 PM »
aiyo Cocas u awaken the living dead?
Nowadays I wear my 210 on weekends?
Is it for fashion?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #319 on: July 19, 2016, 04:55:16 AM »
aiyo Cocas u awaken the living dead?
Nowadays I wear my 210 on weekends?
Is it for fashion?

:thumbsup:
I would say you wear a great watch during weekends.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #320 on: July 19, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »

But undoubtedly it is created crudely as a diving tool. As for a more illustrious history, it definitely can't compare much to other brands and even a simple g-shock.

Are you referring to the contents in this article?

https://perezcope.com/2016/04/05/panerai-and-the-nazis/

Offline asimo

« Reply #321 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:22 AM »
Interesting story

Offline Cocas

« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
http://www.askmen.com/fashion/mens-watches/the-watch-snob-challenge-panerai-4.html

Here is the Watch Snob 4 pages article about Panerai. You may find it interesting!

Offline elado249

« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »
Panerai indeed has a long story in watchmaking, great watch, considering to buy one in future. But the recent news regarding on how to send for service in malaysia a disappointment for me,myb not for others

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline asimo

« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
 don't care about what people say or the history ... you only live once... and there is today ...just buy what you like and wear it !
fashion or not...who cares .... btw, grab the last batch ( i believe is series R) of the basic panerai (entry level panerai) Pam 000, 005, 111  or 112 , before it is discontinued  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: