Author Topic: Cheergiant Custom Straps on Rolex  (Read 16936 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Cheergiant Custom Straps on Rolex
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
Not a watch review per se but a review on my recently ordered Cheergiant straps for my Rolexes.

Measurement for the left ultrasoft dark brown strap is:-
Length: 40mm and 70mm
Thickness: 3mm all the way.
Lug end size: 20mm taper to 16mm with an 8mm protruding end for Rolex Deployants.

Measurements for the right ultrasoft black strap is:-
Length: 45mm and 65mm
Thickness: 4mm taper to 3mm.
Lug end size: 20mm taper to 16mm with 8mm protruding end for Rolex Deployants.

Why the different measurement?
It is my 1st time ordering custom straps and I need to differ the measurements for the 2 straps as I was unsure of the exact 100% correct measurement that will fit my wrist and to make sure the deployant stays in the middle. So I have told Mr.George of Cheergiant that this 2 straps is ordered on a trial and error "Spirit"

Notice the uneven stitching on the longer brown strap? I was unhappy too but after mounting, that part sits under the deployant so not a big deal.

First up is the Tudor Submariner Snowflake 94110.

I used the Dark Brown Strap on this watch to match it with the somewhat aged Dial and Hands of the Snowflake.
Coupled with the Rolex Seadweller Deployant, it fits like a glove.
Sized just right for my 6.5inch wrists on the tightest setting.
When wearing, the deployant rests exactly in the middle.
Unlike when I was wearing it on bracelet, the deployant tends lie heavier on one side.
(Just a note that I wear my Rolex with all removable links removed)

And together with the Etur Endlinks, the strap and watch combo looks really good.
Like it's made OEM... with no gaps on the lugs and everything just fits like it should.

So, so far so good.
This pumped up my expectation for the 2nd strap... for the GMTIIc 116710LN

Mounting it 1st on the Rolex GMTIIc deployant.

Good, everything fits as it should be.
All my measurements are spot on... until when I tried to fit the straps together with the Etur Endlinks, it doesn't fit.
No matter how hard I tried, there isn't enough space for the springbar to fit.
Reason? The thickness being 4mm at the lug end.
That is my trial and error realisation no 1.
So I will put it in bold for anyone who wants to do the custom straps.

4mm thickness strap will not fit on Etur Endlinks.

So, my only choice is mount the straps without the custom endlinks.

I was pretty happy with the looks without the endlinks but I still hope to fit the endlinks in to make it look more OEM and clean.
Then there was another problem.

The GMTIIc deployants endlinks have different length, so after fitting in the strap, another realization.
I got the measurements wrong so this happens.

The deployants rests heavier on one side.
Now I have to re-measure the straps to see what length will be the correct one for my future order.

So, on with the Sub 14060.

See the length of the endlinks compared to the one below?

And also the Seadweller clasp?

It is these little lengths differences that make the straps difficult to measure.

Anyway, as expected... 4mm strap thickness will not fit with Etur Endlinks so this one will go in without endlinks.

Conclusion.
I am happy with the straps as the problem lies with getting the exact measurements right and it has nothing to do with Cheergiant.
I am also happy to be able to get Mr.George to make the straps as there is not many makers out there that are willing to do them.

For anyone wanting to try em out, I would say go ahead.
The watches look and feel really different on straps and wear really comfortably.

Thanks for reading.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
Re: Cheergiant Custom Straps on Rolex
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:54:04 PM »
wow... hanz... this is really nice... this is the first time i see ppl change their rolex bracelet to strap+ OEM deployment. :thumbsup:
Jacky Wong

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
Cool one bro  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing 
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:47 PM »

passionate job and great write up Hanz!  :thumbsup:...surprisingly, i like the way it carries the GMT2C...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:29:23 PM by pexus »
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
Looking good. I like the straps without the etur end links. Me thinks a visit to George is long over due. By the way, what do you think about the straps? Are you happy with George handiwork?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
I feel the same too.
Without the etur end links looks more "natural".

If it was me i would choose another stitch color.

So is the strap really "ultra soft" ?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:18:22 PM »
wow... hanz... this is really nice... this is the first time i see ppl change their rolex bracelet to strap+ OEM deployment. :thumbsup:
Trial and error bro... hahaha

Cool one bro  :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing

passionate job and great write up...surprisingly, i like the way it carries the GMT2C...

I like how the strap looks on the GMTIIc as well... just mulling over the Etur Endlinks... Should look smashing if it can fit.

Looking good. I like the straps without the etur end links. Me thinks a visit to George is long over due. By the way, what do you think about the straps? Are you happy with George handiwork?

Really Ivan? The reason for the endlinks is to make the whole setup appear more OEM like... hahaha
I like the endlinks. The whole reason why I embark on a custom strap to fit Rolex deployants is spurred by the availability of these endlinks. My thought is that if we wanna wear Rolex on strap, better do it the right way. Using the original deployants and not any sterile deployants or pin buckles.

