Author Topic: Victorinox Dive Master 500 Black Ice Mechanical  (Read 10563 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Victorinox Dive Master 500 Black Ice Mechanical
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:18 AM »
When I was travelling throughout Switzerland early last year, my only Victorinox target was their famous Swiss Army folding pocket knives. Although I was vaguely interested in watches then, that brand was never associated with watches in my mind. However, for the past few months, the brand’s professional series looked interesting. So, I got one.

The watch looks very impressive on its cushion. Its specification of having Swiss-made mechanical self-winding movement, Scratch resistant, anti-reflection sapphire crystal with a water resistant to 500M (50ATM, 1650 FT) makes it a very serious contender as a bruiser. Coupled with a 43mm stainless steel case (using the 316L stainless steel block) with black PVD coating, it is one cool looking watch.

It has luminous hands and markers and unidirectional rotating bezel. Swiss Army opts for a solid 60 click bezel that feels good to turn. Dial design is brilliant. It is set deep into the case, and is preceded by the flat gunmetal wall of the bezel and then a sloped flange ring. Each of the hour markers are applied, and contain immense amounts of SuperLumiNova. The night viewing on this watch is excellent if the dial is properly charged with light. As is the custom with Swiss Army watches - you'll see a smaller ring of number for military time. Large sword style hands are easy to see and read.

Attached to the watch is a thick, high-grade rubber strap. The blue strap matches the blue of the dial, and is very comfortable. It is one of the best quality rubber straps I have tried on. The Seiko’s and Citizen’s rubber straps don’t even come close. It is rubbery, but not sticky i.e. your hand moves smoothly over it, and the strap fits easily in the loops when putting the watch on. Because this rubber is made in Switzerland, I still reserve judgment on the quality. After a few months getting it used to the sun and heat of Malaysia, we will see whether it is better than the Japanese offered rubber straps.

The case is quite substantial in weight, but not large in size, just nice if you are average built. It has a very good feel on the wrist even though it is weighty. The large crown guard is purposeful and helps make the piece look quite rugged. Actually the case is quite rugged being water resistant to 500 meters. Despite the high depth rating, the screw-in caseback is a see-through caseback (sapphire crystal, no less)! This is the first watch I owned that have such an option. It isn't too common to see timepieces with exhibition casebacks that are water resistant to 500 meters. This makes the watch looks very sophisticated. Meanwhile, the crown is a screw-down.

Swiss Army uses an AR coated sapphire crystal over the dial as well as over the caseback of the watch. Swiss Army also used a higher-grade ETA 2892-2 automatic as the engine of this watch. This movement features smooth hand-winding (when you want to hand-wind the watch). The 2892 is also a thinner movement. This is one of the least expensive watches around with a 2892 in it.

For more see: http://watchcollectionhobby.blogspot.com/2012/03/dive-master-500-black-ice-mechanical.html
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Re: Victorinox Dive Master 500 Black Ice Mechanical
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:13 AM »
Looks pretty good. What are the rrp on those?
Wristshot? hehehe
Thanks for sharing!!  :thumbsup:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
wow not bad, with 2892  :thumbsup:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
Thanks guys!

Saw one stocked by an local AD and the RP was at RM3+k.

Here is a wrist shot (sorry, poor quality - computer camera). Wrist size 7.5 inch.

Offline shahzh

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Nice one indeed  :thumbsup:

Offline Everdying

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
nice...was looking at the black ice before.

the rubber definitely will last.
i got the night vision II which also has the rubber strap, more than 1.5yrs so far still very good.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:05:33 PM »
Wow 2892  :thumbsup:

Giving the big boys a run for their money. Wear it in good health bro  :thumbsup:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline Joshie

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »
Nice 2892. The only concern is the strap giving way because of the malaysia weather .  :-[

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »
I don't get it.

Why a rubber strap would give way in our MY weather? The heat turns our sweat into Xenomorph blood?

Nice 2892. The only concern is the strap giving way because of the malaysia weather .  :-[
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 02:29:13 PM by terrenceterrence »
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline pexus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
nice one......how long does the lume last?
`Learning to appreciate my watch as a tool, and not some fancy branded jewelry'

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
nice one......how long does the lume last?

Honestly, haven't noticed that before. As it doesn't not boast of a "special" lume, it should last reasonable long - similar to other typical watches.

Offline musclehedz

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:13:32 PM »
I have a quartz Dives Master 500. The lume will last thru a whole movie in the cinema :-)
Was thinking of getting the Dive Master 500 black ice chrono (quartz). What would be your thoughts on that model? If only the chrono version came in auto....*sigh*..

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »
It the quality of the auto can be used as a reference, the chrono quartz should also be a good deal