Author Topic: Buying pre-owned/vintage Rolex fine timepieces  (Read 37624 times)

Offline Godzillaz

Re: Buying pre-owned/vintage Rolex fine timepieces
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
So is a watch in the 80s. It should be easy to track the actual year. Curious about such a wide gap in the years.

Regards
Tyler

Bout 26-30yrs old.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 02:17:43 PM »
Wow! A very, very informative thread. I learn another lesson on Rolex from all the sifus/bro.s here.

To summarizes -
Vintage watch can be 20 years and earlier. That means watches before 1980s are deemed vintage.

Advices to someone who is looking to enter the pre-owned/vintage Rolex market -
From Bro Hobbit(Ivan) : Arm oneself by reading on the subject matter (from books, internet etc) and ask oneself if he/she is a purist or not.
From Bro Godzillaz(Tyler) : Stick to few basic sports model like GMT, Subs, Sea Dweller, E, E2 & Daytona. Reasons have a few plus point like easier to find reference and seller, not losing much in terms of value and easier to offload because it's popular.

Pitfalls to consider - as Rolex is so famous since many, many years ago, there are also many, many fakes. Another one is "franken" watch (I think from the term "frankenstein" meaning a "rojak" watch made from various parts not belonging to that model.

For me who is on a shoestring budget, I was informed to look for a manual winding Rolex.  :D
Looking particularly at the 6694. But I am at lost since there are too many decent and nice looking dials around.  :Confused:

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 09:03:21 AM »
Very informative thread here.

thanks for sharing people.
 :thumbsup:

P/s:this thread is poisonous! vintage poisoned!

Offline oldae

• Freshie
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 12:11:03 PM »
yup very nice write up guys!!! my next purchase would be either vintage oyster datejust or submariner...
really poisoning haha

Offline skuirtgun

« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2013, 10:16:21 AM »
Fantastic looking watch and history.

Hope you can share some pics of your beloved GMT and perhaps share the history (I'm curious to learn more about a service case for the watch) here.

:Cheers:

The watch.

Offline skuirtgun

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:16 AM »
How much did it sold for in the end?

Not Double Red but my friend was trying to offload this beauty... with papers and from Steve Mulholland

Offline mav23

• Freshie
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 11:22:21 AM »
Hi Danny,

Basically the watch is from 1964. The owner got the watch from a sailor who got the watch in Christmas Island. He (the sailor) was losing badly in gambling and decided to sell the watch. He sold it for a grand sum of RM300 which the buyer did not have. The buyer borrowed the money from a friend and paid the seller. Best of all the seller had all the papers with him (but no box). The buyer ended up with the watch and a RM300 debt which he settled over 10 months. All this back in 1964. He had the watch on his wrist since that day until the watch went in to RSC Malaysia for a service. RSC rebuilt the watch with a new service case, dial, hands, crystal, crown, stem tube and some of the movement parts. That was in 1986. The watch was on the wrist with no service for 22 years. Any doubt about Rolex and if it can last, well.......

The watch was in a bad shape when it went in and basically what you see in the photographs is from 1986 to today. The only thing that has been changed since then is the crystal, crown and stem tube (every 6 years). Oh yes, the watch went through 3 metal bracelets as well. Oh the serial number changed as well. The service case has the 43xxxxx to 47xxxxx serial number. Evidently these serial numbers were reserved for service cases. I do know that some RSC (HK and Philippines) use to engrave the old serial number on the service case (but not anymore).

What has the watch been through? Up telephone poles, down manholes, out to sea, trip around Malaysia, daily bath (for 22 years), basically never leaving the owners wrist. Testament to Rolex and its quality.

Best of all, I have the papers for the watch (including all service receipts).

great patina n history of your 1675. it would be nicer if the original dial survived. GMT's of 1964 are of gilt dials, small 24hr hand with serial of ard 1.1M+
in fact, rolex has also achieved "look after it for the next generation" as well. wear it in good health  :Cheers:

Offline mav23

• Freshie
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
How much did it sold for in the end?

Not Double Red but my friend was trying to offload this beauty... with papers and from Steve Mulholland

this mark 4 red sub is fitted with service crystal n 93150 bracelet. the so-called "correct" red sub bracelet should be 9315 in early 70's. however, these don't affect its value.

Offline Arcanum

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 03:18:44 PM »
I'm bumping this thread because I found it quite informative and would like to see if anyone else can continue the discussion :)

I'm learning more about vintage watches now while I'm looking for a Rolex circa 1984 to purchase. Anyone purchased a vintage Rolex before in KL? Can recommend any shops to look at?

Offline watchfreak

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »

Hope you can share some pics of your beloved GMT and perhaps share the history (I'm curious to learn more about a service case for the watch) here.

:Cheers:

The watch.

Holy shit, that's a beautiful piece i would love to own one!  :Dancing_banana:

Offline watchfreak

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 12:05:26 PM »
I'm bumping this thread because I found it quite informative and would like to see if anyone else can continue the discussion :)

I'm learning more about vintage watches now while I'm looking for a Rolex circa 1984 to purchase. Anyone purchased a vintage Rolex before in KL? Can recommend any shops to look at?
i am looking for one reputable shop that deals with vintage rolex.  if any knows of any, would be appreciative of you to share the contacts. thanks in advance! :)

Offline 9tailsfox

• Freshie
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
Hello looking for a nice 5513 sub. Anyone to let pls let me know thanks