Author Topic: what is the different between authentic watch and original watch????  (Read 8113 times)

Offline 7nw

can any 1 tell me????

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Hahaha I was just about to tell him to open a dictionary. U beat me to it bro  :laugh:
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline takashi78

Great minds think alike  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
 :Laughing_on_floor:
Pete, you make my day...

Offline sshark

come guys lets play nice. he was asking the difference, not the definitions of the two words

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Buy from AD, peace of mind.

Offline David_cheong

Lets put it this way;

I have a pre-owned authentic rolex, model; 6694 for sales
All parts are original.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
I joined several watch forums, i am sorry to say that the senior here are not being friendly comparing with other forums. So much so until i actually almost wanna leave this forum. seriously. I think the purpose is to try to help the newbies as much as one could and not to make fun out of them.
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline sshark

this is not an english language forum. this forum is about watches. he can find the meaning of those words himself within and outside of the internet. he was referring to 2 generic words which basically meant the same thing. in case he want to find something specific or looking for a deeper explanation other than the obvious, then bring us into a context where we can be more helpful. it is like shooting in the dark trying to guess what is in his mind. when ask a question in any forum have this in mind,  "help us to help you" i.e. give more information and not leave it to reader to try to guess what is in ur mind.

in other forums, i hardly see anyone asking questions like this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:42:37 PM by sshark »

Offline Enkidu

Re: what is the different between authentic watch and original watch????
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
can any 1 tell me????

I often find both words used interchangeably and very loosely. I don't think most people are too discerning when they write these words. So, if you are buying a watch whether over the internet or from a pre-owned watch shop, it's best that you ask, for example, if all parts are original to the watch, whether any parts have been replaced and who and where was the replacement performed......etc etc (you get the drift I am sure). The 1st principle must always be "ALL SELLERS ARE NOT 100% HONEST, EVEN THOSE with 1000 REFERENCES" [2500 years ago, Master Confucius already warned all cultivated men that members of the trader class / commercial class should not be fully trusted. They and their children were barred from taking the Imperial Exams which would qualify them for officialdom. Yes, it was that serious. They also belonged to the lower class, below scholars, farmers and sometimes soldiers....]   

CAVEAT EMPTOR (and this expression is definitely not ambiguous!!!). Hope you find the above helpful, if not educational..... :D

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 11:41:07 PM »
can any 1 tell me????

I often find both words used interchangeably and very loosely. I don't think most people are too discerning when they write these words. So, if you are buying a watch whether over the internet or from a pre-owned watch shop, it's best that you ask, for example, if all parts are original to the watch, whether any parts have been replaced and who and where was the replacement performed......etc etc (you get the drift I am sure). The 1st principle must always be "ALL SELLERS ARE NOT 100% HONEST, EVEN THOSE with 1000 REFERENCES" [2500 years ago, Master Confucius already warned all cultivated men that members of the trader class / commercial class should not be fully trusted. They and their children were barred from taking the Imperial Exams which would qualify them for officialdom. Yes, it was that serious. They also belonged to the lower class, below scholars, farmers and sometimes soldiers....]   

CAVEAT EMPTOR (and this expression is definitely not ambiguous!!!). Hope you find the above helpful, if not educational..... :D
:thumbsup:

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 12:34:07 AM »
Hope this helps...or maybe futher add to the confusion :-\

Authentic and Original...generally, both terms are used interchangebly...as far as sellers are concerned. However, this does not mean that everything is smooth sailing fom this point...it can get a bit complicated ???

Best is to do as much research (via the net, books, mags, etc) when mind is set to buy a watch.

Example: A Rolex watch, a particular model may be released in several variations...like different bracelet, bazel and dial...yet there are cases which the watch ends up being a `rojak'. Owner decides to change/replace things...at the end, the watch may have different Rolex parts which may be `original'...yet the `authenticity' of the particular model is compromised.

Issues that may also be a point of concern will be things like aftermarket, custom fitted and refurbished.
Doing a PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) to an original watch will also compromise its authenticity.

Note: comments from a newbie to this forum. :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:43:40 AM by Hans Wilsdwarf »

Offline Plankton-IkanBilis

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
Just came across a local add:
Swiss Made ROLEX OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE SUBMARINER 16610 AUTOMATIC Men Wrist
COME WITH ONE RED AFTERMARKET BEZEL

No box or papers sold “as is” but guaranteed authentic!!
Guaranteed Authentic or your money back!!

...(excepts taken from the add)

yep...Rolex has not issued a Submariner with a red bezel...but you can't say the seller is lying...coz he specifically said "RED AFTERMARKET BEZEL"...as far as the bezel is concerned, it is an authentic aftermarket piece.  :D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:07:10 AM by Hans Wilsdwarf »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 05:40:09 AM »
no one is making fun of anyone.

You get worse from those big bad forums out there. There are no silly/stupid questions in life but of course you would get a ribbing if it shows in your questions that you did not put in any effort to look for the answer yourself before asking.

no one is an expert here and everyone is still learning. those who knows a little more..means that they spend more time reading  or going through the web utilising Mr Google.

I get one guy PM-ing me asking me whether can help him google a price of a watch.  ???
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline JPSP

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »
i interpret them differently.

Originality/Original - refers to design (for example tudor re-issued snowflake is relaunched based on the original design dated ages ago but fitted with different movements), parts (watch mechanism of a timepiece which is factory-produced) or condition of the watch (pre-owned watches that are still in pristine or same condition to the time when owner first bought it)

Authentic -essentially "real" watches with "real, original factory produced" parts

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
this is not an english language forum. this forum is about watches. he can find the meaning of those words himself within and outside of the internet. he was referring to 2 generic words which basically meant the same thing. in case he want to find something specific or looking for a deeper explanation other than the obvious, then bring us into a context where we can be more helpful. it is like shooting in the dark trying to guess what is in his mind. when ask a question in any forum have this in mind,  "help us to help you" i.e. give more information and not leave it to reader to try to guess what is in ur mind.

in other forums, i hardly see anyone asking questions like this.

bro, you are right.  :thumbsup: :Cheers:
watchManU