Author Topic: rolex thunderbird  (Read 9650 times)

Offline kschen

rolex thunderbird
« on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:45 AM »
Hi all,

I have been lurking around this forum for a while reading about other forumers' experiences with their watches. i am just starting my watch collection, i started with a tag link calibre 6, and recently i inherited a thunderbird 6609 from my dad. i want to restore the t.bird(now using flouted bezel), i am stuck with unable to find the correct bezel, just wondering if any of the sifus here can help me with this. i would love to post a pic but not sure how to do it.

rdgs

Offline Bobo Chia (Risen)

Re: rolex thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:10:50 PM »
I'm very curious about your watch
http://www.malaysiawatchforum.com/index.php/topic,1228.0.html
Upload some photo share with us please ;)
You can whatapps me 012 609 5276
Thanks

Offline kschen

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

Offline kschen

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
the advert is just for fun, my dial shouldn't have the thunderbird logo. i understand from a watchmaker that mine should be a turn o graph bezel instead of the flouted w/g bezel. the case cover has been replaced before, the rough estimate of the watch age is between 57-58, serial is 388xxx, the old man cannot remember when he got it liao.. dial, hr & min hands have been replaced.. so this watch is a united nations now. haha

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
kschen

To restore your father's watch to its original glory as shown could cost a pretty sum.

There is a shop you could always try, if you're local in the Klang Valley.

PM me if interested.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline kschen

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:19 PM »
i am in JB.. sigh.. anyone can recommend a good shop in JB or SG? 

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Rolex Service Center in SG.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
No offense but if the dial and case back have been change then how do you determine the watch is a turn-o-graph? Is there a reference number engraved between the lug?

If what you say is true about the dial, hands, bezel and case back have all been change then the only thing original is the case and maybe the movement.

You'll need to invest a considerate sums to restore it to original state.

Have you have a chance to see the behind the case back?

Regard
Tyler

the advert is just for fun, my dial shouldn't have the thunderbird logo. i understand from a watchmaker that mine should be a turn o graph bezel instead of the flouted w/g bezel. the case cover has been replaced before, the rough estimate of the watch age is between 57-58, serial is 388xxx, the old man cannot remember when he got it liao.. dial, hr & min hands have been replaced.. so this watch is a united nations now. haha

Offline kschen

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
Yup, only the case & the movement (1065) is original. The ref no. 6609 is between the lug. the case back is a 6305 (if i remembered correctly). I also went through with the watchmaker to determine the ref no, this watchmaker even brought out a big book of rolex catalogue to confirm. I am doing this as a past time, so I am taking this slow & easy. I have classic mini which I have for 8 yrs, and it is still undergoing restoration work, not sure if this works for watches too.  :Cheers:

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »
If you're willing to take your time then it's ok.

The one major problem would be getting a correct case back. It's next to impossible. Not only you need to match the reference number but also the correct year of production. I remember the 6609 wasn't produce until late 1959 so you'll need a case back that read "6609, IV 59" the roman number is not too important but the year must be within 59~ early 60s to gel with the period when your father bought the watch. It's a nightmare.

The dial and hands are possible even though very costly. You'll also need a roulette date wheel (alternating red & black numbers).

The bezel is another hustle as they are not steel but white gold. Sourcing a good condition will also cost a bomb unless you settle for a so so one.

Herculean task but I wish you success.

Regards
Tyler

Yup, only the case & the movement (1065) is original. The ref no. 6609 is between the lug. the case back is a 6305 (if i remembered correctly). I also went through with the watchmaker to determine the ref no, this watchmaker even brought out a big book of rolex catalogue to confirm. I am doing this as a past time, so I am taking this slow & easy. I have classic mini which I have for 8 yrs, and it is still undergoing restoration work, not sure if this works for watches too.  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:17:50 AM by Godzillaz »

Offline nhweng2988

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
hey ppl, i might have the same watch but the "stripe" on the "hour" and "minute" hands is black. The spindle of my watch is loose, i can't adjust the time and date now. ANyone knows where my watch can be repaired? I'm staying in SUbang Jaya.

Offline nhweng2988

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 08:36:26 PM »
[ img ]http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/user/nhweng/media/Rolex%20oldies/DSCF5325a_zps2570d005.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1[ /img ][ img ]http://s1291.beta.photobucket.com/user/nhweng/media/Rolex%20oldies/DSCF5326a_zps4481a651.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0[ /img ]