Author Topic: Anyone know this Russian PILOT Watch  (Read 7817 times)

Offline khanwooi

• Anything, Just About Watch Knowledge
    • Vostok Russia Watches
Anyone know this Russian PILOT Watch
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
PILOT Automatic Russian flying ace Pokryshkin FliegerAss mechanical watch

anyone know this watch and brand - PILOT?
wanna ask is it good and is there any market selling it and the price if you all know may PM me.

by the way mind if any sifu here able to descript the history and story about this brand PILOT

thank :)

here i attached 1 of the picture
Khan Wooi

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
Re: Anyone know this Russian PILOT Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:14:41 PM »
it give me a picture quiet similar as the Aviator....
Khan Wooi

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
To my understanding, the Russian character on the dial of the watch in your picture denotes "Pilot". This meant a couple of things. There are a number of manufacturer who produces Pilot watches, notably Poljot, Raketa and one other brand.

Read from RussianWatches.Info that these are Russian Pilot watches. But very little can be gain from here. As for the movement, there are 2 or 3 different types. For example, the Russian mechanical chronograph watch Pilot Aviator 31681 utlises a Mechanical Poljot 31681 caliber, hand-wound, (diameter 31 mm) whilst the Russian Aviator Kozhedub and Nesterov employs the Automatic 8215 Miyota Japan movement with 21 Ruby jewels. Am not sure the watch in your picture uses what movement. Very likely, IMO, it uses the Miyota movement. An additional scale of XX century years (from 1900 till 2000) is put on the dial , on which the years of the pilot's life in your picture are marked in blue. The contours of the fighter aircraft is displayed at the bottom of the dial. The glorified ace gained the greatest number of his air victories during the war on this airplane.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 09:12:04 AM by Watchnewby »

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »
The pilot in the picture could be - Oberst Alexandr „Sasha“ Pokryshkin.
His autobiography is in German and I am not sure if this pilot is a Russian or German. But based on his name, I am inclined to think that this pilot is Russian but was given a brief autobiography in a German website.

[Note: IMO, the "German-theme" watches found in most Russian made watches are in reality not Russian-made watch. The parts are sourced from China (for the cheaper version), Japan (using Miyota movement, hence it's mid-price) and others (only God knows where these parts are made)]

Offline khanwooi

• Vostok Russia Watches
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:26 AM »
hi watchnewby
thanks a lot,
base on the name i do found the website about his biography, yes it writen in german, but as i convert the whole story to english,
he really do serving for Russian Red Army, but in what condition why it writen in german, could be the area he figthing is in german, is history i not really sure.

by the way what u mean with IMO?
to tell u this watch movement is using miyota 8215.
the part really from China?
Khan Wooi

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
IMO = In My Opinion
In Chinese, "wo ren wei"

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:33:56 AM »
IMO = In My Opinion
In Chinese, "wo ren wei"

Correct, correct, correct.

Hi khanwooi,
What I meant is that the parts may not be 100% Russian made like the old vintage Poljot, Molinja or Raketa watches. The newer watches which many claimed to be Russian made watch (just because the dial denotes some Russian characters) are simply made elsewhere and using parts from other countries. A good example is the 8215 Miyota movement used in the watch as shown in your picture. The dial, hands, crown or other parts - am not sure if they are 100% made in Russia or elsewhere, but IMO they are most likely to be in from China.

Will do some research on the current Russian watch manufacturer and post in MWF later in the week.

Have a Good Day.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 10:35:28 AM »
it give me a picture quiet similar as the Aviator....

BTW, the Aviator has an "A" in the middle. This Pilot insignia shows an "Anchor" which can be found in Poljot and Raketa pilot watches.