Author Topic: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??  (Read 170216 times)

Offline paneristi312n

Re: Officine Panerai - Just a fashion house??
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
What? Officine Panerai is just a fashion house..hahaha..Hell No! suit yourself.

Cheers!

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #176 on: September 15, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
is B&R a fashion brand  ???

Offline Perry Y

« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2012, 05:05:36 PM »
U will choose favourite n wear it no matter what brands nor how much it cost. If u think pan is too expensive compared rolex, then buy those watches u can afford. Panerai is well known, even can clearly see the recent Expandable members are wearing it. I dunno y u take it so seriously on that fashion matter. LOL. No more comments.

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
a fashion house is not "Just" a fashion house..... ::)

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
Well, I guess this will be less controversial if you were to call Pam a fashion watch aka something like frank muller, cartier and channel etc.

I am with you that Pam does not make impeccable movement, unlike some other very traditional wrist makers. Be that as it may, I think design wise, Pam is way better than rollie and or any other watches. Watch nut like us will probably wanna buy inhouse movement and trying to justify our purchase with some technical superiority and exclusivity. However, the truth is most of us probably couldnt tell the difference between 21600 bph vs 28800 bph.

10-20 years ago, not many people bother whether its in house movement or not. I think all these 'inhouse movement" notion is pretty much influenced by Rollie after they have gone in house. Some watch nuts like us may like to jump out and view ETA as inferior movement. However, how many of us can really tell the different between inhouse or ETA. Bet we do not even know how much works have been done by watch makers when they bought ETA Ebauches and works on it extensively.

Personally, I have no issue with reliable ETA which is efficient, reliable and cost effective to maintain. Ultimately, its a matter of dollar and cent.

Well, I think Pam is there to stay just like Frank Muller.

Anyway, most if not all watch makers are more of Marketing company now. We have been heavily influenced by their marketing campaign, be it on innovative, history or some stories. Pam is doing a good job in market positioning and distribution and nothing wrong with that. Just like PP has been brainwashing us on keeping watch for next generation and rollie is injecting the king crown reliable watch on most major newspapers and magazines everyday and everywhere.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »
To Arnold n Stallone... It's a watch that match their size in 90s

Now eta stop supplying, image.... they r into manufacture movement!

I still prefer a simple base movement pam... 17jewels enuf...

No body question the sky live vintage pam with Rolex movement

Rolex used corterbert movement that time

To... All watches is fashion...

Even dino like it

Offline GlySinn

« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
What is a fashion house? How do u define it?

Offline Vintimes

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »
Personally i think it is all about rebranding. Remember Tag Heuer, it was Heuer who was the watch maker then die off 1960s like most of the watches, it is Tag company who bought and merged into Tag Heuer and came out the first version of Tag Heuer Formula-1 late 1980s capitalised on Ayrton Senna popularity in the Formula One racing with Honda, since then the watch has evolved into one of the top brand after all the money spent in the rebranding exercise, only after that Tag developed their in house movement, other ETA has been supplying them all the movement like how ETA works with Cartier, Omega and many more brands.m

Rolex has got their own movement since early time, but not for Daytona the most highly sought model is 16520 with Zenith 400 movement, and strangely Rolex finally came with in house movementof 4130 in 2000 onward, the collector is not interested on Rolex In House movement but pay premium for the older model of Zenith movement.

So, it is really depend how the branding, marketing, rarity that will determine the popularity. Unfortunately ETA is a common name and mass production manufacturer, good reliable products but also widelyused by many players, therefore it is naturally becoming less special, i think Panerai in house movement is getting the attention now. But the question asked, which model of Panerai commanding most value now? Definitely not the latest newer model with in house movement, it is those produced before 1990s that highly sought by collector.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2012, 01:48:57 PM »
Zenith movement in daytona is 4030 not 400 n it has a pr of 50 hrs. The not so new ( yr 2000 onwards) in house movement 4130 has a pr of 72 hrs, dual coupling , vertical clutch ( sweep seconds hand will not jump when stop watch is activated), Easier to service compare to 4030, blue parachrom spring which is 10 times more resistant to shock, easy link strap.Overtime which will command a better demand ? I have both anyway, would any one pay premium for my older model? , I will gladly sell. regards tony..
Personally i think it is all about rebranding. Remember Tag Heuer, it was Heuer who was the watch maker then die off 1960s like most of the watches, it is Tag company who bought and merged into Tag Heuer and came out the first version of Tag Heuer Formula-1 late 1980s capitalised on Ayrton Senna popularity in the Formula One racing with Honda, since then the watch has evolved into one of the top brand after all the money spent in the rebranding exercise, only after that Tag developed their in house movement, other ETA has been supplying them all the movement like how ETA works with Cartier, Omega and many more brands.m