As for the quality of the straps. Overall I am pretty satisfied.
According to George, this is his 1st time making straps like these so we are both on trail and error.
The stitching work could be improved, as well as the application of glue at some parts. Because it seems like some of it did not glue properly.

In my future order, I might be more specific on measurements and stitching requirements as I already have an example to fall back on.  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I feel the same too.
Without the etur end links looks more "natural".

If it was me i would choose another stitch color.

So is the strap really "ultra soft" ?

I am surprised by the lack of acceptance of the Etur Endlinks... hahaha  ;D
I go with white for the stitch colour this time just a trial and error strap and my priority is getting the measurements right.
But to tell you the truth, I am really bad at matching colours.
Maybe you can gimme some recommendations of strap colour and stitch combos for me?  ;)

And yes, the straps are really ultrasoft.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
I aint that good either hehe.
But i think for Rolex go for matching color with the strap or darker would work better.

How are the threads?
Mine seem to be not waxed well or of high quality. Kinda bulu bulu come out from the thread.

Just nit picking.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:31:12 PM »

Really Ivan? The reason for the endlinks is to make the whole setup appear more OEM like... hahaha
I like the endlinks. The whole reason why I embark on a custom strap to fit Rolex deployants is spurred by the availability of these endlinks. My thought is that if we wanna wear Rolex on strap, better do it the right way. Using the original deployants and not any sterile deployants or pin buckles.

According to George, this is his 1st time making straps like these so we are both on trail and error.
The stitching work could be improved, as well as the application of glue at some parts. Because it seems like some of it did not glue properly.

In my future order, I might be more specific on measurements and stitching requirements as I already have an example to fall back on.  :thumbsup:

To me, the Etur links with it's raised centre portion is more akin to the original end links, so it does not match leather straps. I would think getting the straps made like those on the Type XXI (Breguet) that fills the gap between the strap ends and the case is a better option. Perhaps I will check out with George if that is possible.

The issue I have with George is that sometimes it is hit and miss with him. I have 2 straps from from him, both for the B&R, yet one is 25 mm and the other 24mm. Don't know who is missing out, as there is 3 off them making straps. Overall I like his straps.

Peter,

I have a strap from another strap maker that started life kinda 'bulu bulk' but now totally 'botak'. Perhaps it did a brazilian on me.....

Offline takashi78

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 02:37:01 PM »
Hmmmm...mayb only the initial phase is like that.

But the watch is in the safe while i am enjoying my SD for the coming months.

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Cool man...

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
I aint that good either hehe.
But i think for Rolex go for matching color with the strap or darker would work better.

How are the threads?
Mine seem to be not waxed well or of high quality. Kinda bulu bulu come out from the thread.

Just nit picking.

Now that you mentioned it, yes...
The thread is like "berbulu"... Hahaha
And me being new to straps, i am not sure how the thread is suppose to be like.  ???
From the pics, you can actually see that the threads are obviously "berbulu"

Offline Scuderianer0

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:29 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »

To me, the Etur links with it's raised centre portion is more akin to the original end links, so it does not match leather straps. I would think getting the straps made like those on the Type XXI (Breguet) that fills the gap between the strap ends and the case is a better option. Perhaps I will check out with George if that is possible.

The issue I have with George is that sometimes it is hit and miss with him. I have 2 straps from from him, both for the B&R, yet one is 25 mm and the other 24mm. Don't know who is missing out, as there is 3 off them making straps. Overall I like his straps.

Peter,

I have a strap from another strap maker that started life kinda 'bulu bulk' but now totally 'botak'. Perhaps it did a brazilian on me.....

Those curved end leather straps are available online.
If i am not mistaken, Hirsch is the manufacturer.
Curved end leather straps could be done by cheergiant as i have seen it in their photobucket album.
Price wise I am not sure.
And Ivan, upon more inspection, it seems like the 6 o'clock side of the dark brown strap is smaller by 1mm... No idea how did that happen.

One thing that bugs me though.
From my 1st pics, we can definitely see the difference in quality.
Stitch wise and all... Different maker perhaps?

And unfortunately for me, it is the dark brown one seems to be correct in measurements while the better constructed black strap is wrong in measurements...  :HammerHead:

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 08:43:39 PM »
Great stuff Hanz, happy for you. Enjoy it...

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
Nice!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »
Wow! Very cool and really nice straps.
At least not only the "risti" can play with straps, "Loleksi" also can....  :Laughing_on_floor:
Thanks for sharing!

Offline JayJay

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 04:58:44 PM »
Tell me please,

How to go about it , i want this strap for my 2c ceramic

Thks

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 01:30:07 PM »