Rolex has got their own movement since early time, but not for Daytona the most highly sought model is 16520 with Zenith 400 movement, and strangely Rolex finally came with in house movementof 4130 in 2000 onward, the collector is not interested on Rolex In House movement but pay premium for the older model of Zenith movement.

So, it is really depend how the branding, marketing, rarity that will determine the popularity. Unfortunately ETA is a common name and mass production manufacturer, good reliable products but also widelyused by many players, therefore it is naturally becoming less special, i think Panerai in house movement is getting the attention now. But the question asked, which model of Panerai commanding most value now? Definitely not the latest newer model with in house movement, it is those produced before 1990s that highly sought by collector.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 01:57:13 PM by tonykpk »

Offline Vintimes

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2012, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
When Rolex used it on its daytona it is called a 4030 because rolex modified zenith 36,000vph to 28,800 vph. regards tony

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2012, 08:15:24 PM »
Not sure abt OP is fashion house or not but to me every single watch is "fashion/accessories" to me...be it PP Nauti, AR RO/ROO, Lange 1, RM, panerai, UN's Freak, HW & etc..

Btw I am not a collector and I can't afford the above said fashion.. Cheers

Offline digitax

• Freshie
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Very new into pane tai. Would like to ask which model has 40mm case?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:32 PM »
PAM 072

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #189 on: October 04, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

To name a few : PAM 50, 51, 120, 48, 244, 310, 333, 282

Just do a quick look up on the net and you'll get the models

Offline digitax

• Freshie
« Reply #190 on: October 19, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
Thanks alot ck and zameen. To be honest hardly see any merchant or members here selling a 40mm. Guess they are not popular compared to a 44?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #191 on: October 20, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »
Thanks alot ck and zameen. To be honest hardly see any merchant or members here selling a 40mm. Guess they are not popular compared to a 44?

Getting a 40mm Pam will get you banished in a corner..

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: October 20, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »

Not really as the 40mm Pams actually account for about 30% of Panerai total sales. It is just a perception that is driven by some that 40mm watches are not popular.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #193 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »

Not really as the 40mm Pams actually account for about 30% of Panerai total sales. It is just a perception that is driven by some that 40mm watches are not popular.

no names shall I mention lest an apology be demanded from me as well..  :Startled:

if i find a live one, i would surely try it on..

Offline legendofcondor87

« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »
Dear members,

It has always been my opinion that Officine Panerai is not a watchmaking company but a just fashion house like DKNY, Dior, ...etc.

Panerai watches are all more about looks + aesthetics. Panerai lovers' obsession with the leather straps and the multitude of companies making straps for these watches partly support this view. When the watches do not come with see-through casebacks, I have seen photos of the movement underneath being not just undecorated, but downright raw and rough. This is evidence that the company is more concerned about cosmetics than the actual performance of the watches themselves (considering the movement is the heart of a watch).  Companies like Stowa and Steinhart (or even Sea-Gull) have more self-respect than these Italians.

Considering their sizes, they look awkward as dress watches. Whilst some models have rotating bezel for diving, the majority don't - hence although these watches are claimed to be rated to 300m, they are practically useless as diving watches. In fact, it is not entirely clear which genre these watches belong to, except that they function as strong fashion statements for young people who want to appear bold and confident.

Their sale strategy (with countless special editions) shows they are not in the business of making good watches, but are here to play with human emotions and lust for exclusivity.

Let the discussion begin!!!

what kind of rubbish is this? PAM a fashion house?  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:
U crazy or what? or just ineducated? I have 9 PAM. 0, 5, 111, 112, 24, 25, 104, 161, 335. now i am targeting 424 cali dial. they are the best watch you can get now. why? i weare all of them every day. good engine, clear dial. how many do u have? why then you say PAM is fashion only.? nothing to do? i :Mad: :Mad: if u so terror go wear a Patek and alange lar. why? no enough $$? then don't talk so mucvh. read ur post make me damn t**l*n don want to hammert u also cannot. who say u can just tembak people's collection? you frust you got no PAM, jealous, need to let go? sickening attitude problem. real a**h*le!!!!!!! the mod of mwf must delete tyhis threasd!!! believe me we will all boycott mwf and your gtg. no one turn up then happy.  :Mad: 

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2012, 07:10:53 AM »

but...i love... :'( :'( :'( I love Wong Yat Wah and Barbara Yeung.. :'( :'(
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »
Where on earth do you get this!!!  :o

You got the tapes? I love this series. The scene where Wong Yat Wah use "18 palms of decenting dragon" (very confusing translation) is the coolest memory I have of any kung fu movies.

GAWD ... I can hear the theme song behind my ear now ... damn you, pexus  >:(

LOL

Regard
Tyler

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
Where on earth do you get this!!!  :o

You got the tapes? I love this series. The scene where Wong Yat Wah use "18 palms of decenting dragon" (very confusing translation) is the coolest memory I have of any kung fu movies.

GAWD ... I can hear the theme song behind my ear now ... damn you, pexus  >:(

LOL

Regard
Tyler

why me Tyler? why me?  :'(
You need to defend the brand more....but you failed....and now...they're not coming to GTGs anymore... :'(
I was in midst of buying a bow and arrow and a cool Mongolian fur hat to wear to the next GTG..

and now?  :'(
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2012, 08:03:42 AM »
what kind of rubbish is this? PAM a fashion house?  :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead: :HammerHead:
U crazy or what? or just ineducated? I have 9 PAM. 0, 5, 111, 112, 24, 25, 104, 161, 335. now i am targeting 424 cali dial. they are the best watch you can get now. why? i weare all of them every day. good engine, clear dial. how many do u have? why then you say PAM is fashion only.? nothing to do? i :Mad: :Mad: if u so terror go wear a Patek and alange lar. why? no enough $$? then don't talk so mucvh. read ur post make me damn t**l*n don want to hammert u also cannot. who say u can just tembak people's collection? you frust you got no PAM, jealous, need to let go? sickening attitude problem. real a**h*le!!!!!!! the mod of mwf must delete tyhis threasd!!! believe me we will all boycott mwf and your gtg. no one turn up then happy.  :Mad:

Dear Mr. Condor,

It's sad to hear you (and your friends, since you wrote "we will all") do not wish to join mwf's GTG. Perhaps a great alternative will be this very cozy place in Perak. You can reach there by train. Alight when you see the following sign board.........

and of course you can call before you arrive for pickup at the train station:

Hospital Bahagia Ulu Kinta
 31250 Tanjung Rambutan
 Perak Darul Ridzuan
 Tel: 05-533 2333     

For faster admission and VIP treatment, just print out your posting above, bring it along, don't forget to wear all your 9 expensive watches on both arms. I am sure the beautiful sexy nurses will make your GTG truly memorable.

yours sincerely,
Enkidu

PS: It's "uneducated" not "ineducated". 

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
come on guys...this is going a bit too far...

watches to me are just tools and fashion and we all love collecting them that's why we end up here...

we not just one-branded forum that's why some people might like one particular brand and one might like more then one.. that's perfectly ok... maybe just the words we chosen and used make thing complicated and misunderstood, i'm sure in general we don't want to make "enemy" here, right?  So, let's move on la~~~  :)

i don't want to add extra here to make things complicated..  Play nice ;)

All members are welcome to join any MWF GTG (unless stated with criteria but so far i have not seen one yet), if one decided not to join it is OKAY, no forcing here... after all, we all just a bunch of watch-enthusiastic trying to share and learn from each other through the GTG ma  :Cheers: